Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
FilaBrasileiro said:
Kasz216 said:
FilaBrasileiro said:
ssj12 said:
kowenicki said:
@ssj12

well you implied you were and carl definitely is....

although i cant really make out what you are saying in your post... it seems you are saying that sony have asked marketing and tracking companies for figures and then reported them in their fiscals... which is clearly unethical and probably againt international accountancy rules. but then you might not be saying that at all.... i cant tell.... it was ambiguous.

well how else would the track 3rd party sales? PSN numbers they can track, first and second party they can track, 3rd party they probably can't easily do. And remember that all three of the console manufacturers report numbers like this. How do you think they track 3rd party sales? I doubt the 3rd party publishers are that willing to hand over sales documentation without a fight. Some they can both others would just give rough estimates like us or the NPD.

So no I am not doubting our figures, ok software I know we are pretty off on a lot of games but even ioi will admit that, I'm saying we have a good relationship (and I mean really good [on a side note I do have Phil Harrison's cell number =P]) with Sony and they could have asked to use our data to help figure out how much software actually sold if 3rd party companies didn't hand over records.

Lol yeah because Sony themselves would never know how many 3rd party games were sold on their system, afterall they don't get a roylaty fee and the PS3 is like a PC platform of sorts.

They get a royalty fee for each game shipped.  Not for each game sold to a consumer.

Of course and as I said earlier, Sony, Nin, MS are wrong and ioi is right. Always.

No.  Sony is right.  Ioi is right.

You're wrong.  Because you are misinterpreting what Sony is saying.

Not Sony.  You.

If you look at their financial report is specifically says they report sales as shipped.

Nope, Sony is wrong, ioi is right. Always. Do not try to twist this any other way. YOU are interpreting shit the way YOU want to interpret them, therefore YOU are wrong. Sony is wrong, ioi is right. And don't you forget that.

screw you *insulting swear taken out by a mod*

TheSource said:

Well, I can't prove that Sony's figures don't include digitally distributed games but Nintendo's annual reports specifically state that Wii Ware, DSi Ware, Virtual Console are not counted in the software shipments, and Microsoft always touts Live figures seperately from attach rates. Odds are heavily against Sony including the figures since the big three have exactly the same reporting methods in all other manners.

800,000 systems on shelves isn't that much really. If you look at the Wii figures it had far more than that on shelves through the end of June. Microsoft and Sony both likely held back on shipments for the quarter to insure current system-models would be depleted so that they can introduce new models for lower prices later in the year. Microsoft appears to have held Xbox 360 back a little more since their weekly sales are higher which implies a new sku or two pretty soon.

In the United States alone there are over 10,000 stores that sell video games. Worldwide it is 50,000 or more. So to have 800,000 more systems isn't really that much.

I am gonna repost this again and hope it won't fall into deaf ears, again.

From here:http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/09q1_eleki.pdf

"From FY07 the method of reporting unit sale was changed from production shipments to recorded sales" (FY06 reclassified)"

They also project a tripling in PSN sale to 50B Yen for this years (which would mean about 167 million USD in revenue for PSN last fiscal years on a 1/100 exchange rate)

They seem to be counting PSN title now, notice the word recorded sale which most likely mean software for which Sony have been pay (ie retail game sold to retailer plus PSN software sold.

Persons without argument hide behind their opinion

I do have a hard time to believe this.

Check NPD, GFK and Media Create / Famitsu are all supporting VGCs numbers. I mean 1 million more PS3s would make those research teams look stupid, because all of them undertracked the PS3... or just one of them BIG TIME.

So far, the VGC numbers make perfect sense to me. They were on spot with Xbox360s.

We will see.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network
Malachi said:
TheSource said:

Well, I can't prove that Sony's figures don't include digitally distributed games but Nintendo's annual reports specifically state that Wii Ware, DSi Ware, Virtual Console are not counted in the software shipments, and Microsoft always touts Live figures seperately from attach rates. Odds are heavily against Sony including the figures since the big three have exactly the same reporting methods in all other manners.

800,000 systems on shelves isn't that much really. If you look at the Wii figures it had far more than that on shelves through the end of June. Microsoft and Sony both likely held back on shipments for the quarter to insure current system-models would be depleted so that they can introduce new models for lower prices later in the year. Microsoft appears to have held Xbox 360 back a little more since their weekly sales are higher which implies a new sku or two pretty soon.

In the United States alone there are over 10,000 stores that sell video games. Worldwide it is 50,000 or more. So to have 800,000 more systems isn't really that much.

I am gonna repost this again and hope it won't fall into deaf ears, again.

From here:http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/09q1_eleki.pdf

"From FY07 the method of reporting unit sale was changed from production shipments to recorded sales" (FY06 reclassified)"

They also project a tripling in PSN sale to 50B Yen for this years (which would mean about 167 million USD in revenue for PSN last fiscal years on a 1/100 exchange rate)

They seem to be counting PSN title now, notice the word recorded sale which most likely mean software for which Sony have been pay (ie retail game sold to retailer plus PSN software sold.

Im In Love with a Girl Named KM and I accidentally slapped her :S You think she hates me? And If this is true and it probably is then How does Sony know? and Good for them if its 23.8m

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

@kowenicki
What the hell is your problem?You just keep spamming same stuff.

Take my love, take my land..

if sony says its shippend then its shipped they didnt say shipped soo its SOLd!
if microsoft would say they sold 35mil xbox360's VGC wil change the sold units instantly then all of a sudden its sold and not shipped.. soo cut that crap and change the numbers...\
Sony maxe the ps3's Duhh they know it 100x better what they sold than vgc chats... damn VGC doesnt even have numbers for the pain blu ray... let alone ALL the ps3 sales!

It is very simple, it is sold, but sold by Sony to retailers or in the PSN games case, to consumers, but the hardware is sold to retailers

And just another thing, they say they have sold 190m games, to retailers and consumers via PSN, VGC figures have 143m games sold, so I would guess there is some undertracking

The retail games are definately shipped, as is the hardware... there is no doubting that because they can't report sales to gamers for things like that in their fiscal reports.... not that they would even want to as it would be a lower, less accurate figure (like Torrilian said)

Whether PSN games is included is a matter for debate I suppose, Sony does actually recieve money directly for PSN games so I don't see there being any problem with them including that. (but I am doubtful they would)

So there are 2 choices.... it is shipped and doesn't include PSN OR it is shipped and includes PSN.
There are no other choices... you can stop ratting on about 800k being a high number to be on shelves because it isn't, shipments will average out to have between 1-2 months supply of stock at any given time (or 400-800k for PS3 hardware) BUT it is not a constant... it could easily fluctuate down to 2-3 weeks, or up to 3 months supply with no noticable effect on store shelves.

(any more either way and you get a glut of stock, or low stock... like the X360s massive supply for Christmas 2006, or the Wii in very short supply from launch until Jan/Feb 2009)