By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gabe Newell says the PS3 is a waste of everybody's time

TheBigFatJ said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
"There’s nothing there that you’re going to apply to anything else."

THAT'S the key to his comments. He's just reacting to the fact that the work on the Cell is so far on one device, that is selling below expectations.

If the Cell picks up in a few years, the way multi-core processing did, then investment in the Cell will be worth it.

Yet RIGHT NOW, the Cell needs a lot of work to fit all the data it can generate in the PS3's relatively small memory.

You seem to misunderstand the problem with the Cell. The problem isn't that it's too powerful for the PS3's memory, but that it's not as powerful as the 360's processor for gaming. The cell can generate a lot of throughput if you feed it very specific algorithms, but for most gaming algorithms it holds the PS3 back. The Cell as Sony originally envisioned it was twice as capable for gaming (general purpose CPU two cores instead of one).

I didnt' write "too powerful. I wrote "to fit all the data it can generate". There is a difference.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

He's just voicing what many people already feel. Any worthwhile third party game on the PS3 is either going to end up on the 360 as well or just cancelled and put on the Wii. He's extremely negative about this, but I agree for what its worth. I don't hate Sony, but I don't really see the PS3 contributing anything to this generation other than a lesson in how not to make a console.

I know this must be infuriating to many Sony gamers here, but that's how I see it. I guess you can take comfort in the fact I'm not a market analysis.

I wonder what the guys at Sony think about this?

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

well this isn't the first time he opened his month on the PS3. He spoke to GameInformer about a year ago and say the same thing.

Coming from a former MS employee, I'm not surprised.

Quack!

I'll bet my avatar and a 1 month ban that the PS3 by March 08 will be 3 Million units away in WW sales of the Wii. konnichiwa, Your gonna regret this!!!!!!

@GAMER GIRL--if you were you proably would be saying how great sony is as you cash an "incentive" check they wrote you

EDIT: 

Around the Network
Duckaluck said:
well this isn't the first time he opened his month on the PS3. He spoke to GameInformer about a year ago and say the same thing.

Yeah, its cuz hes biased.  I mean, him also going out saying DX10 and vista are a waste of time are just a ploy to make him look like he really isnt biased when he does in fact try to talk crap about the ps3, yeah.  Not to mention, he hated the damn x360 before also.   

Read the full interview rather then saying hes biased for microsoft, cuz in that same interview he mentions his original dislike for the x360.  Only reason hes into it now is because developing for it is similar to developing for a pc.  

@Mars.  Do you realise how difficult it is to develop for PCs?  Developing for consoles in a way is easy compared to PCs, cuz no matter what, the system is always going to be the same specs and hardware, hence ur working with only one setup.  

PC on the other hand, you have to develop a game to be able to work and support hundreds of different types of computer setups and combinations.  A console has one setup, and its not hard to know exactly how every part of the system is going to react to the other.  PCs, u got to deal with setups that each have differing GPUs, CPUs, MOBOs, differing Bios setups and what not.  You got to try and make sure its going to work for all that.   

First of all, this is the one guy on the market I hate. I'm sorry, but I feel he does more harm to the market than good. HL2. Great game. (when it came out) Next gen graphics? Hell no, it ran on a DX7 backbone, with DX8 and 9 shader layers added on top. The lack of bump-mapping on most objects reallyed showed the archaic techonology used in the engine. (hey, it would work on my 6 year old computer, flawless, when it came out tho)

I'm sorry, but here's all I got to say.

PC game developers HATE multithreads. Not to mention, Partial-threads, that scale, real time. I bet he REALLY hates the new processors comming to the market. 2, 4, and then 8 and 16 on the horizon. OH NO, THREADS!!! AHHH!!! BAD!!! NOOO~~ New PCs are BAAAD... Must... Use... Old... P4s... must... make... intel... continue... production!!! Make... Microsoft, Re-Create the Original x-Box... Multithreads bad... noo... everything... has... multithreads!! AAAAAAAAAHHHHHH *goes into fetal position in corner*

Sorry, but the PS3 isnt very diffrent from a 'next gen' computer. Dont get me wrong, I'm not saying identical. But multithreads are the future, and the entire game industry is based around, 1 VERY fast thread. To add more threads, turns their world upside down.

I'm not even gonna say how fast the PS3 is when optimized.

Everyone HATES the PS2. It is a hardware failure. Even though it somehow produced FF12 graphics!!! The hardware was slow, and impossible to program for. Yet, FF12 came to the PS2. 

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

prlatino86 said:
Duckaluck said:

Yeah, its cuz hes biased. I mean, him also going out saying DX10 and vista are a waste of time are just a ploy to make him look like he really isnt biased when he does in fact try to talk crap about the ps3, yeah. Not to mention, he hated the damn x360 before also.

Read the full interview rather then saying hes biased for microsoft, cuz in that same interview he mentions his original dislike for the x360. Only reason hes into it now is because developing for it is similar to developing for a pc.

@Mars. Do you realise how difficult it is to develop for PCs? Developing for consoles in a way is easy compared to PCs, cuz no matter what, the system is always going to be the same specs and hardware, hence ur working with only one setup.

PC on the other hand, you have to develop a game to be able to work and support hundreds of different types of computer setups and combinations. A console has one setup, and its not hard to know exactly how every part of the system is going to react to the other. PCs, u got to deal with setups that each have differing GPUs, CPUs, MOBOs, differing Bios setups and what not. You got to try and make sure its going to work for all that.

Ehhh.. 1 thread. One video wrapper file per graphics line. (one for nvidia, ATI, and Intel)

That's hard. Let's look at the PS3.

2-20 threads. With a AI system required to 'scale' the load.

Comptuers are easy. 

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

I love how fanboys spew out the term "bias" like it's a serious affliction or such a set thing. I seriously doubt his former employment at Microsoft is hindering him from liking the PS3. He's generally just an asshole all around sometimes, that's Gabe for you. He speaks out against Microsoft stuff all the time as well.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

mesoteto said:

@GAMER GIRL--if you were you proably would be saying how great sony is as you cash an "incentive" check they wrote you

EDIT: 

English speak it you don't?