By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Phoneix Wright Games have BLOWN ME OVER! (What a HIDDEN GEM)!!

Pheonix wright probably has the best storytelling of any game, ever. You are guided quite firmly, but you still feel like you are participating in the story.

Part of it is because you always have to think ahead in the story, trying to see where it will twist to next. It's just brilliant!

If you haven't played them yet, DON'T WASTE ANY TIME DOING SO!



This is invisible text!

Around the Network

Love the series. My fave new IP this gen.



4 ≈ One

Killergran said:
Pheonix wright probably has the best storytelling of any game, ever. You are guided quite firmly, but you still feel like you are participating in the story.

Part of it is because you always have to think ahead in the story, trying to see where it will twist to next. It's just brilliant!

If you haven't played them yet, DON'T WASTE ANY TIME DOING SO!

Killergran

You know I respect you, but

What.



I have been meaning to play some of these games. You guys think I'd like em?



Congratulations on discovering the Phoenix Wright Series. Apart from the Phoenix Wright Trilogy, there is Apollo Justice, and a Miles Edgeworth spinoff is coming next spring.

@Words of Wisdom
Greats links. I love the other version.



"To love and to cherish, in sickness and in health, for as long you shall be resurrected from death in the church"

Around the Network

no MGS4 has the best storytelling in a a game ever, right khuutra?

But phoenix Wright is up there!



All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Khuutra said:

Killergran

You know I respect you, but

What.

It is, of course, my personal opinion. But while the story in PW:AA is incredibly cliché, the way it involves the player in every little aspect of it is unique. The game is built completely on the player taking an active part in the story, rather than just it being there to flesh out the game. Contrary to regular adventure games that have puzzles that you have to solve in order to go on with the story, PW:AA has a story that you have to unravel in order to solve the puzzles. The result was that I simply couldn't put the game down, because I wanted to know what was going to happen next. The twists and the turns keept me on my feet, so to speak, and both the evident and the surprising ones felt good.

No game I have ever played have involved me in the story in such an immediate way. Many have tried, and a couple have come really close, but PW:AA takes the crown.



This is invisible text!

Ema Skye is much better than everybody else make sure you don't eat her.



darthdevidem01 said:
no MGS4 has the best storytelling in a a game ever, right khuutra?

But phoenix Wright is up there!

The problem I have with Metal Gears storytelling is that it is completely seperate from the gameplay. There is no storytelling during gameplay, and there is no gameplay in the story.

The stories that I have from playin Metal Gear Solid 2 are way stronger in my mind than the story of the game. Hiding in a closet and watching the enemies pass. Being spotted by a guard and shooting wildly, taking out his radio so he cannot call for backup. Being discovered and running away like hell. Sneaking past cameras with the help of grenades. These sort of situations that crop up all the time have no connection in the story.

As a game, the storytelling in MGS is pretty subpar. As an interactive movie, it's pretty good. As a movie, it's really rather awful.

Phoenix wright has storytelling that is amazing as a game, but pretty bad otherwise.



This is invisible text!

Killergran said:

It is, of course, my personal opinion. But while the story in PW:AA is incredibly cliché, the way it involves the player in every little aspect of it is unique. The game is built completely on the player taking an active part in the story, rather than just it being there to flesh out the game. Contrary to regular adventure games that have puzzles that you have to solve in order to go on with the story, PW:AA has a story that you have to unravel in order to solve the puzzles. The result was that I simply couldn't put the game down, because I wanted to know what was going to happen next. The twists and the turns keept me on my feet, so to speak, and both the evident and the surprising ones felt good.

No game I have ever played have involved me in the story in such an immediate way. Many have tried, and a couple have come really close, but PW:AA takes the crown.

I was going to disagree with your earlier post, but I quite agree with this. Phoenix Wright doesn't have the best story/stories, and I disagree with others that the characters and writing are fantastic*. However the way it is told, and the way you have to work out what's going on to some degree for yourself, makes it probably the best storytelling I've experienced in a game.

*the humour is good, but in a 'so lame it's kind of funny' way rather than really good funny writing. The characters are memorable, but they're not that interesting, just over the top. Aside from a small number of exceptions.



A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.