By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 360's Facebook and Twitter only for Gold members

Expected.

Around the Network

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/35592/Xbox-360-Twitter-claims-incorrect

Xbox 360 Twitter claims ‘incorrect’
by Ben Parfitt | Email a friend | Print
1 comment
Bookmark with Social network

Microsoft tells MCV that plans for Facebook and Twitter access on Xbox Live are not yet finalised

Xbox 360 platform holder Microsoft has told MCV that reports claiming Twitter and Facebook access on Xbox 360 will be reserved for Gold members of Xbox Live only are incorrect.

The belief stems from a footnote in this morning’s announcement of a price cut for the Xbox 360 Elite console which stated: “Xbox Live Gold Membership will be required for Twitter and Facebook when they are available.”

However, a Microsoft spokesperson told MCV that the information is “incorrect” and that the firm “is still formulating its plans” for Xbox 360’s upcoming social network integration.

Facebook and Twitter were initially expected to come as part of Microsoft’s recent Xbox 360 ‘fall’ update but will now arrive some time later this year.

Was anyone expecting differently?

And honestly, if you care and you have an Xbox, you probably already have Gold. The only people that think this is a big deal are the ones just looking for more fanboy tools.

MAFKKA said:
I get that they need to up the value of being a Gold Member, but imo the Multiplayer feature Gold members access is as strong of a value as it gets. Also Netflix, but thats only in the US.

But is this really something that would push people over the edge to purchase Gold?

I just cant see it being the difference maker.

Who said this was going to be a difference maker?  It's something you already get for free on any computer with an internet connection (which you have if you have Gold) so it's really just a perk.

Well didn't quite expect it but now you get more out of your gold membership.

You can get a year of Gold for the price of a standard Wii game. I mean, seriously. I can't even count how many PS3 or Wii fans I've seen with dozens of games (many of them awful) complaining about paying $50 a year for Xbox Live Gold. You can definitely afford it, quit your belly aching.

That said, this feature is pointless.

Around the Network
sguy78 said:
NoCtiS_NoX said:
sguy78 said:
NoCtiS_NoX said:

Source: www.gamezine.co.uk

Microsoft has announced that the Xbox 360's Facebook and Twitter integration will only be available to Gold members.

Hidden in the depths of Microsoft's announcement of an Xbox 360 Elite price cut, we've found some news that we weren't quite expecting.

Although the company revealed that access to Last-fm would require a Gold Xbox LIVE membership, there was no mention of the free Facebook and Twitter services.

However, it now looks like you'll also have to be a paying subscriber for these two social networking websites:

"Xbox LIVE Gold Membership will be required for Twitter and Facebook when they are available, and is required for Netflix. Games, media content and Netflix membership are sold separately; a hard drive is required for storage," Microsoft's press release reads.

The social networking additions will arrive this autumn, and though their integration into the Xbox 360's dashboard is impressive, should free websites be limited to paying subscribers?

Do you own an Xbox 360?

No, why? but planning on buying it on the near future.

I'm just wondering why you are complaining about features on Xbox Live when you don't own an Xbox 360, yet own a PS3.

What!? I am not following you.

Guess MS really, really want those Silver members to switch to Gold - although I doubt Twitter & Facebook, both of which are free to access by just about any other medium including your phone, are going to push anyone to switch.

Just makes the whole thing seem rather redundant now.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

I hope Twitter dies a quick death.

Reasonable said:
Guess MS really, really want those Silver members to switch to Gold - although I doubt Twitter & Facebook, both of which are free to access by just about any other medium including your phone, are going to push anyone to switch.

Just makes the whole thing seem rather redundant now.

They may be free to access on a phone, but can you take a screenshot in a game and post it straight to your Facebook page without leaving the game? That's the kind of thing you'll be able to do on the 360, because it's integrated into the dashboard and not just available through a browser that's a completely separate entity (such as on the PS3).

mesoteto said:
^agreed, i mean your paying to use their service, not to use facebook

there is a reason Microsoft live is the best online right now...and its not b/c its a free service

erm, you don't use Live to access facebook but your own internet.

ps3 have access to the full version with browser. for free.