By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What will it take to admit there will be no Sony comeback this gen?

So what is the point in saying the PS3 has a 10 year plan if sony themselves have a plan to make it obselete when Msoft and N release their new consoles?

"...the best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written. In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and fished out listings of their operating system." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

"Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's house before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and take the stereo." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

Bill Gates had Mac prototypes to work from, and he was known to be obsessed with trying to make Windows as good as SAND (Steve's Amazing New Device), as a Microsoft exec named it. It was the Mac that Microsoft took for its blueprint on how to make a GUI.

""Windows [n.] - A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.""

Around the Network

If the $299 pricepoint boost turns out to be temporary or just small, basically.

BELIEVE that teh C3LL will make a comeback.

Its possible.

Many people are saying that the PS3 has already made a comeback and althought it is doing significantly better than it was a couple of years ago i don't think that's what the OP was talking about.

I would think that if the PS3 hasn't significantly closed the gap on the 360 by the end of the year or EARLY next year at the latest (as some of the exclusives have been pushed), in the order of 2 million units or at least started consistently outselling the 360 in the order of 50 000 units a week then i think it should be fairly hard for almost anyone to deny that it will never have any kind of meaningful comeback.

I don't consider crawling past the 360's sales after the release of any next generation system a comeback.

Sony won't really be out of the running unless they fail to get the PS3 cost down to a point this Fall where the can make a significant price cut. If they fail to accomplish that, then I think they'll get squeezed out of the running.

But I hope not... MS needs an HD-console competitor to keep them on their toes.

Around the Network

There will be a comeback, you'll see, you'll all see moihahaha

pterodactyl said:
Vetteman94 said:
Never, people want a PS3 even if they dont know it yet.

And stop saying that Sony is going to get out of the console business, there is no reasons for them to get out.

You see the latest earning reports?

So, and wasnt Sony predicting losses for the year?   And what about Microsofts latest earning reports?  Or how about that they are $10 billion in the hole from the Xbox brand alone.

Let's see. PS3 gave up ~ 5million console lead to 360 at launch. 360 lead now is nearing 10 million. If at the time 360 ends its life and the lifetime sales lead is less than 5 million units then PS3 has made a good comeback. If the 360 lead is a little above 5 million then PS3 has made a modest comeback. If the 360 lead is not much different than it is now then there is no comeback and if the 360 lead is more than it is now then that is a downfall for PS3.

WRT the Wii, something similar applies. Indeed if the PS3 can eat into the Wii's lead by any measurable amount, while still being a far more expensive unit, then that will be a pretty good comeback.

If PS3 achieves "good comeback" status vs both Wii and 360 by the end of the generation then momentum will be with Sony, and rehabilitation of the Playstation brand will be virtually achieved. Suggesting Sony needs to achieve PS2-like sales as the basis for a comeback, or that PS3 > 360 (much less >Wii) in lifetime sales is essentially guaranteeing that PS3 will not meet your definition of comeback.

In order for Sony to view this as a successful generation and to comit to the PS4 the PS3 does not need to sell more than the Wii or 360 in lifetime global sales, and it certainly doesn't need to sell at or even near PS2 lifetime sales.

If you think that based on 2009 financial performance that Sony will surely exit the console hardware market then you haven't analysed Sony's report very well. The losses incurred by Sony in FY '09 Q1 are due primarily to things other than PS3 console sales, indeed it would seem the gaming sub-division of the network division probably broke even in the least over that quarter, though thanks partly to the drop in PS3 sales.

Sony will be basing a PS4 decision on the lifetime performance of PS3, not the FY '09 Q1 performance of PS3.

At this point, with a servicable install base, it is in Sony's best interests for PS3 sales to remain low but steady until they can start making a small profit on each unit sold. What they then need is for an acceleration of sales once they turn that corner. If they can achieve profitability with a price cut then that acceleration will occur, and it will be an appreciable acceleration in the least. But it may not be stellar.

Sony must have done some market research on buyer intent to keep its projection at 13 million for FY '09. They must be confident that there is pressure building among 12 million consumers who would like a PS3 but not at the current price. They are probably aiming for the PS3 to sell at the price those 12 million consumers want (or close to it) for long enough in Fy '09 for sales to reach that target by March '10.

Sony will also be banking on a global economic growth and employment rate (or at least job security) turnaround before the holidays hit. And that's the unkown factor right now.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

if there is no price drop for holidays 09

I started making videos for youtube; check them out.

Contra (No Deaths): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_OdnbGgupM

Super C (No Deaths): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHoJrHWATgU

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! (Mike Tyson TKO): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4L7oDV79aw

Systems owned: Atari 2600, NES(3), Top loader NES, Yobo NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, Sega Gamegear, Sega Nomad, Sega Saturn, Nintendo 64, Gamecube, Playstation 2, Wii, PS3 (slim 120 GB), Wii U

You should congratulate me. I destroyed the vile red falcon and saved the universe. I consider myself a hero.

If you mean comeback like market leader then never... if you mean a comeback like it beeing en-par in sales or even beating the 360, well then If neither the pricecut/redesign and GT5/FFXIII combo wont help, then I doubt anything will. At this point on tough Im certain the PS3 will have a great run, Im afraid it has all the chances to remain third saleswise...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!