By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Piracy not theft because its a copy..

IllegalPaladin said:
Kasz216 said:
daroamer said:
FayeC said:
BladeOfGod said:
i am sick of people bitching about piracy.

The averige payment in Brazil is about 220-230 dollars. And one guy from Brazil told me that games cost about 120 dollars there.(the new ones) So you except someone to spend more than half of his payment just to get one game??? You people need to understand that not everyone can afford to buy games even thought they HAVE a job.

Its an even cuter argument when its "The industry needs your support!"

Yeah, let me get the phone numbers of all the hard working artists and coders from all the game companies that have folded in the past year and you can call them all and tell them how "cute" it is that you, and others of your ilk, have pirated their games and now they're out of work and can't feed their families. 

The argument that "I wouldn't have bought it anyway" is ridiculous.  If you 100% didn't want something you wouldn't even pirate it.  Someone can offer me free turd sandwiches for life and I won't take them because I don't want to eat turd sandwiches.  If you're pirating something you obviously have a desire, however slight, for that product. If someone has spent any amount of time creating something you desire, they deserve to be paid for creating that product.  End of story.

All I can say is the people who are pro-piracy in this thread have never created an original thing in their life.  I make non-tangible products for a living, I have had my hard work copied and in some cases resold. 

I have no sympathy for pirates.

That's another stupid arguement. 

Just because you want something to some degree doesn't mean you'll buy it.  Plenty of people want Rolls Royces but don't buy those.

For example there are a ton of games I just won't by new.   I buy them used.  To the industry it's basically the same thing as pirating since the original creators are getting nothing out of it.

You know I tend to think of that in these kinds of arguments. 

People talk about buying some used games one moment and then explode in rage at the mention of piracy. In either case that money isn't going back to the publisher or developer. With a store though, it could potentially go into bringing more people to the store, but the store would still be pimping their used selection. It's all going to depend on how the person or store who sold you the used game invests that money, which could go right back into other used games.

Heck, I like to rent games and I even had a subscription to Gamefly for a while. Sure, the business has to buy new games and such, but the way I see it I'm only spending a few dollars to play through and beat a $60 game.

I even bought a used game at a rental store once 0_0

Well as the current economic theory is.  The thought it software piracy "Balances out"...

While there is a small amount of anti-social would pay 60 dollars but instead don't.  There are also people who wouldn't pay 60 dollars, pirate a genre of game they wouldn't normally play...and then enjoy it so much they buy stuff from that genre as their value perception of the game has risen.

Both are extreme and rare cases though.

Although the software industry has been shown to have a stronger example of expanding the market base.  Not videogame software however, no study has been done on that.

Instead it was a study on computer software like Paintshop Pro.  Whose popularity had a lot to do with piracy.

It's why Microsofts unoffical slogan is "Don't pirate, but if you do pirate us!"

When you think about it.  In a way piracy of microsoft products helps keep down free alternatives like Linux and whatever free graphics and stats programs are out there...

because people who otherwise can't afford it pirate windows and Office... instead of Linux and Open Office taking up the marketshare of basically the entire poor.

That's of course mostly theoretcial economics still and mostly for areas where having expaneded userbase makes a big difference.

Around the Network

Piracy not theft because it's a copy.

THE END.

This whole thread was pointless.

And it was an attack on someone's signature. I'm really suprised it hasn't been locked yet for that very reason.

Well it did bring up an interesting and controversial subject!
I say.. not pointless!

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

lol!!! an attack?! I didn't even name who it was. I think if we counted all the distinct users who agreed with me vs those who agree with you, I win. :)

It was pointless because we've gone around + around in circles bringing up the same point over and over again.

Around the Network

This is a terrible thread, and I agree it should be locked. Let it be. People here seem to respect each other to a certain extent, for a multinational website on these crazy interwebz of ours, that is a very rare thing. I don't think we are going to come to an agreement, or even a Ron Burgundy inspired "agree to disagree", maybe it should just be dropped.

Orca_Azure said:

Chances are they wouldn't have bought the game in the first place.

That is so wrong.  I know people who pirate (I'm proud to say I'm not one of them), and they pirate games they WANT to play.  Pirates dont say, "I'm going to download this game because I dont really want it, and I'm going to buy this game at a store because even though I could easily download it for free I want to purchase it."

ManusJustus said:
Orca_Azure said:

That is so wrong.  I know people who pirate (I'm proud to say I'm not one of them), and they pirate games they WANT to play.  Pirates dont say, "I'm going to download this game because I dont really want it, and I'm going to buy this game at a store because even though I could easily download it for free I want to purchase it."

Actually, yeah, that's how it works sometimes...

L.C.E.C. said:
ManusJustus said:
Orca_Azure said:

Actually, yeah, that's how it works sometimes...

In fact it is. I brought Prinny because my preorder came with a plush Prinny. I'll buy Persona because it will come with a sound track. I bought Crisis Core because its just to big to keep on my memory stick. Make it worth my money and I'll buy the game, you just have to make it more desirable than the iso.

Why do you even bother of posting this?