By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What will it take to admit there will be no Sony comeback this gen?

Infamy79 said:
It doesn't matter, there will be no comeback

Sony were in a clear #1 position with a massive majority marketshare plus regular profits in their gaming division. They've lost all the PS2 profits and well on their way to eating up the PS1 profits. If they do have another price cut this year they won't be making profit for a while longer.

The most realistic best case for Sony is they overtake the 360 in total global sales at some stage towards the end of the generation and start turning a profit in 2010. However it's irrelevant really as its all about perspective. Sony were dominant, they are now in a distant last place, this generation is over, they can only try to rebuild their reputation with their next product.

Quite true!

If you think about it, it´s quite 'amazing' how quickly arrogance and overestimating something can bring something/someone down.

I wonder if some of the execs at Sony look back and regret trading the success the PS brand had for Blu-Ray´s success....but then again, they were so confident people would flock to the system, even though it costed $599...and even if they had played all their cards right, maybe it still wouldn´t have been enough to stop the Wii phenomenon, but at least they´d be in a (maybe) not distant 2nd place and wouldn´t have eaten all the profits the PS2 gave them.

Around the Network

No, I think Microsoft will still outsell sony. I think this is it for sony, and unless nintendo does have the dual slot system next gen with improved graphics, people will be tired of the motion controls. And Microsoft is just getting the feel now, they will show what they can really do next gen!

Dannagar said:
I wouldn't rule Sony out for a future generation.

I would, and I think most reasonable analysts and gamers (no offense) have, as well.

Never, people want a PS3 even if they dont know it yet.

And stop saying that Sony is going to get out of the console business, there is no reasons for them to get out.

If the PS3 was outselling the 360 on a weekly basis with a $400 dollar price point last year until a pricecut for the 360, why wouldn't Sony be able to repeat that streak with a $300 price point?

Around the Network
pterodactyl said:
Dannagar said:
I wouldn't rule Sony out for a future generation.

I would, and I think most reasonable analysts and gamers (no offense) have, as well.

Reasonable gamers would see from past consoles that is wrong

But While sony will never be first, it can beat microsoft

Carl2291 said:
If 360 > PS3 when both consoles stop selling?

I dunno even then people may claim it was overtracked.

Vetteman94 said:
Never, people want a PS3 even if they dont know it yet.

And stop saying that Sony is going to get out of the console business, there is no reasons for them to get out.

You see the latest earning reports?

Considering the PS3 is being sold as both a videogames system AND a BR player these recent figures for Sony are very very bad. They have the PS3 competing in 2 massive markets and yet it is selling criminally low. As the next generation will be starting 2010/2011 (I predict both Microsoft AND Nintendo will have new systems out in these 2 years) Sony has put all their eggs in one basket for 10 years! Problem is the PS3 will be looking terribly out of date by next year or 2011 and will have to be vastly redesigned to keep up with technology AND storage medium coming within the next 2 years. Not a chance on this planet the PS3 is going to last another 10 years with the technology iinside it today. In 2 years the PS3 will be laughed at technology wise and in 10 years if it hasnt been laughed off the planet by then will be sold in novelty shops!!

"...the best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written. In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and fished out listings of their operating system." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

"Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's house before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and take the stereo." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

Bill Gates had Mac prototypes to work from, and he was known to be obsessed with trying to make Windows as good as SAND (Steve's Amazing New Device), as a Microsoft exec named it. It was the Mac that Microsoft took for its blueprint on how to make a GUI.

""Windows [n.] - A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.""

^the PS3 will be ten years old in 2016... The PS2 is over 9 years old already and I see it's selling fairly decently, plus I don't find anything laughable about its techonolgy, after all it plays the same OLD DVDs current gen console *cough*360, Wii*cough*, and its DVD movie playback is far more reliable than aforementioned consoles too. One last thing, you are smoking something fierce if you think Sony won't release a new system by the time MS and/or Nintendo take their next step.