By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 360's Facebook and Twitter only for Gold members

fucking MS

Around the Network
Xoj said:
mesoteto said:
^agreed, i mean your paying to use their service, not to use facebook

there is a reason Microsoft live is the best online right now...and its not b/c its a free service

erm, you don't use Live to access facebook but your own internet.

ps3 have access to the full version with browser. for free.

So how do you take a screenshot in a game and post it to your Facebook page on the PS3? It's all very well saying "the PS3 has a browser", but it's a separate application that you have to fire up. If I need to use a browser, I walk into the next room where my PC is located and use a proper browser. I only fired up the browser on the PS3 once, and that was just to see what it's like.

Infamy79 said:
Isn't one of the main features of the Facebook/Twitter integration uploading screencaps and scores from online play? That means you'd need a Gold account anyway.

My thoughts exactly...One of the main features showed off was to upload screenshots from online play, so a Gold account is neccesary anyway. Besides, like the majority already stated...Microsoft wants that money outta your pockets, and this is just another incentive to get it. Get Gold. It's cheap ($30), and it's for a year...like Montana Hachet said, "You can definitely afford it, quit your belly aching."

Follow Me: twitter.com/alkamiststar

Watch Me: youtube.com/alkamiststar

Play Along: XBL & SEN : AlkamistStar

sguy78 said:
I hope Twitter dies a quick death.

i know, its a pathetic fad thats just popped in fashion.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

hardyhar said:
Reasonable said:
Guess MS really, really want those Silver members to switch to Gold - although I doubt Twitter & Facebook, both of which are free to access by just about any other medium including your phone, are going to push anyone to switch.

Just makes the whole thing seem rather redundant now.

They may be free to access on a phone, but can you take a screenshot in a game and post it straight to your Facebook page without leaving the game? That's the kind of thing you'll be able to do on the 360, because it's integrated into the dashboard and not just available through a browser that's a completely separate entity (such as on the PS3).

Wow, really?  Sorry, that doesn't make me see a lot of extra value.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network
hardyhar said:
Xoj said:
mesoteto said:

there is a reason Microsoft live is the best online right now...and its not b/c its a free service

So how do you take a screenshot in a game and post it to your Facebook page on the PS3? It's all very well saying "the PS3 has a browser", but it's a separate application that you have to fire up. If I need to use a browser, I walk into the next room where my PC is located and use a proper browser. I only fired up the browser on the PS3 once, and that was just to see what it's like.

there is a screencap feature in the ps3.

you are missing alot, hulu and youtube on the ps3 in a HD TV it's awesome.

I pay £26 a year for Xbox Live Gold and I don't have those features. Next year I will pay £26 for the year and I will have access to Twitter, Facebook and Last.fm via features that are actually integrated into the console. Of course it's a value add. If you don't use the features, you're no worse off. If you do use them, well cool, you just got some new features. lol.

twesterm said:

Was anyone expecting differently?

And honestly, if you care and you have an Xbox, you probably already have Gold. The only people that think this is a big deal are the ones just looking for more fanboy tools.

MAFKKA said:
I get that they need to up the value of being a Gold Member, but imo the Multiplayer feature Gold members access is as strong of a value as it gets. Also Netflix, but thats only in the US.

But is this really something that would push people over the edge to purchase Gold?

I just cant see it being the difference maker.

Who said this was going to be a difference maker?  It's something you already get for free on any computer with an internet connection (which you have if you have Gold) so it's really just a perk.

Two post above that statement.

"This is not surprising. Obviously MS is doing whatever it can to make a Gold account even more desirable."

And i responded with the quote you have there.

Xoj said:
hardyhar said:
Xoj said:
mesoteto said:

there is a screencap feature in the ps3.

you are missing alot, hulu and youtube on the ps3 in a HD TV it's awesome.

How do you post a screenshot direct to your Facebook page from within the game? You can't. Hulu blocked access via the PS3's web browser. YouTube content on a HDTV is awesome? No.

Besides, you can do that stuff on a 360 anyway........

If you have a PLAYSTATION 3, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, Moxi HD DVR, NETGEAR ITV2000, HP MediaSmart TV, or other DLNA-compliant device, PlayOn lets you watch Netflix, Hulu, CBS, YouTube, CNN, ESPN and more on your TV.

I have a PS3, so don't try and kid me that the browser is great. It's not.

UPDATE UPDATE!!

"Microsoft: Facebook and Twitter plans “not finalized” yet

Microsoft has stated that its earlier announcement regarding Facebook and Twitter on Xbox Live being for Gold Members only was “incorrect”.

According to a MS spokesperson speaking with MCV, the company is still “formulating its plans” for the services.

Granted, it stated: “Xbox Live Gold Membership will be required for Twitter and Facebook when they are available,” so it was no wonder people took it at face value."

Source: http://www.vg247.com/2009/08/27/microsoft-facebook-and-twitter-plans-not-finalized-yet/