By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - First 7 minutes of Shadow Complex

It looks great.

Around the Network
superchunk said:
gansito said:
superchunk said:
1. Compete shooter copy of Metroid. Granted that's not a bad thing as I love Metroid.
2. Remember what we saw here as it is completely pwned by Metroid:Other M next year. Similar 2D/3D style and like Mario is to Platforming, Metroid is to Exploration-Action games.

Either way, a 360 owner would be stupid not to get this. Plus, a Wii360 owner who likes this would be stupid not to buy Prime Trilogy or Super Metroid off of VC.

I can't believe you just compared a downloadable game to a full game, don't be such a fanboy. We don't know how metroid: other m may turn out, so your statement clearly shows your bias towards nintendo. Both Shadow Complex or Metroid could end up being bad games, so don't pass judgement yet.  The developers always claimed they're bringin homage to metroid/castlevania, and this is a great take. Your last comment is off topic as well.

1. I compared them simply because they are in the same genre and obviously will be similar in many ways, except Metroid will be bigger (since not a dl only game) and excluding that will still be a better game as Metroid defines the genre.

2. My last comment is relavent. I know many 360 users who say they just didn't like metroid. Well, this game is getting hyped a lot and I bet many of those individuals will say how cool this game is, thus if they like this they should buy the two I listed for their Wii's.

Also, I am in no way implying this game sucks or that it is anything less because it is a take on the Metroid series. I think its great and would definitely buy it, if I had a 360. I think it looks fantastic and should be made into a bigger game. But, let's face it, no one argues that there is a platforming IP better than Mario, and with that there is no action/exploration game better than the Metroid series. Is that fanboyish, sure, but it is the truth.

Either way I'd really like to have this game.

Wow...Why would Metriod Other M be better?

Your trying to start a list war over Shadow Complex?

The devs were trying to tell people it will feel like Metriod...But I don't think this should called a "Metriod" killer..It's what your tring to shoot down before anyone even tried to say it was...

Your comment was a little of topic.....Since Metriod is a Sci-Fi Alien/Space game....And Shadow Complex is a Military Fiction game they don't compare that easy...The game is more like CastleVania than it is like Metriod...Granted the Missle animation is practically the same "Sprites"

Also...Alot of things are fundamentally different from Metroid..But the Games can fall in the same Genre...

Riachu said:
Munkeh111 said:
Zizzla_Rachet said:
Munkeh111 said:
It's not really much of a spoiler, it just shows you kind of what the game is about, and I think it looks great, apart from the 3D cut-scenes where character models seem kind of average

My god...Even for a 360 game you are hyped for..you can't help but be a anti 360 graphic troll...

So you are calling me a troll because I think the character models in the cut-scenes look a bit blocky. I know it not helped by the off screen nature of the footage, but his nose looked all wrong when he was looking at the monitor inside the facility

@ the kitchen sink, I called the Prince Nate as well

I can name quite a few retail released games using the UE3 that also has graphical issues.  Shadow Complesx is not the only UE3 powered game to have issues with its visuals.  Even Gears of War 2 has pop in albeit not to noticable.

One thing that I have noticed about the Unreal 3 engine...Is it loads graphics quick....It tends to have a certian number of polygons load with low textures and then the polygons with Textures load...In Gears Multiplayer you can start playing and some textures will not be loaded...I think the Unreal 3 somehow tries to maintain Framerates by some how filtering the Textures instead of loading them all at the same time....Lost Ody uses this effect ethier to its advantage...or tries to mask it by putting back grounds out of focus when the character is at a certian distance...I don't think these are graphical issues...I think the Unreal does this to make up for tools it's missing.....Arkham uses the Unreal 3...Along with a bunch of other middle war tools....and I don't recall those "issues" you speak of...but the game is not as good looking as gears 2....

Munkeh111 said:
Zizzla_Rachet said:
Munkeh111 said:
It's not really much of a spoiler, it just shows you kind of what the game is about, and I think it looks great, apart from the 3D cut-scenes where character models seem kind of average

My god...Even for a 360 game you are hyped for..you can't help but be a anti 360 graphic troll...

So you are calling me a troll because I think the character models in the cut-scenes look a bit blocky. I know it not helped by the off screen nature of the footage, but his nose looked all wrong when he was looking at the monitor inside the facility

@ the kitchen sink, I called the Prince Nate as well

I always call you out on your troll post....Nothing has changed...

ClaudeLv250 said:
Zizzla_Rachet said:
ClaudeLv250 said:
Looks like a generic Metroid. When I get a 360 I might have to get this to hold me over until Other M.

I at least like the idea that you're not a powerhouse (or at least that's what they're implying in the 7 minutes, who knows what you'll be doing by endgame) and can use the environment to your advantage.

Gameplay wise..Even the devs want you to think Metriod/Castlevania...

Story wise....No..It's not a generic metriod...This game is based on a book called Empire..

I wasn't talking about the story, I was talking about the gameplay...which pretty much is straight up Metroid but that was the intention. I guess what I mean is that the location, character and enemies are what's generic.

disolitude said:

This looks much better than what we;ve seen from MEtroid M thus far BTW.

No it doesn't. Let's not kid ourselves.

I don't know people are comparing this to Other M...I blame Chair for this....Other M is a full retail Release...This game is not..

Other M will cost what ever Wii games cost..And since it's a top tier game..it wont be cheap....Shadow Complex will cost 15 bucks.....You people should stop comparing this small game to a full game made by two companies of way bigger size than Chair....until the game comes out on Arcade and if it does well and if gets a full retail sequel....hold of on the comparisions...This game is probly not even a third the size of Other M....In terms of Gigs...

I don't think you want to say that it's generic...from what I have dug up about the Empire...It should be very compelling....

Besides...This game is based on Military fiction which means it has to be here on earth..and not exotic like a space traveling "Chosen" one fighting floating brains...

The real issue is how exactly does the tech in Empire compare to the Varia suit...

Around the Network

I will not watch this video.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

I won't watch the video either... I'll buy the game DAY 1 anyway.

I don't need to see this, I already know the game is gonna be EPIC.

My Gaming Setup

For the record...I did not watch the video

You didn't watch the video, but you are calling me a troll because I said that some of the character models are blocky!!!!????!!?!??!?!?!!

Munkeh111 said:
You didn't watch the video, but you are calling me a troll because I said that some of the character models are blocky!!!!????!!?!??!?!?!!

I have saw the E3 demo...and the XBL Vids....Don't want to watch the first seven mins....It's why all the other Day one buyers have not watched it...I call you a troll when you troll...Plain and simple...And you have a tendency to troll on 360 graphics