By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony reveals lifetime sales for PS3 and PS3 titles

Zlejedi: I don't mind that ioi would ban your Xbox 360 fanboy ass, but it does bother me that he would have to go to the effort. Why not try reading the above explanations?

Tease.

Around the Network
BMaker11 said:

You know what's funny? The same thing happened with MGS4. Every time Konami said they sold 4M+ copies, everyone was just like...SHIPPED! Konami kept "shipping" more and more copies of MGS4, while VGC numbers stayed the same. And I couldn't help but ask "Why would Konami "ship" out another hundreds of thousands copies of a game that no one (apparently) is buying?" or "If places like Wal-Mart or any department/game store just had these hundreds of thousands of copies sitting on their shelves, why would they order more, instead of selling the inventory they have already?" <---If you want to use the "shipped" argument

Then one day, magically, VGC finally had it above 4M (I believe 4.02M was the number), even though it was sitting at 3.92M for AGES!. What? Did 100,000 people just decide to go buy MGS4 that day....or will you guys admit that it's POSSIBLE FOR VGC TO UNDERTRACK?!

You do realize Konami was talking about "Metal Gear" at 4 million shipped, don't you?  Read the actual report.  It wasn't 4 million Metal Gear Solid 4, it was 4 million across the brand for the period.

What I find funny is people keep claiming VGChartz was wrong when it is THEY who are most often wrong.

Aside from this, read my post further above.   This has nothing to do with VGChartz figure for PS3 anyway.  It's about Sony's reporting method for their quarterly financial reports.   It is also well known that VGC has undertracked plenty and admitted it plenty as well as overtracked plenty and admitted it plenty.   I've never once heard Ioi proclaim infallability and yet so many members demand sales data changes basd on figures from reports they obviously do not comprehend.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Viper1 said:
BMaker11 said:

You do realize Konami was talking about "Metal Gear" at 4 million shipped, don't you?  Read the actual report.  It wasn't 4 million Metal Gear Solid 4, it was 4 million across the brand for the period.

What I find funny is people keep claiming VGChartz was wrong when it is THEY who are most often wrong.

Aside from this, read my post further above.   This has nothing to do with VGChartz figure for PS3 anyway.  It's about Sony's reporting method for their quarterly financial reports.   It is also well known that VGC has undertracked plenty and admitted it plenty as well as overtracked plenty and admitted it plenty.   I've never once heard Ioi proclaim infallability and yet so many members demand sales data changes basd on figures from reports they obviously do not comprehend.

True but...VGC isn't always right either.

tedsteriscool said:
Viper1 said:
BMaker11 said:

And if you would have kept reading, you'll have noticed I said exactly that.

Viper1 said:
tedsteriscool said:
Viper1 said:
BMaker11 said:

And if you would have kept reading, you'll have noticed I said exactly that.

Oh yep lol. My bad.

Around the Network

Acura Advance

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

I would say that numbers are sold and not shipped. This is confirmed by GameIndustry.biz which is not a blog and one of the reliable sources on the web. Here is the link:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/playstation-3-install-base-reaches-23-million-worldwide

VGC needs to do some adjustment and soon. It also mentions that software sales includes PSN sales.

My post (AGAIN) from the other thread.

1. Luke Plunkett from Kotaku just made a huge error.

2. All 3 video game companies (as with virtually all major electronics firms) report their sales as "sold". But they don't sell directly to you and I, they sell directly to retailers. Retailers ARE their consumers...not us.

3. Prior to March 31, 2007, Sony reported the total number of units manufactured. On that day they switched to the industry standard method noted in point 2.

4. Units sold to end consumers (that's us) are reported via 3rd party tracking firms such as NPD. Anytime, ANYTIME, either of the big 3 claim sales figures sold to end users (us again) they will always, ALWAYS, indicate the sales are in accordance with one of the tracking firms...be it NPD, GfK Chart Track or Media Create. None of the big 3 track point of sale because they pay those other tracking firms for the results of their services.

5. Every quarter Sony releases their financial information to the public on their Investor Relations web site. You may find the following statement on all of them since March 31, 2007, "From FY07 the method of reporting unit sales was changed from production shipments to recorded sales (FY06 reclassified). As noted above recorded sales for them are retailers and distributors...not end market consumers (us).

Being in the media myself, it always pangs me to see our industry writers do all they can to lower our standards.

-------------------------

GIBiz, whom I am a member of, is geared more toward industry professionals than the end consumer. With that in mind, everyone there fully understands that sold for Sony means sold to retail. Remember, Sony's consumers are distributors and retailers, not us as we do not buy directly from Sony. Not a single person there has suggest the article refers to "sold to consumers" because it's an understood issue and never was subject to debate.

@ ioi, what about software, Sony say 190m, you say 143m. I know PSN figures are included, but I assume that means there are some cases of undertracking (and missing EU figures). And yes I know that is sold to retailers

kowenicki said:
and still this goes on??? what is this?

It looked to have been killed until you just posted!

*kills thread with big stick*