By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why do so few care about Little King's Story?

Like so many other Wii games, distribution for this game stinks. I've checked two stores since launch and haven't seen a copy yet. Hopefully this at least means that they're selling what they ship, instead of the alternative.

I'm sure I'll find a copy eventually.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network
KungKras said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:

KungKras said:
Because I have Starcraft. I will never need a new RTS again. (maybe Starcraft 2)

What does this have to do with anything?  Also, there's better RTS games than Starcraft.  As is a core argument being made in this thread, popularity doesn't make a game the best, or the reason you should play it.

How can you say there is a better RTS than Starcraft when there isn't even a game from any genre that's better than Starcraft?

Name an RTS game you think is better, and I will gladly give you about a thousand reasons as to why Starcraft is superior.

I wholeheartedly agree with this post!

As for LKS: It's on the top of my list of games to buy if I ever get through all the games I already own.

Signature goes here!

i will pick it up eventually but dont have cash for it now.

KungKras said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:

KungKras said:
Because I have Starcraft. I will never need a new RTS again. (maybe Starcraft 2)

What does this have to do with anything?  Also, there's better RTS games than Starcraft.  As is a core argument being made in this thread, popularity doesn't make a game the best, or the reason you should play it.

How can you say there is a better RTS than Starcraft when there isn't even a game from any genre that's better than Starcraft?

Name an RTS game you think is better, and I will gladly give you about a thousand reasons as to why Starcraft is superior.

Wow, this is the epitome of 'fanboy'.  Trying to state that a game is the best in its genre simply because you think its your personal favorite game 'of all time no question!'

Also, Age of Empires II, Age of Empires III, Company of Heroes.  All because they had more options and expanded on the RTS genre in terms of gameplay WAY more than Starcraft did.  Starcraft had balance, thanks to its 3 class system and rock/paper/scissors style counter gameplay.  But it wasn't without its own issues, such as Terran being clearly overpowered and certain units being favored over others (siege tanks anyone?).

Also, Starcraft is just a 10+ year old game.  Its only natural tht another RTS would have come out to surpass it by now.  Yes, Starcraft is still the most 'popular', but that doesn't make it the best game in its genre.  Its sequel will probably bring more to the table, but frankly its still going to be sticking to the 3 class system and rock/paper/scissors gameplay, which in itself means its going to be vastly limited compared to many other RTS games out there.  In essence, all its going to be doing is either adding more units, or adding new ways to interact with the existing units (the environment/story).  All which we've seen in the previews for the upcoming game.  And this is nothing really groundbreaking for the RTS genre.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Lack of IR pointer is an issue. The controls could have been better, and lacking the controls the game seems a bit redundant.

I bought it, and it wasn't what I thought it would be (I'm not referring to the controls which I understood when I bought the game). The slow start of the game killed the excitement somewhat, and as I got deeper in I realized it wasn't so much a strategy game as an rpg.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Around the Network
CatFangs806 said:
I don't particularly like games on the DS and don't play it. The name sounds childish.

I'm not sure if you're just that misinformed, or if you're just trolling the game. Either way, don't quit your day job.

Kenryoku_Maxis said:

All of those definitely sound right.  But in the end, marketing does help sell the game somewhat.  There's other groups that will buy the game, such as core gamers who are interested in the game or Wii products (such as us) or people who just think the game looks 'cute' or people who like RTS/fantasy games, etc.  And for the most part, the best way to get them to know the game is out there is marketing.  People like us who surf forums or websites for gaming news are still a vast minority compared to the people who browse stores looking for 'something interesting' or buy games based on 'word of mouth' or commercials.  And all of that is led by marketing.

You're definitely right. My fear though is that an ad campaign will cost more than it brings in (which I think is likely), hence making the game even more of a bomb and thus guaranteeing that a sequel never happens, and increasing the odds that Marvelous leaves the consoles behind for a long while.

KungKras said:

Both are platformers. But ok, I get the point. Games from the same genre can play differently.

I rephrase my statement to "I like Starcraft-type RTS games, not Little King Story-type RTS games."

That's more fair, and hard to quibble with (being a subjective taste and all). All I can say to that is "rent it first": I have absolute confidence that once you try the game you'll be converted.

Let me put it this way. It's been out in Europe for months, and in North America for a week. Of the many people I've talked to about the game (who represent very divergent tastes), one and only one person has not really liked the game. (Edit: okay, make that two. Nice timing, Demotruck...) I'm having trouble thinking of any other game that's had that high of a good-response rate.

Long story short: do yourself a huge favor and try the game. You'll be hooked.

famousringo said:
Like so many other Wii games, distribution for this game stinks. I've checked two stores since launch and haven't seen a copy yet. Hopefully this at least means that they're selling what they ship, instead of the alternative.

I'm sure I'll find a copy eventually.

Marvelous actually posted about this: retailers order based on pre-orders, so since the game wasn't pre-ordered much few copies were shipped, hence the hard-to-find status. In fact, most big box places don't carry it at all (Fry's is the only exception I know of, and I don't think they're in your area). Realistically, online's your best bet.

The game bombed. Retailers barely ordered any copies.

noname2200 said:

You're definitely right. My fear though is that an ad campaign will cost more than it brings in (which I think is likely), hence making the game even more of a bomb and thus guaranteeing that a sequel never happens, and increasing the odds that Marvelous leaves the consoles behind for a long while.

Definitely.  And that's why I think they're opting not to do a commercial based ad campaign and hoping more for internet word of mouth popularity.  Which is essentially free.  But its also risky, as the internet and word of mouth fans are also the most finicky and critical of all the fans out there, as well as opt to picking the 'popular' games over the 'niche' games.  For every game like 'Disgaea' that gets popular through this method, there's 100 that bombs because one game like GTA4 comes out near it.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Kenryoku_Maxis said:
KungKras said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:

KungKras said:

Wow, this is the epitome of 'fanboy'.  Trying to state that a game is the best in its genre simply because you think its your personal favorite game 'of all time no question!'

Also, Age of Empires II, Age of Empires III, Company of Heroes.  All because they had more options and expanded on the RTS genre in terms of gameplay WAY more than Starcraft did.  Starcraft had balance, thanks to its 3 class system and rock/paper/scissors style counter gameplay.  But it wasn't without its own issues, such as Terran being clearly overpowered and certain units being favored over others (siege tanks anyone?).

Also, Starcraft is just a 10+ year old game.  Its only natural tht another RTS would have come out to surpass it by now.  Yes, Starcraft is still the most 'popular', but that doesn't make it the best game in its genre.  Its sequel will probably bring more to the table, but frankly its still going to be sticking to the 3 class system and rock/paper/scissors gameplay, which in itself means its going to be vastly limited compared to many other RTS games out there.  In essence, all its going to be doing is either adding more units, or adding new ways to interact with the existing units (the environment/story).  All which we've seen in the previews for the upcoming game.  And this is nothing really groundbreaking for the RTS genre.

Starcraft is not the best in it's genre because I like it more. It's the best because it is the best.

Also, you comment about units favoured in Starcraft and that it's gameplay is Rock Paper Scissors I as a die hard RTS player find very ignorant. In starcraft there are no units that completely obliterates other units. Armor and pathing play a role to give units certain advantages over others, but no unit will completely mow down other units (except air vs melee). As for units being favoured I can think of none, Siege tanks are used almost always as the main attack unit in TvP and TvT, but have you ever seen a TvZ? There the stimmed marine is the main attack unit, and almost all other units serves their purposes. Also if we talk about units being favoured, how about the Paladin in AoE2? Also, Terran being overpowered? Are you seriously saying a race in Starcraft is overpowered? Every race have at some point dominated korean gaming tournaments, and that's because of the players not what race they played.

With that out of the way. The things starcraft absolutely pwns any "Age of" game is pacing and mechanics. In starcraft every unit plays in a completely different way, and thus must be microed in a completely different way. In Aoe there are melee units and ranged units. They play very similar all of them when compared to the diversity found in Starcraft. The difference in mutalisk micro and tank micro is much more significant than say paladin micro and archer micro. Also, the difference in mutalisk mechanics and lurker mechanics is greater than any unit differences in all the games you mentioned.

I fail to see how a game like age of empires can have more options than Starcraft since all the races in AoE basicaly play the same exept for some tweaks here and there. There are games that may be broader, but no game is deeper than Starcraft. Another thing about the AoE games is that the automatic formations mess up Micromangement. AoE is a series that strive to achieve immersion with it's be-the-god-and-rule-a-civilization setting, and sure, Starcraft isn't as immersive (unless you are playing a long game on Iccup and gather all of your concentration to win) but in terms of actual Gameplay, Starcraft wins.

I can't speak for company of heroes, but it sure does not have the same E-sport status that Starcraft has, so it's gameplay can't be superior. If the gameplay was exciting and diverse and skill-based on a Starcraft level, Korea would have adopted it.

I'm shocked that you didn't include WC3 in your list of games that you think is better, because that is the only game that has come close to Starcraft. But WC3 still falls flat in comparison because of it's hard-to-kill units and dumbed down macromangament.

"Also, Starcraft is just a 10+ year old game.  Its only natural tht another RTS would have come out to surpass it by now." I know, it's pretty sad that no game maker has been succesful in making a better game yet.

If this is going to be a long discussion, then maybe we should make our own thread?

I LOVE ICELAND!

Voltaire said:

One thing ive noticed is that for a game scoreing an 87/100 on Metacritic, theres very little interest shownon it by the genereal gameing community. There was little to no hype for it, it bombed horribly in "Others". Sales aside, what im most shocked about is that gamers admit its probably a great game, then procced to say they wont buy it.

Why?

Because the name and art style bring out the ZOMGKIDDY trolls, mostly. They're just afraid that playing it will somehow make them less Manly(tm).

It's a shame that this is not a proper Wii game -kinesophobia isn't really something the dev team is known for, either, so it's unclear as to why- but it does look like a very good game nonetheless. I've got it, but it's on my backlog.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

thats false...the game looks unappealing to many, who will then not play the game because they dont want to play a game that they dont think looks nice.

YOU are a troll for making those comments and insults.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur