By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Official Pro Wrestling Thread

ganoncrotch said:
RVDondaPC said:Brock can't just Pin the Undertaker when he wants. It doesn't work that way. The ref knows who wins before hand and Taker knows to kick out before 3. If Taker makes any sort of movement and the ref goes by the script and says "Twoooo", the audience won't ever even know that Brock is trying to pin Undertaker because we doesn't care what the WWE wants. 

Self and some mates talked about this for a good while today, you know that it's in the middle of one of the SuperBowl arenas, like it will be a massive distance between the ring and where interference can be dealt out from the shadows. You say taker can kick out when he wants to, what I'm suggesting is that Lesnar would knock him out, as in Ko'd for real and then apply a legal pin, the ref would either have the choice of not counting him out or ending the streak infront of the WWE universe in a way that the WWE didn't want. Before you get started on telling me that Wrestling isn't real... I know this, but Brock likes money, it's why he was thrown outta the UFC for trying to earn money outside by betting against himself.

I think that while it will be 100% scripted to be a match Taker wins I know that inside that tiny head of Lesnar isn't going to be documentary and book deals of "the man who broke the streak and legitimised WWE" he could make a lot of money if he was to go against the story once the match was in play. And this isn't like the WWE womans championship which was won by the wrong Diva about 9 months ago during a match but the following Raw it was back on the shoulder of the person who was intended to win it.... the whole WWE universe will be watching it, whatever happens in the ring will be immortalised.

That doesn't make any sense. If Brock knocks out the Undertaker at will somehow. How would he make more money with that? He would probably get sued by the WWE/Taker if it can prove that he did it on purpose and would potentially lose his Wrestlemania bonus and any subsequent money from the rest of his WWE contract. The WWE would also never do business with Brock Lesnar again and he would be out of making millions of dollars for just a few weeks of work in the future. Not only would it be very hard to pull off, but it would also be a financial disaster for him.

Around the Network
Runa216 said:
Hmmmm, Wrestlemania card isn't looking good so far...

Orton vs Batista - Two folks the crowd hates for the #1 spot. Orton is decent but Batista is rusty as hell.
Cena vs Wyatt - Wyatt has proven to be capable as a performer, but this is not WM quality
Taker vs Lesnar - Taker is Old, Lesnar is stiff. I can see this being one awkward match.
Bryan vs HHH - I actually think this has potential, Bryan is technical, HHH has great ring psychology.
There will also be matches for the other titles, so let me speculate:
Intercontinental Triple Threat match - Big E vs Cesaro vs Swagger
US Triple Threat Ladder Match - Dean Ambrose vs Seth Rollins vs Roman Reigns
Diva's championship - AJ vs Tamina Snuka
Tag Team Four Way Elimination - New Age Outlaws vs Usos vs Brotherhood vs Rybaxel

I just don't see this being all that good if you want the honest truth. I see potential in some matches (anything the Shield are involved in, the Daniel Bryan match, and MAYBE the Bray/Cena match, but really? This sounds just dumb)

I disagree. I think it's shaping up to have potential. 

Cena vs. Wyatt - This could very easily be a big passing of the torch type macth. Or Cena could overcome the odds again while still giving a main event rub to Wyatt. Wyatts last two PPV matches were the best matches on the card, and he continuously has delivered in promos. The Wyatt fans and the Cena fans are probably the complete opposite so the fan interaction in this match will be great. And love Cena or hate him, he definitely gives a big match feel for any match he is in. Pinning Cena on a PPV is almost as big as winning the Championship.

Bryan vs. HHH - No doubt this will be a good match, outside of storylines. But the success of this match storyline wise hinges on the stipulation that Bryan gets a title match if he wins. If that happens this will be a big match that the fans will be really into. 

Taker vs Lesnar - This match will probably be a blood bath, two of the best big men in the ring ever and both guys like to wrestle stiff. The initial build has already elevated the tension between them in my mind already. I can't wait till Heyman and Taker go at it on the mic. And though Taker will probably go over, Brock is one of the few wrestlers that has a small chance to end the streak.

Orton vs. Batista - The potential for this match solely stems from the simple fact that the crowd is so against either man that it can't just end with one man pinning the other. Something has to happen, and it should be interesting to see what it is.  

IC Triple threat - Could be a really good match. All 3 are strong wrestlers with cesaro standing out as one of the best in the company lately. There isn't much heat on any of the wrestlers at this point but if they can get more heat on Swagger over the next few weeks it could add a lot to the match. Or even set up a heel turn for Big E, as I think Cesaro is destined to be loved by the crowd. 

US title triple threat - The only way I see this match working is if they can successfully turn Dean Ambrose heel and have the crowd hate him, which is pretty possible. Otherwise I don't think the audience wants to see the shield break up, and will not know what to cheer for in this match. 

Diva match - Usual potty break.

Tag Titles match - Probably be a pretty good opener match. I'm not really a big fan of the Usos, but it looks like they are setting up this as being their time to finally win the belts. Which will probably get a decent pop from the audience.

Shaemus vs. Christian - these two will find their way on teh card and probably against eachother. It would be nothing more than a filler match to get these two on the card, but still it wouldn't be a bad match. They are already setting up the fued. Both wrestlers can work and it will be a classic face shaemus vs heel christian match. Something most of the card seems to lack other than the HHH/Bryan match. 

That's 9 matches for Wrestlemania. Which is exactly how many matches they have had at Wrestlemania the past 3 years. I can see potential in every match. They still have 5 weeks to build the matches up.  That's a lot of time. 

d21lewis said:

I think Jerich getting knocked was part of the storyline setting up Punk vs Jericho at Wrestlemania that year. 

You're right I made a mistake. It was fake, but it did look really real. 

RVDondaPC said:

That doesn't make any sense. If Brock knocks out the Undertaker at will somehow. How would he make more money with that? He would probably get sued by the WWE/Taker if it can prove that he did it on purpose and would potentially lose his Wrestlemania bonus and any subsequent money from the rest of his WWE contract. The WWE would also never do business with Brock Lesnar again and he would be out of making millions of dollars for just a few weeks of work in the future. Not only would it be very hard to pull off, but it would also be a financial disaster for him.

Exactly what I was going to say. Lesnar would get sued and his reputation would be tarnished. Him knocking out the Undertaker purposely would be similar to the Montreal Screwjob. 

I used to worry about Lesnar too. When he came back I was positive he was gonna beat Cena whether the WWE wanted him to or not. He did the job so I think he respects the business. Every year I watch a Taker match and even though I know he's gonna win, I'm always terrified--especially that time he took on Triple H in the "End of an Era" match.

It'll be fun to watch Taker vs. Lesnar.

mZuzek loves Smeags. 😢

Around the Network

Joshi spotlight match of the week.

Really good contest between Natsuki*Taiyo and Io Shirai for the World of Stardom title.  Natsuki*Taiyo is so quick and agile, while Io Shirai (tiger mask) is one of my favorites.  She's fearless with her moonsaults and her athleticism is amazing.  She gets her nose busted by Natsuki's slaps but gets revenge with a double footstomp moonsault that had to hurt like hell.

pokoko said:

Really good contest between Natsuki*Taiyo and Io Shirai for the World of Stardom title.  Natsuki*Taiyo is so quick and agile, while Io Shirai (tiger mask) is one of my favorites.  She's fearless with her moonsaults and her athleticism is amazing.  She gets her nose busted by Natsuki's slaps but gets revenge with a double footstomp moonsault that had to hurt like hell.

Holy shit, THOSE are female wrestlers!  Why can't WWE hire women like that?  Some of those locks, grapples, and counters were up there with Daniel Bryan!  

Could use some work on ring psychology, though. 

SO I'm not to happy with taker vs lesner, lesnar isn't very technical so taker needs to do the work. for thefirst time i fear a boring taker match
i rather have had bryan vs taker, technical guys seem to be the biggest threat.

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:
SO I'm not to happy with taker vs lesner, lesnar isn't very technical so taker needs to do the work. for thefirst time i fear a boring taker match
i rather have had bryan vs taker, technical guys seem to be the biggest threat.

Yeah... and breaking Taker's streak is probably the only other match Daniel Bryan could have outside the title match that could avoid the rain of boo's on wrestlemania.

Runa216 said:
pokoko said:

Holy shit, THOSE are female wrestlers!  Why can't WWE hire women like that?  Some of those locks, grapples, and counters were up there with Daniel Bryan!  

Could use some work on ring psychology, though. 

Nice to see it appreciated, thanks.  =]  My theory is that the WWE knows their Divas would look like a joke if they brought in Japanese talent.

As far as ring psychology goes, Japanese promotions will often go outside of the "heel vs. face" set-up.  They shook hands at the beginning, which means they respect one another, so there was no build-up in that regard.  It's not a feud so they didn't play it that way.  Sometimes there is drama, sometimes where is just a quality match.