By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why do so few care about Little King's Story?

Too much colour, not enough shades of brown, grey and dark green.

Around the Network
KungKras said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:
KungKras said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:

KungKras said:
Because I have Starcraft. I will never need a new RTS again. (maybe Starcraft 2)

What does this have to do with anything?  Also, there's better RTS games than Starcraft.  As is a core argument being made in this thread, popularity doesn't make a game the best, or the reason you should play it.

How can you say there is a better RTS than Starcraft when there isn't even a game from any genre that's better than Starcraft?

Name an RTS game you think is better, and I will gladly give you about a thousand reasons as to why Starcraft is superior.

Wow, this is the epitome of 'fanboy'.  Trying to state that a game is the best in its genre simply because you think its your personal favorite game 'of all time no question!'

Also, Age of Empires II, Age of Empires III, Company of Heroes.  All because they had more options and expanded on the RTS genre in terms of gameplay WAY more than Starcraft did.  Starcraft had balance, thanks to its 3 class system and rock/paper/scissors style counter gameplay.  But it wasn't without its own issues, such as Terran being clearly overpowered and certain units being favored over others (siege tanks anyone?).

Also, Starcraft is just a 10+ year old game.  Its only natural tht another RTS would have come out to surpass it by now.  Yes, Starcraft is still the most 'popular', but that doesn't make it the best game in its genre.  Its sequel will probably bring more to the table, but frankly its still going to be sticking to the 3 class system and rock/paper/scissors gameplay, which in itself means its going to be vastly limited compared to many other RTS games out there.  In essence, all its going to be doing is either adding more units, or adding new ways to interact with the existing units (the environment/story).  All which we've seen in the previews for the upcoming game.  And this is nothing really groundbreaking for the RTS genre.

Starcraft is not the best in it's genre because I like it more. It's the best because it is the best.

Also, you comment about units favoured in Starcraft and that it's gameplay is Rock Paper Scissors I as a die hard RTS player find very ignorant. In starcraft there are no units that completely obliterates other units. Armor and pathing play a role to give units certain advantages over others, but no unit will completely mow down other units (except air vs melee). As for units being favoured I can think of none, Siege tanks are used almost always as the main attack unit in TvP and TvT, but have you ever seen a TvZ? There the stimmed marine is the main attack unit, and almost all other units serves their purposes. Also if we talk about units being favoured, how about the Paladin in AoE2? Also, Terran being overpowered? Are you seriously saying a race in Starcraft is overpowered? Every race have at some point dominated korean gaming tournaments, and that's because of the players not what race they played.

With that out of the way. The things starcraft absolutely pwns any "Age of" game is pacing and mechanics. In starcraft every unit plays in a completely different way, and thus must be microed in a completely different way. In Aoe there are melee units and ranged units. They play very similar all of them when compared to the diversity found in Starcraft. The difference in mutalisk micro and tank micro is much more significant than say paladin micro and archer micro. Also, the difference in mutalisk mechanics and lurker mechanics is greater than any unit differences in all the games you mentioned.

I fail to see how a game like age of empires can have more options than Starcraft since all the races in AoE basicaly play the same exept for some tweaks here and there. There are games that may be broader, but no game is deeper than Starcraft. Another thing about the AoE games is that the automatic formations mess up Micromangement. AoE is a series that strive to achieve immersion with it's be-the-god-and-rule-a-civilization setting, and sure, Starcraft isn't as immersive (unless you are playing a long game on Iccup and gather all of your concentration to win) but in terms of actual Gameplay, Starcraft wins.

I can't speak for company of heroes, but it sure does not have the same E-sport status that Starcraft has, so it's gameplay can't be superior. If the gameplay was exciting and diverse and skill-based on a Starcraft level, Korea would have adopted it.

I'm shocked that you didn't include WC3 in your list of games that you think is better, because that is the only game that has come close to Starcraft. But WC3 still falls flat in comparison because of it's hard-to-kill units and dumbed down macromangament.

"Also, Starcraft is just a 10+ year old game.  Its only natural tht another RTS would have come out to surpass it by now." I know, it's pretty sad that no game maker has been succesful in making a better game yet.

If this is going to be a long discussion, then maybe we should make our own thread?

No, I think you've pretty much stated your opinion and we've come to the end.  You think Starcraft is 'the best' because its the most popular and use that as your measuring stick.  I was just trying to show you that opinion =/= fact and your view of the game was being skewed by the hype.  Your statement alone of how Company of Heroes can't be good simply because 'korea hasn't adopted it' proves this.  Well then, I guess then Metroid must suck because each game doesn't sell 2 million units in Japan.  Or Dragon Quest is horrible because it isn't a national sensation in America.

In short, your logic is flawed.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

^What happened to my depth/gameplay diversity/mechanics/micromangament/macromangament/competitiveness arguments?

I LOVE ICELAND!

this is how you can tell no one cares about little kings story. ya'll don't even bother to talk about it in this topic >:(.

come try out the computer game i've been working on for my high school senior project, titled sling ball. http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=76669&page=1

you can view a few screenshots from the game in my photo album here; http://www.vgchartz.com/photos/album.php?album=2312

yes, this is vonboy's alt account. i can't log into my original account, and i'm not sure if i will ever be able to.

Proud Member of the Official Yoshi Fan Club!.

vonboysp said:
this is how you can tell no one cares about little kings story. ya'll don't even bother to talk about it in this topic >:(.

I'm sorry xD

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network

I don't get why the Conduit was put on a pedestal while this gem was ignored. =/

makingmusic476 said:
I don't get why the Conduit was put on a pedestal while this gem was ignored. =/

The game hasn't been ignored.  By all accounts, reviewers and 'gamers' are actually looking into it, moreso than most other Wii games.  However, its just not getting high praise or massive hype.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

TC is teh HARDCORZ. It has a popular appeal. LKS has a mistaken identity.

makingmusic476 said:

because given the opportunity...wii owners will act just as much the graphics whores as ps3/360 owners.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

makingmusic476 said:

I agree. This actually looks good!

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.