By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What will it take to admit there will be no Sony comeback this gen?

Naraku_Diabolos said:

Redesigned the PSP my foot. They made it harder for stores to carry it as retailers CANNOT sell games for it. Sure the PSP-3000 is still in stock and can live beside the PSPGo in harmony, but the fact of the matter is that the PSPGo was a wasted idea. Just what new ideas were they bringing forth? Lack of physical media for current software you already own? Lower battery life? The concept sounds neat on paper, but seriously, how is it going to revolutionize the way we play our games??

This.

Around the Network
pterodactyl said:

Sony, as a video game console company, is probably done and that this is probably their last gen.

This

caz604 said:
Comeback in terms of overtaking 1st in sales? Highly unlikely...
or comeback in selling more than X360? somewhat unlikely...
or Sony comeback in terms of profitability? Somewhat likely...
or Sony putting lots of good software out while still being competitive? Highly likely...

^This!

Magnific0 said:
comeback to what? the PlayStation brand is strong as ever. Next gen even the now 360 faithful will hold their wallets and wait, as there won't be a 3 year warranty for the nextbox from day one. The 360 is done, it won't outsell its last year by 1 million selling for dirt cheap the whole 2009, as soon as the PS3 hits $300 they'll be outsold by more than 5 million units in a single year.

Really, you think the brand is as strong as at the height of the PS2?  I live in North America and remember when Playstation had taken over the word Nintendo as being synonymous with playing video games.  The fact that the President mentioned Xbox instead of Playstation when he was talking about video games says a lot about what has happened since then.

It's also pretty amazing how well you can see the future.  See that's something I've noticed with some Playstation fans, they seem to live in some wishful future while I live in the present.  In the present it's the Xbox 360 that is up YoY and the Playstation 3 that is selling less games last quarter than it did in the same quarter in 2008.  They also sold less games in the same quarter in 2008 than they did in 2007.

As for the $300 price tag being the great hope for the Playstation 3 (I guess people have given up on a game starting Playstation 3 domination over Xbox 360) well I can make predictions as well.  I predict that Project Natal will more than make up for a $300 Playstation 3 and in fact I predict that the Xbox 360 will outsell the Playstation 3 and not look back after Christmas 2010 regardless of the price of that system.

It doesn't matter, there will be no comeback

Sony were in a clear #1 position with a massive majority marketshare plus regular profits in their gaming division. They've lost all the PS2 profits and well on their way to eating up the PS1 profits. If they do have another price cut this year they won't be making profit for a while longer.

The most realistic best case for Sony is they overtake the 360 in total global sales at some stage towards the end of the generation and start turning a profit in 2010. However it's irrelevant really as its all about perspective. Sony were dominant, they are now in a distant last place, this generation is over, they can only try to rebuild their reputation with their next product.

Never argue with idiots
They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
How come the line where the PS3's turn around 'has to happen by' is always shifting backwards? I remember times given in 2007, 2008, 2009 and many of these different dates were given by the same people!

It's ridiculous to suggest any set date by which the PS3 turnaround will occur because no one knows how MS and Sony are going to respond to the market over the next few years. The only time when anyone can truly say the PS3 has turned around is at the end of this generation when MS and Sony stop supporting both the current machines. Is anyone really surprised that the 360 is pulling ahead in sales? It was released first and so has hit the mass market price before the PS3. The PS3 sold more in it's early launch period compared to the 360 so who's to say it won't also sell more when it reaches the mass market price (there's no guarantee it will of course)?

Obviously the question is can Sony afford to lower the price (I would argue they can't afford not to) and if they do, will it increase sales as much as or better than the price cut did for the 360? Not to mention the impact of any reaction by MS will have on sales or how each company will alter the price in the years after. So just wait and see!

What will it take to admit there will be no sony comeback? Nothing. Because they've already made a comeback or they are going to. How? Games, and their exclusive lineup is looking pretty good so far - uncharted 2, mag, heavy rain, god of war 3, gran turismo 5, gran turismo psp, little big planet psp, modnation racers,  and many more.

Repeat after me. GAMES. NOT sales. Wasn't that the reason why the two previous playstation consoles were successful in the first place?

"But but but they sold more than the playstation 3!" - yeah, what about it? Not everyone will be able to buy a £300 console.

WoW......look at all the comments and you can sense fear from fanboys on both sides.

both ps3 and 360 fans are hopping that it goes the way they speculate.

I don't think Playstation 3 will ever be market leader this generation but, I wouldn't rule Sony out for a future generation.

Dannagar said:
I wouldn't rule Sony out for a future generation.

Yeah, there is like 0.1% chance Nintendo will buy them for the next gen :D