By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Piracy not theft because its a copy..

daroamer said:
FayeC said:
BladeOfGod said:
i am sick of people bitching about piracy.

The averige payment in Brazil is about 220-230 dollars. And one guy from Brazil told me that games cost about 120 dollars there.(the new ones) So you except someone to spend more than half of his payment just to get one game??? You people need to understand that not everyone can afford to buy games even thought they HAVE a job.

Its an even cuter argument when its "The industry needs your support!"

Yeah, let me get the phone numbers of all the hard working artists and coders from all the game companies that have folded in the past year and you can call them all and tell them how "cute" it is that you, and others of your ilk, have pirated their games and now they're out of work and can't feed their families. 

The argument that "I wouldn't have bought it anyway" is ridiculous.  If you 100% didn't want something you wouldn't even pirate it.  Someone can offer me free turd sandwiches for life and I won't take them because I don't want to eat turd sandwiches.  If you're pirating something you obviously have a desire, however slight, for that product. If someone has spent any amount of time creating something you desire, they deserve to be paid for creating that product.  End of story.

All I can say is the people who are pro-piracy in this thread have never created an original thing in their life.  I make non-tangible products for a living, I have had my hard work copied and in some cases resold. 

I have no sympathy for pirates.

That's another stupid arguement. 

Just because you want something to some degree doesn't mean you'll buy it.  Plenty of people want Rolls Royces but don't buy those.

For example there are a ton of games I just won't by new.   I buy them used.  To the industry it's basically the same thing as pirating since the original creators are getting nothing out of it.

Around the Network

Yousuperchunk are an idiot. It is FLAWED NOT THAWED. If you wish people to take you seriously you need to improve your english skills. The moment I reached that mistake I stopped reading because I feel it was safe to assume you are one IGNORANT FOOL!!!

Kasz216 said:
daroamer said:
FayeC said:
BladeOfGod said:

The averige payment in Brazil is about 220-230 dollars. And one guy from Brazil told me that games cost about 120 dollars there.(the new ones) So you except someone to spend more than half of his payment just to get one game??? You people need to understand that not everyone can afford to buy games even thought they HAVE a job.

Yeah, let me get the phone numbers of all the hard working artists and coders from all the game companies that have folded in the past year and you can call them all and tell them how "cute" it is that you, and others of your ilk, have pirated their games and now they're out of work and can't feed their families. 

The argument that "I wouldn't have bought it anyway" is ridiculous.  If you 100% didn't want something you wouldn't even pirate it.  Someone can offer me free turd sandwiches for life and I won't take them because I don't want to eat turd sandwiches.  If you're pirating something you obviously have a desire, however slight, for that product. If someone has spent any amount of time creating something you desire, they deserve to be paid for creating that product.  End of story.

All I can say is the people who are pro-piracy in this thread have never created an original thing in their life.  I make non-tangible products for a living, I have had my hard work copied and in some cases resold. 

Just because you want something to some degree doesn't mean you'll buy it.  Plenty of people want Rolls Royces but don't buy those.

For example there are a ton of games I just won't by new.   I buy them used.  To the industry it's basically the same thing as pirating since the original creators are getting nothing out of it.

Except now you're just arguing cost.  "I'd buy that game for $20 but not for $60".  You still want the game, you're just not willing to pay full price, but at what point do you think the game is worth ZERO?   At what point do you look the a developer in the eyes and say "you know, I know you spent 2 years of your life making this, and I AM going to play it, but I don't feel like you should get any money for it.  Sorry, try better next time.  I'm going to go have some fun with your game now.  Get back to work making more games for me!"

Buying used is not the same thing because at least the money is going back into the "industry".  The place you're buying the used games from will likely use that money to keep more smaller, harder to find games in stock or put it towards advertising which will draw people into the store who will purchase full priced games. 

daroamer said:

Would you pay for being a VGchartz forum member? If not, GTFO, because you have zero desire to be here.

Your logic= teh fail

There is a sliding scale of demand. There are peopl who would pay $100 for any game because they love gaming so much, there are others who would pay $20, and there are others who think twice before even spending time with downloading some of them, that is a very low, but existing interest.

Buying used is not the same thing because at least the money is going back into the "industry".  The place you're buying the used games from will likely use that money to keep more smaller, harder to find games in stock or put it towards advertising which will draw people into the store who will purchase full priced games.

This isnt rational. You have no idea what that money will be used for. Knowing gamestop, it will likely be to pay the very people they have to push used games. If youy choose not to sell to a game chain, then its truely anyone's guess where the money ends up. Possibley someone's rent or car payment.

I might as well say they money i save pirating this game, is money i'll spend buying another game. It maybe possible, but no where near a certainty. What im trying to say if we have money gained vs money saved in each instance. No one can truly say where either amount will go.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
daroamer said:
FayeC said:
BladeOfGod said:

You know I tend to think of that in these kinds of arguments. 

People talk about buying some used games one moment and then explode in rage at the mention of piracy. In either case that money isn't going back to the publisher or developer. With a store though, it could potentially go into bringing more people to the store, but the store would still be pimping their used selection. It's all going to depend on how the person or store who sold you the used game invests that money, which could go right back into other used games.

Heck, I like to rent games and I even had a subscription to Gamefly for a while. Sure, the business has to buy new games and such, but the way I see it I'm only spending a few dollars to play through and beat a $60 game.

I even bought a used game at a rental store once 0_0

daroamer said:

So you're saying your had no desire to play any of the games you downloaded?  So why did you pirate them?  Why would you want anything on your system you have absolutely NO interest in?  Why spend the time and resources to download it?

Simple answer really.

I like to try out a game before I even consider purchasing it and Nintendo, the cheap asses they are won't even host demos on their out dated online service.

Most, if not all games I pirate are for these purposes. I can't remember the last time I played more than 5 hours in a pirated game. If it ever came to that point (I buy JRPG 90% of the time) and I know it will keep me interested for the long run I go out and purchase the game. I have over 200 titles in my games collection in my sig and every single one of those games are retail purchases with 20 or so being used titles. I already purchased over 50 titles retail this gen, brand new.

I only started doing this 3 weeks ago and even though the 360 can easily be pirated I choose not to do so because they offer demos for my testing purposes. Nobody wants to buy something without having any clue what so ever if they will like it or not. I am not stupid enough to drop $50 just like that.

I also have a Gamefly subscription for this same exact reason, but if I do not like a Wii title and send it back it still takes a few days before the next one comes in. 

I do this because not only is it convenient, it enables me to test potential purchases. Nintendo makes more than enough to at least begin offering demos to us, we do have SD support now for channels. It not only would have prevented me from pirating but it can also help those 3rd party developers who wish to release games on their system.

I blame Nintendo.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

To all the blood sucking corporations out there: charge reasonably worldwide- and ppl will pay. I mean it must really pinch MS(just an example) to see consumers in say China or India not shitting $150 for a copy of windows. How dare they. Maybe if they charged $30-40 for it they'd see 5x the sales.

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business

eb30577 said:
You, superchunk, are an idiot. It is FLAWED, NOT THAWED. If you wish people to take you seriously, you need to improve your english skills. The moment I reached that mistake I stopped reading; because I feel felt it was safe to assume you are one IGNORANT FOOL!!!

Thank you for showing me the error of my ways. If it weren't for people like you, I surely would die in the gutter with my bell tipped shoes and funny hat.

Btw, I corrected your post with spacing, some commas, a semi-colon, and instead of a fully mistyped word, you had an incorrect tense usage of the verb 'feel'. Maybe you should reread your posts as well.  dick. (Though I could be wrong on the usage of the semicolon, however, I am pretty sure I am right.)

daroamer said:
Kasz216 said:
daroamer said:
FayeC said:
BladeOfGod said:

Except now you're just arguing cost.  "I'd buy that game for $20 but not for $60".  You still want the game, you're just not willing to pay full price, but at what point do you think the game is worth ZERO?   At what point do you look the a developer in the eyes and say "you know, I know you spent 2 years of your life making this, and I AM going to play it, but I don't feel like you should get any money for it.  Sorry, try better next time.  I'm going to go have some fun with your game now.  Get back to work making more games for me!"

No.  It's still the same thing.  Since they never sell there game for 20 bucks where they get a cut... buying used games puts money back into the industry... the industry of gamestop which spreads and forces it's tendrils into more and more markets, sells more and more used games and takes more and more money from others.

Economic theory states that people WANT to buy stuff.  People are socially and genetically programmed to buy.  VS paying a fair price for a product and stealing a product they will in fact pay a fair price for the product.

Or rather what they see as a fair price in product.  The only anomalies are the few people who are somewhat antisocial me first all the time would steal money from you if your not looking types.

Ergo the vast majority of people pirating do not equal a lost sale. 

The only REAL issue and debtate at hand among actual economists is whether or not piracy leads to a devaluiation of products.  There are currently no good data sets to test this theory.  The closest usually used in support was the rise of Napster and torrents but it's usually just disregarded by the fact that MP3's are dozens of times more usefull then CDs and largely more seen as a mistake by the music industry to not have had a concentrated MP3 plan in place.