By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gabe Newell: "sorry" to PS3 owners

Gabe,

You're right. PS3 fans do have a legitimate beef. This is what happens when you do not put serious effort into the development of QA of a game, and while I am not sure which one your company was guilty of with the Orange Box, the game itself shows powerful evidence of at least one.

An apology is a good start, but it will take serious efforts -and products which display evidence of said efforts- before PS3 fans trust you again, as is their prerogative and right. That is the consequence of what you did, and I am glad to see that the lesson has been at least partially learned.

As for me, this is not really my issue, as I am not a PS3 fan. I am a fan of the Wii -a console that has faced more numerous and serious instances of halfhearted effort than what you committed- so I know something of what PS3 fans feel over this. I hope you take this to heart in the future: when you undertake a game project, the gaming public places its trust in you to deliver your utmost efforts in developing that product and ensuring its quality. Anything less than your best is a betrayal of your own customers, and having done so, you are now faced with the prospect of winning back their trust. I wish you luck in that endeavor.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Around the Network

Honestly the anger isn't even aimed in the correct direction. Its EA that you should be pissed at PS3 TOB owners. Valve gave PS3 owners the chance of playing the games on the PS3 by getting EA to do the port since Valve has no PS3 team.

It is completely EA's fault for a crappy port NOT VALVE'S.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

ssj12 said:
ClaudeLv250 said:
ssj12 said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Omega_Phazon_Pirate. said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Dgc1808 said:
Wow this thread really proves to me that Sony fanboys are the worst (no offense to intelligent fans).

All I see is a couple of PS3 owners crackin' a few jokes.

So when Ninty fanboys did it to Jeff, it was they take games too seriously and they are the worst, but when Sony fans do it, it's "crackin' a few jokes."  Double standard ftw.

PS. I criticized Ninty fanboys for doing it, and now I'm doing the same for Sony, I'm sorry this offended y'all ;).

So when Sony fanboys do it, they're the worst.

Double standard FTL.

So when I called Ninty fanboys the worst for when it was their time, that's a double standard?  Cool!

No. I don't think you understand. When Nintendo fanboys did it, they were just bad. When Sony fanboys did it, it made them the worst.

OK, I have to interupt this discussion to throw in my view of timing when fanboys are their worse.

I have come to the scientific conclusion after months of observing fanboys that each type of fanboy has a time of the month where everything goes red and they go all l337 and craziness on the forums errupts.

I have yet to determine exactly why this is or specific weeks due to the number of weeks in each month changing but pretty much it seems to be a 4 - 5 week cycle for every fanboy on the site.

It is advised that people just ignore the insanity whenever it occures and everything will be OK.

I hope you guys get a laugh out of this. heh

I'm sorry but what does that have to do with Gabe Newell being fat? I'm going to have to report you if you keep derailing this discussion.

And what does Gabe being overweight have anything to do with the fanboy discussion they were having or the original subject of this thread?

Quit being ignorant.

Gabe Newell being fat always was the original discussion, you just didn't know it. Like the circumference of a fat circle, no discussion begins on or ends on Gabe being fat. He just is.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

ClaudeLv250 said:
ssj12 said:
ClaudeLv250 said:
ssj12 said:
MontanaHatchet said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Dgc1808 said:
Wow this thread really proves to me that Sony fanboys are the worst (no offense to intelligent fans).

So when Ninty fanboys did it to Jeff, it was they take games too seriously and they are the worst, but when Sony fans do it, it's "crackin' a few jokes."  Double standard ftw.

PS. I criticized Ninty fanboys for doing it, and now I'm doing the same for Sony, I'm sorry this offended y'all ;).

Double standard FTL.

So when I called Ninty fanboys the worst for when it was their time, that's a double standard?  Cool!

No. I don't think you understand. When Nintendo fanboys did it, they were just bad. When Sony fanboys did it, it made them the worst.

OK, I have to interupt this discussion to throw in my view of timing when fanboys are their worse.

I have come to the scientific conclusion after months of observing fanboys that each type of fanboy has a time of the month where everything goes red and they go all l337 and craziness on the forums errupts.

I have yet to determine exactly why this is or specific weeks due to the number of weeks in each month changing but pretty much it seems to be a 4 - 5 week cycle for every fanboy on the site.

It is advised that people just ignore the insanity whenever it occures and everything will be OK.

I'm sorry but what does that have to do with Gabe Newell being fat? I'm going to have to report you if you keep derailing this discussion.

And what does Gabe being overweight have anything to do with the fanboy discussion they were having or the original subject of this thread?

Quit being ignorant.

Gabe Newell being phat always was the original discussion, you just didn't know it. Like the circumference of a fat circle, no discussion begins on or ends on Gabe being phat. He just is.

No, the topic of this thread is Gabe apologizing for EA's crappy port. It was derailed into Gabe being phat. He is an awesome developer and is truly one of the greatest visionaries in the game industry. I'm glad you consider him phat or cool but i dont see what him being overweight has to do with either discussion of him being phat or EA giving PS3 owners a piss poor port of a AAA title.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please

ssj12 said:
Honestly the anger isn't even aimed in the correct direction. Its EA that you should be pissed at PS3 TOB owners. Valve gave PS3 owners the chance of playing the games on the PS3 by getting EA to do the port since Valve has no PS3 team.

I think it's more that Valve refuses to port anymore of there games to the PS3

I didn't notice much about the graphics for The Orange box because I never played the X360 or PC version so I didn't kow what they looked like, so the graphics didn't bother me to much.

Around the Network

Gilgamesh said:
ssj12 said:

I think it's more that Valve refuses to port anymore of there games to the PS3

I didn't notice much about the graphics for The Orange box because I never played the X360 or PC version so I didn't kow what they looked like, so the graphics didn't bother me to much.

They don't have a PS3 dev team. Valve is a massive developer in the industry but really they are tiny in terms of team size. They could afford to hire people but I'd much rather them pay their current staff properly and give me Half-Life 2: Episode 3 and just ignore the PS3 exists.

I'm also glad they refuse to let EA do a port of L4D and future titles to the PS3, the ports would suck compared to the PC versions.

If you want Valve's games, get a PC.

ssj12 said:
ClaudeLv250 said:
ssj12 said:
ClaudeLv250 said:
ssj12 said:
MontanaHatchet said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Dgc1808 said:

Double standard FTL.

Quit being ignorant.

Gabe Newell being phat always was the original discussion, you just didn't know it. Like the circumference of a fat circle, no discussion begins on or ends on Gabe being phat. He just is.

No, the topic of this thread is Gabe apologizing for EA's crappy port. It was derailed into Gabe being phat. He is an awesome developer and is truly one of the greatest visionaries in the game industry. I'm glad you consider him phat or cool but i dont see what him being overweight has to do with either discussion of him being phat or EA giving PS3 owners a piss poor port of a AAA title.

Gabe Newell is so fat that he was baptized at SeaWorld.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Gabe Newell's so fat, he had to go to Sea World to get baptized.

Gabe Newell's so fat, when he saw the menu in a restaurant, he said "Okay!"

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

I think it just occured to me that Gabe might be just a tad overweight.....eh who am i kidding, he is one fat ass son of a bitch