By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii Vs. Revolution

I was fine with the name from day one basically.

I knew "Revolution" wouldn't really catch on to any new people...it'd just be the Gamecube audience all over again. At least "Wii" got people talking.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network

Wii works better and it's easy to make series of titles like "Wii Sports", "Wii Golf" etc. Not that easy with Revolution.

They did Pokemon Battle: Revolution...but yeah...it wouldn't sound good all the time.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

I think the pronunciations thing may have been a consideration for the japanese actually, it would have been hard for them to get used to saying it. The other point i heard from nintendo was they didnt want a name that could be shortened and therefore lose its meaning and revolution would have been instantly called the rev.

I have to admit i was shocked when it was called the Wii, i already thought the whole remote concept would have a hard time being accepted by the general public and calling it Wee could have made the whole situation worse.

There is a point that few people seem to have noticed, Nintendo have marketed the machine so that people don't just call it "the wii", its often called "the nintendo wii", i think this is very good to connect the manufacturer with the product and therefore any future products will have instant recognition.

Does anyone else keep typing double i's after a W now, i keep typing wiith!

Also if it wasnt Wii it wouldnt be Mii.

Around the Network

Simply the name " Revolution " may sound cool but betrays Nintendo's revolution .

Wii is a fantastic name from a marketing point of view. 

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

fazz said:
Only nerds prefer Revolution... j/k

I thought just that too :P Either way, Revolution was just the code-name. 

To the brittish it might have sounded like that when they first heard it, but to the scottish it's "a bonnie wee!"

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

When I heard the name "Wii" I thought it was extremely stupid, and I didn't think I'd get used to it. I got used to it pretty quickly, and now I think it's great! It's also a perfect match for the console.

And Rath is right, the backlash about the name did spread out the word about the console!

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Both seem fine enough to me; I'd love them to name it errrrr... Trauma or... Stiles or something.

Vengi said:
TWRoO said:

@mikey, yeah Sega had the best names for their consoles....lets see if i can put all the names in order of how great they are for a traditional console. (i am leaving the Wii out because it s different, and i dont mean the new controller i mean the concept behind it)

I'm just going to do Nintendo, Sega, MS and Sony btw, i'm not going into the smaller stuff.

Genesis
Revolution
Saturn
Dreamcast
Famicom
(only in Japan really, because in English it's Family computer which isn't great)
Master System
      <---
Dolphin would fit here (code name for GC...i don't know any other code names apart from revolution)
Nintendo Entertainment System
Megadrive
(we in Eu get the crappy name of course)
Super Famicom
Super NES
Nintendo 64
(first one to explain part of it's innards in the name, which makes it a bit better than adding '2'/'3' to a previous name)
Playstation (the brand actually built itself past it's name though, no one breaks it down anymore and sees how naff it is)
GameCube (same as PlayStation but without the brand built upon it...this was the generation Nintendo tried to be Sony)
X-Box (last place for the main brand, but i think the 360 suffix is at least different to PS1/2/3)

It seems, Ignoring Wii (which is at the top of a list of it's own) Nintendos code names are much better nams for consoles than the final names.

I have to disagree with you TWRoO, at the time The Sega MegaDrive was a much better name then Genesis, anything with "Mega" was great in the late 80's Actually...I still think it sounds far cooler.

Wii is a unique name where as Revolution is a Word, this alone makes it a far better name for a product. when you talk about the  "Wii" people automatically ask "whats a wii"  or maybe "Wii?" it's makes it a topic of conversation. 

It's also easy to say, cute and fun. Wii is about being Easy to play and fun and it looks cute/simple/sleek so the name really fits it.

i didn't make the list on the basis of what was "cool" at the time otherwise x-box would be higher up because late 90s early 00s everything had to have an X or a Z in it, or certain letters written backwards.....If you have seen homestarrunner think of the fake band Limozeen.

Mega may have been a popular word at the time but i don't think it lasts as well, certainly not as good as Genesis.

It's annoying that most of the names are just combining two existing words; mega-drive/fami(ly) - com(puter) Dream-cast is easily the best of the combo names, it's something that sounds nice when you say it (like cellar door)
i would actually put a line under MegaDrive though to signify where the great names stop and the mediocre names begin....and a further line under N64 because the names under that are not good at all (not bad, but below mediocre)