By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony reveals lifetime sales for PS3 and PS3 titles

FootballFan said:
It isn't shipped. You cant have that and include PSN games.

Yes you can.  You can take the shipped number.... then add the number of PSN games sold.

Bingo.

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
kowenicki said:
@ssj12

well you implied you were and carl definitely is....

although i cant really make out what you are saying in your post... it seems you are saying that sony have asked marketing and tracking companies for figures and then reported them in their fiscals... which is clearly unethical and probably againt international accountancy rules. but then you might not be saying that at all.... i cant tell.... it was ambiguous.

well how else would the track 3rd party sales? PSN numbers they can track, first and second party they can track, 3rd party they probably can't easily do. And remember that all three of the console manufacturers report numbers like this. How do you think they track 3rd party sales? I doubt the 3rd party publishers are that willing to hand over sales documentation without a fight. Some they can both others would just give rough estimates like us or the NPD.

So no I am not doubting our figures, ok software I know we are pretty off on a lot of games but even ioi will admit that, I'm saying we have a good relationship (and I mean really good [on a side note I do have Phil Harrison's cell number =P]) with Sony and they could have asked to use our data to help figure out how much software actually sold if 3rd party companies didn't hand over records.

Lol yeah because Sony themselves would never know how many 3rd party games were sold on their system, afterall they don't get a roylaty fee and the PS3 is like a PC platform of sorts.

Spedfrom said:
5 to 10 million on storeshelves? Are you drunk?

You're right, more like 10-15 million on store shelves at any given time. Thanks for that and sorry for my earlier mistake.

sguy78 said:
But what about the Walkman?

Dead in the water, even though the new X series is nice, it's just too late with Apple and their 80%+ marketshare

Or is it? Sony had roughly that amount of market share with the PS2. Lo and behold the number now.

Around the Network
FilaBrasileiro said:
ssj12 said:
kowenicki said:
@ssj12

although i cant really make out what you are saying in your post... it seems you are saying that sony have asked marketing and tracking companies for figures and then reported them in their fiscals... which is clearly unethical and probably againt international accountancy rules. but then you might not be saying that at all.... i cant tell.... it was ambiguous.

well how else would the track 3rd party sales? PSN numbers they can track, first and second party they can track, 3rd party they probably can't easily do. And remember that all three of the console manufacturers report numbers like this. How do you think they track 3rd party sales? I doubt the 3rd party publishers are that willing to hand over sales documentation without a fight. Some they can both others would just give rough estimates like us or the NPD.

So no I am not doubting our figures, ok software I know we are pretty off on a lot of games but even ioi will admit that, I'm saying we have a good relationship (and I mean really good [on a side note I do have Phil Harrison's cell number =P]) with Sony and they could have asked to use our data to help figure out how much software actually sold if 3rd party companies didn't hand over records.

Lol yeah because Sony themselves would never know how many 3rd party games were sold on their system, afterall they don't get a roylaty fee and the PS3 is like a PC platform of sorts.

They get a royalty fee for each game shipped.  Not for each game sold to a consumer.

Kasz216 said:
FilaBrasileiro said:
ssj12 said:
kowenicki said:
@ssj12

They get a royalty fee for each game shipped.  Not for each game sold to a consumer.

Of course and as I said earlier, Sony, Nin, MS are wrong and ioi is right. Always.

FilaBrasileiro said:
Kasz216 said:
FilaBrasileiro said:
ssj12 said:
kowenicki said:
@ssj12

Of course and as I said earlier, Sony, Nin, MS are wrong and ioi is right. Always.

No.  Sony is right.  Ioi is right.

You're wrong.  Because you are misinterpreting what Sony is saying.

Not Sony.  You.

If you look at their financial report is specifically says they report sales as shipped.

I'll take Sony, MS, and Nintendo's numbers over VCG any day.

loy310 said:
I'll take Sony, MS, and Nintendo's numbers over VCG any day.

Numbers are useless unless you know what they mean.