By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii Vs. Revolution

@mikey, yeah Sega had the best names for their consoles....lets see if i can put all the names in order of how great they are for a traditional console. (i am leaving the Wii out because it s different, and i dont mean the new controller i mean the concept behind it)

I'm just going to do Nintendo, Sega, MS and Sony btw, i'm not going into the smaller stuff.

Genesis
Revolution
Saturn
Dreamcast
Famicom
(only in Japan really, because in English it's Family computer which isn't great)
Master System
      <---
Dolphin would fit here (code name for GC...i don't know any other code names apart from revolution)
Nintendo Entertainment System
Megadrive
(we in Eu get the crappy name of course)
Super Famicom
Super NES
Nintendo 64
(first one to explain part of it's innards in the name, which makes it a bit better than adding '2'/'3' to a previous name)
Playstation (the brand actually built itself past it's name though, no one breaks it down anymore and sees how naff it is)
GameCube (same as PlayStation but without the brand built upon it...this was the generation Nintendo tried to be Sony)
X-Box (last place for the main brand, but i think the 360 suffix is at least different to PS1/2/3)

It seems, Ignoring Wii (which is at the top of a list of it's own) Nintendos code names are much better nams for consoles than the final names.

Around the Network

Wii

revolution is the better name, wii spawns too many penis/urine jokes

I didn't hate the name "Wii" when I first heard about it, but like most people, I didn't understand it.

"Huh, I thought it was called 'Revolution' before. Did they misspell 'Wifi'?" I wondered.

Only when I saw the E3 clip of the Wii logo with the two little i's taking a bow did I say to myself, "Oh, I get it now." I was a lapsed gamer at the time, and "Revolution" did nothing for me. The cute little clip of the Wii logo with the i's jumping around--coupled with an explanation of the Wii's philosophy--completely enamored me.

When someone mentions the Wii you know right away which console it is. Revolution is too easily confused with other things; it sounds like some old thing from the '60s. Nintendo was brilliant in choosing the name Wii.

The urge to play is a terrible thing to waste.

Around the Network

'Revolution' was a far better name if they were producing a system which was similar in design to the PS3 and XBox 360 because it has an edge to it, and it will appeal to the core gamer ...

The reality is that the 'Revolution' is not as distinct and memorable as the Wii is, and I think the Wii is a soft and cute name which potentially appeals more to women and girl gamers ...

For what the system is, and for what it is trying to do, I think that Wii is a better name.

HappySqurriel said:

The reality is that the 'Revolution' is not as distinct and memorable as the Wii is, and I think the Wii is a soft and cute name which potentially appeals more to women and girl gamers ...

Somehow this sounds wrong now (I blame all those stupid Wee=Wii jokes).

Wii has worked.  There's really nothing left to talk about.

I mean, does anyone think Revolution really would have produced better results?

Revolution was the hope for the system.

BTW, I can't think of any stories where your grandma got into Wii Sports, loved how simple and fun it is, but throws the controller down in disgust at hearing the name of the system. If anyone did, would you want someone so anal in the gaming community?

Or your dad getting into it, but when hearing it's called the Wii, laughs at the system for having such a supid name, and then decides he's never going to play that system again, just because the name is so stupid. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

TWRoO said:

@mikey, yeah Sega had the best names for their consoles....lets see if i can put all the names in order of how great they are for a traditional console. (i am leaving the Wii out because it s different, and i dont mean the new controller i mean the concept behind it)

I'm just going to do Nintendo, Sega, MS and Sony btw, i'm not going into the smaller stuff.

Genesis
Revolution
Saturn
Dreamcast
Famicom
(only in Japan really, because in English it's Family computer which isn't great)
Master System
      <---
Dolphin would fit here (code name for GC...i don't know any other code names apart from revolution)
Nintendo Entertainment System
Megadrive
(we in Eu get the crappy name of course)
Super Famicom
Super NES
Nintendo 64
(first one to explain part of it's innards in the name, which makes it a bit better than adding '2'/'3' to a previous name)
Playstation (the brand actually built itself past it's name though, no one breaks it down anymore and sees how naff it is)
GameCube (same as PlayStation but without the brand built upon it...this was the generation Nintendo tried to be Sony)
X-Box (last place for the main brand, but i think the 360 suffix is at least different to PS1/2/3)

It seems, Ignoring Wii (which is at the top of a list of it's own) Nintendos code names are much better nams for consoles than the final names.

I have to disagree with you TWRoO, at the time The Sega MegaDrive was a much better name then Genesis, anything with "Mega" was great in the late 80's Actually...I still think it sounds far cooler.

Wii is a unique name where as Revolution is a Word, this alone makes it a far better name for a product. when you talk about the  "Wii" people automatically ask "whats a wii"  or maybe "Wii?" it's makes it a topic of conversation. 

It's also easy to say, cute and fun. Wii is about being Easy to play and fun and it looks cute/simple/sleek so the name really fits it.

"..just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake"