By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
FJ-Warez said:
krik said:
I can only conclude that with all the unproven franchise and delay comments from Xbots that you guys are jealous :)

Anyway I rather look forward to Haze, Ratched, Uncharted, MGS4, KZ2, Infamous, LBP and all the others than look back at Gears of War, Bioshock and Halo. Also, even if they are all unproven IP they look good and can't all possibly suck.

Also I never liked Halo... always liked Unreal better and both 360 and PS3 will get it next year. Unreal kicks ass compared to over hyped Halo. Also, reviews of Halo where it gets 10 in graphics and then Lair gets 5 can't be freaking serious. Halo graphics better than Lair? ROFL. Lair sucks as a game but the graphics and sound are some of the best I ever seen/heard. Also, Lair runs at 1080p/30FPS while Halo runs at 640p at the same 30FPS. If Bungie/Microsoft can't make a FPS that runs at 60FPS with a 200+ development team and almost unlimited money resources, then who can? Xbox is already being pushed to the max and 640p/30FPS is not impressive by any means.

BTW Halo3 runs at 640, yes, but they render the frame twice with different light settings (Just for the HDR) and then they combine them in one single frame...

Correct. I explained that on my reply. 2 frame buffers of 1152x640 combined into a single image of 1152x640.  Theoretically we could say 1152x1280 but still way less than 1920x1080.

PSN ID: krik

Optimistic predictions for 2008 (Feb 5 2008): Wii = 20M, PS3 = 14M, X360 = 9.5M

Around the Network
krik said:
Lost tears of Kain said:
krik said:
I can only conclude that with all the unproven franchise and delay comments from Xbots that you guys are jealous :)

Anyway I rather look forward to Haze, Ratched, Uncharted, MGS4, KZ2, Infamous, LBP and all the others than look back at Gears of War, Bioshock and Halo. Also, even if they are all unproven IP they look good and can't all possibly suck.

Also I never liked Halo... always liked Unreal better and both 360 and PS3 will get it next year. Unreal kicks ass compared to over hyped Halo. Also, reviews of Halo where it gets 10 in graphics and then Lair gets 5 can't be freaking serious. Halo graphics better than Lair? ROFL. Lair sucks as a game but the graphics and sound are some of the best I ever seen/heard. Also, Lair runs at 1080p/30FPS while Halo runs at 640p at the same 30FPS. If Bungie/Microsoft can't make a FPS that runs at 60FPS with a 200+ development team and almost unlimited money resources, then who can? Xbox is already being pushed to the max and 640p/30FPS is not impressive by any means.

sony fanboy alert ALERT ALERT

ALERT!

Your opinion, i guess the 4 million people who bought halo 3 on its opening week are all wrong? Take your fanboyism somewhere else. Show me where Halo gets a 10 in grahics and lair didnt get a good graphics score, show me. 1080p at 30 fps ? you you #%#$ing serious?

You have no idea why Bungie didnt make it 1080p do you, you have no flipping idea. Show me data that says xbox is being pushed, wait you cant, so shut up and go away.

Right, I AM a sony fanboy... proud to be one since PS1.

4 million people are not wrong. If you have a 360 you should buy Halo 3, it's a good game, not excelent or a technical achievement but a good game. I hate the freaking split scree, who the heck thought splitting awide screen format game in the middle horizontally was a good idea? wtf? Also I hate the drama soundtrack but otherwise it's fun.

From ign.com

Halo 3 got 10 presentation, 9 for graphics and 10 for sound. LOL, 10 for totally average sound effects and some drama music

Lair got 8 for presentation, 7.5 for graphics and an amazing 8 for sound. This is not fair.

Lair sucks, I don't like it, but if you going to rate it by categories then you better judge those categories independently of how much you like the game.

I already posted earlier that I have friends that work on Lair and I can tell you the game runs at 30FPS most of the time. Getting to the 30FPS was the main reason behind the delays.

Also, you totally wrong about me not having any idea why bungie didn't do the 1080p. I know. I am a software developer and I read about technology all the time so let me explain:

Halo 3 runs at 1152x640 because they used 2 frame buffers. This was done to get better lighting. They used one frame buffer for the high dynamic range values and the other for the low dynamic range values. Both buffers are then combined to make the finished screen image.

I never said xbox is being pushed. What I said was: If Bungie/MS can't push it to the limit with 200+ dev team then who can? 

PS: Lair runs at 1920x1080. This is almost 4 times Halo's image frame buffer. 4 times the amount of pixels to process with at least as good lighting as Halo 3 (my opinion at least).

Now my last comment. Don't tell me to shut up, that is rude. Everyone in here is somewhat of a fanboy. Otherwise why would we be reading this forums?

Lair got what it did because, like you said it sucks, in sound i heard its really good, but 10 is up to the reviewers not me, graphics.... the only reason i can see them giving graphics a 7.5 is the constant frames dip and lag, i heard it happens quite a bit, which could really hurt the looking good part. Lair also runs at 1080, yes but has constant dips, and ill tell you right now, the lighting in halo couldnt be any better, and even if it is in a lower resolution, in my eyes, halo is just as eye popping, and yet runs smooth. We have seen when developers try to push graphics to much, and just concentrate on that. Anyone for good old, fantastic, but short HS? Who said they were trying to push the system, game looks awsome, and is one of the best ive played. Shut up may have been a little harsh, but coming in here saying halo is overhyped, saying how 360 only has games to look back to? Your hugley mistaken. O btw, i guess ps3 cannot do 1080 at 30 fps/60 according to Factor 5, since they said they pushed it to their limit. Thats not true COD 4 is doing it and smoothly. Its the same with halo, though i dont think they even tried to push it, we saw what it did to Lair

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.

IGN is a fanboy site.

i hate this, every GOOD PS3 GAME gets a terrible score. GO!sports ski! Got a 2.1, and its the best psn title. They should all die!!!!! j/k stop acting like morons at the least(ign).

mM
Lost tears of Kain said:
krik said:
Lost tears of Kain said:
krik said:

sony fanboy alert ALERT ALERT

ALERT!

Your opinion, i guess the 4 million people who bought halo 3 on its opening week are all wrong? Take your fanboyism somewhere else. Show me where Halo gets a 10 in grahics and lair didnt get a good graphics score, show me. 1080p at 30 fps ? you you #%#$ing serious?

You have no idea why Bungie didnt make it 1080p do you, you have no flipping idea. Show me data that says xbox is being pushed, wait you cant, so shut up and go away.

Right, I AM a sony fanboy... proud to be one since PS1.

4 million people are not wrong. If you have a 360 you should buy Halo 3, it's a good game, not excelent or a technical achievement but a good game. I hate the freaking split scree, who the heck thought splitting awide screen format game in the middle horizontally was a good idea? wtf? Also I hate the drama soundtrack but otherwise it's fun.

From ign.com

Halo 3 got 10 presentation, 9 for graphics and 10 for sound. LOL, 10 for totally average sound effects and some drama music

Lair got 8 for presentation, 7.5 for graphics and an amazing 8 for sound. This is not fair.

Lair sucks, I don't like it, but if you going to rate it by categories then you better judge those categories independently of how much you like the game.

I already posted earlier that I have friends that work on Lair and I can tell you the game runs at 30FPS most of the time. Getting to the 30FPS was the main reason behind the delays.

Also, you totally wrong about me not having any idea why bungie didn't do the 1080p. I know. I am a software developer and I read about technology all the time so let me explain:

Halo 3 runs at 1152x640 because they used 2 frame buffers. This was done to get better lighting. They used one frame buffer for the high dynamic range values and the other for the low dynamic range values. Both buffers are then combined to make the finished screen image.

I never said xbox is being pushed. What I said was: If Bungie/MS can't push it to the limit with 200+ dev team then who can? 

PS: Lair runs at 1920x1080. This is almost 4 times Halo's image frame buffer. 4 times the amount of pixels to process with at least as good lighting as Halo 3 (my opinion at least).

Now my last comment. Don't tell me to shut up, that is rude. Everyone in here is somewhat of a fanboy. Otherwise why would we be reading this forums?

Lair got what it did because, like you said it sucks, in sound i heard its really good, but 10 is up to the reviewers not me, graphics.... the only reason i can see them giving graphics a 7.5 is the constant frames dip and lag, i heard it happens quite a bit, which could really hurt the looking good part. Lair also runs at 1080, yes but has constant dips, and ill tell you right now, the lighting in halo couldnt be any better, and even if it is in a lower resolution, in my eyes, halo is just as eye popping, and yet runs smooth. We have seen when developers try to push graphics to much, and just concentrate on that. Anyone for good old, fantastic, but short HS? Who said they were trying to push the system, game looks awsome, and is one of the best ive played. Shut up may have been a little harsh, but coming in here saying halo is overhyped, saying how 360 only has games to look back to? Your hugley mistaken. O btw, i guess ps3 cannot do 1080 at 30 fps/60 according to Factor 5, since they said they pushed it to their limit. Thats not true COD 4 is doing it and smoothly. Its the same with halo, though i dont think they even tried to push it, we saw what it did to Lair
Lair and COD4 are two differnet games. COD4 does not have that much running on screen compared to Lair, but I won't use that as an excuse.

I'll take the case!!!

Lair did not push the PS3 to the limit. Factor 5 said they were pushing everything they could out of their (1st generation) engine. It's totally different.

Also, I think Halo lighting is not impressive. You can't even see your shadow in most places. Just go play and see if you can notice it. It's pretty good but not impressive.

And regarding COD4 running at 1080p / 60FPS, I will wait and see. Right now I do not believe it at all.

On the other hand both GTHD (that Sony offer us last Christmas), GT Prologue and GT5 are running at 60FPS with 1080p. Also MGS4 is running at 1080p / 60FPS and Warhawk runs at a solid 60FPS / 720p with 32 online players. (btw: Warhawk is a pretty nice game, great multi-player fun)

Now a real case of PS3 evolution: Insomniac's engine did run at 30FPS/720p when Resistance come out. Now Insomniac optimized parts of it (mainly physics/animation) to run on Cell's SPEs and Ratchet is coming out running at 720p / 60 FPS with a lot, mean a lot, of crap moving at the same time. Ratchet's maps are amazing. You look up and there are vehicles moving everywhere, smoke coming out of very distance building, whole buildings collapse while you playing (no cut scene, this is during gameplay), pretty impressive.

Around the Network

halo lighting not impressive...................

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Lost tears of Kain said:

Did you try to look for your shadow? Try it in multiple places and you will see what I mean. Most light sources do not cast shadows at all. Anyway, it's just my opinion, for me Halo 3's lighting is good but not impressive at all.

TIP: Outside (Sun) light casts shadows fine, it's the interior light sources that sometimes "forget" to cast shadows.

leo-j said:
IGN is a fanboy site.

i hate this, every GOOD PS3 GAME gets a terrible score. GO!sports ski! Got a 2.1, and its the best psn title. They should all die!!!!! j/k stop acting like morons at the least(ign).

Your basing your entire conclusion that IGN is a fanboy site on one minor title?

Get over yourself. 

krik said:
Lost tears of Kain said:

Did you try to look for your shadow? Try it in multiple places and you will see what I mean. Most light sources do not cast shadows at all. Anyway, it's just my opinion, for me Halo 3's lighting is good but not impressive at all.

TIP: Outside (Sun) light casts shadows fine, it's the interior light sources that sometimes "forget" to cast shadows.

Go into the theatre halo thread and look at some of the pictures, they are gorgous, you cant tell me its not impressive

Oh my god, I haven't laughed this hard at a single thread in MONTHS. Congrats, this is comedy GOLD.

PS3: 5.51m/51w, avg 108,039/w (up 239)
360: 12.93m/102w, avg 126,764/w (up 625), leads PS3 by 7.42m (up 70k), avg lead 18,725/w (up 386)
Wii: 13.52m/51w, avg 265,098/w (dn 1,102), leads PS3 by 8.01m (up 90k), avg lead 157,059/w (dn 1,341)

If 360 sales stabilize, PS3 sales increases needed to pass 360 by...
01/08: (008w) +875.8%, 04/08: (021w) +344.4%, 07/08: (034w) +219.3%, 10/08: (047w) +163.5%
01/09: (060w) +131.8%, 04/09: (073w) +111.4%, 07/09: (085w) +098.1%, 10/09: (099w) +086.7%
If Wii sales stabilize, PS3 sales increases needed to pass Wii by...
01/08: (008w) +1072.%, 04/08: (021w) +498.4%, 07/08: (034w) +363.4%, 10/08: (047w) +303.1%
01/09: (060w) +269.0%, 04/09: (073w) +246.9%, 07/09: (085w) +232.6%, 10/09: (099w) +220.3%
If PS2 sales freeze, Wii sales increases needed to pass PS2 (as of Mar07, 108.4m) by...
2008: (008w) +4373.8%, 2009: (060w) +0496.5%, 2010: (112w) +0219.6%, 2011: (165w) +0116.9%
2012: (217w) +0064.9%, 2013: (269w) +0033.1%, 2014: (321w) +0011.5%, 2015: (376w) -0004.8%
At +0% it will pass it in 358w, the week ending September 19th, 2014, at an age of 409w (7y44w).
Current age of PS2: 7y37w.

Last update: Week ending November 3, 2007