By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii Vs. Revolution

Knowing what we know now which do you think would have been the better name?

I fondly remember when the change of name was announced and there was an immense backlash to say the least. Especially in the UK where the 'Wii' was a homonym for the word 'wee' the colloquial term used here for liquid excrement. This was one of many things that confirmed for many people that the Wii would be a failure, but that hasn't been the case. I believe most people are confining in the fact that the name has not affected sales but I would disagree, surely sales are higher because of the name not despite it? Let's be honest Revolution was a crap name for a console and people only defended it because it sounded good next to Wii. It had countless problems; too long, too many syllabulls, too complicated, too arrogant, too similar to Xbox 360. Wii is clean, short and simple. Wii has managed to overcome any stigma or confusion and become a valued brand name, on its way to being alongside iPod and Virgin. It is the only current gen console to be referred to by its actual name.  Although some people may disagree with this, this is certainly the case in the UK.  Wii is called Wii not Nintendo Wii. Xbox 360 is just called Xbox, Playstation 3 is just called Playstation, these are significant failures in product branding and have certainly affected sales. It creates confusion amongst the mainstream and it certainly confused me too especially when the two generations were overlapping.

In conclusion, I would like to argue the point that the 'Wii' has the best name out of the current gen console and that its sales would be significantly lower if the name had remained Revolution. Any thoughts or comments?

Around the Network

I think Wii is way better, Revolution is just such an obvious name.

Revolution= next nintendo

wii is good for now.

mM

I prefered the name Revolution more.
Sounds really cool, Wii doesn't really so well :s.

No one never had this example :

*GF Calls*

You: Hi dear
GF: Hi sweety what are you doing?
You: Oh I am plaing with my Wii
GF: ..... What?.....You perv¨****

I am going to shut up my mouth now otherwise they will think I am trolling :s;

Hypothetical situation:

"Hey mommy, can you buy me the new Playstation?"

"Sure thing sweetie!"

*2 hours later*

"No mommy, you bought me the wrong Playstation!!!!"

*Meanwhile, at Sony Corp*

"Curse our faulty product branding, look at these sales!" "They're horrible!"

Around the Network

What sounds wierd in the commercial is the following:

Some guy knocks on your door and says "We want to play with you"

Now that is scary at first.. then the guy comes in your house and plays with you giving you his wii..

Pretty wierd if you ask me....

mM

I'd beat the guy over the head with my 360 and take the Wii.

Another thing is that I am sure all the negativity around the name died by the time it was released. It was as if it was too easy too insult that that everyone used up every insult in one day and and anything said after that would have looked sad because you would be like the kid a joke saying the joke evryone learnt the year before.

@konnichiwa
I think you make a valid point but most people would say 'on the Wii'

I think the revolution is a really good name for a console, better than x-box/playstaion/gamecube.

Wii however is something else, Wii fits perfectly with the Wii, Wii as a name isn't any greater than revolution ... but there is no better name for the Wii as the concept, as the idea and as the product.

If the X360 wasn't called this but had the choice between Wii/Revolution there is no doubt it has to be revolution.

Edit; i would also add i was one of the few who agreed with the name soon after i heard it...i will admit there was an hour or so of culture shock so to speak, but after that i liked it and could see it wasn't just some dull build of two words like Play + station or Game + Cube. (as for X-Box, that is just an awful name)

Wii are the Revolution.