By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is more realistic, real world controls, or real world graphics?

If you get to the point of realism (in 2020) realistic controls would be more realistic.

Which would be more realistic. Looking like someone is driving a car, or actually simulating driving a car?

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

Around the Network

Well compare a racing game in the arcade with recent racing games on high def consoles.

Personally I have about 10 times more fun with the wheel and pedals then I do using the controls, even with the much older racing games. It's also a lot more realistic to me, because you actually have to do the things... you do.

Played this one soccer kicking game in the arcade the other day too because they took a lot out of it. (Sadly it closed down.) Was also a heck of a lot more fun, realistic and immersive despite the graphics being PS2 era.

Wouldn't of really mattered to me though, if it wasn't. Imersion means a lot more to me then realism and games like Ms. Pacman can be more imersive then some games with better graphics or motion sensing... or in some cases both. (I'm looking at you farcry vengence.)

I would like to disagree with "Incredible NPC AI".

Playing Manhunt 2 with with controls is going to feel like your actually killing them. (Y)

Though graphics make the game seem real and everything it still doesn't beat that ^ :P.

Around the Network

if you want realism just live your life...games = fun...thats the way i c it ;)

Both.

Metroid Prime 3 baby. Beauty and control.

Kwaad said:
rockstarjerry981 said:
My Take:

I love awesome graphics, but I also love motion controls. One of my favorite games out now is Gears of War. The game is so real, and it is a blast to play. This game is a system seller, because I would buy an Xbox 360 just for this game. Screw Halo 3.

On the other hand, another one of my favorite games out now is The Godfather: Blackhand Edition. The game greatly benefits from motion controls. Everything is so much more satisfying when you feel as if you are actually doing it instead of just pressing a button. I tried to play it on the Xbox 360, but it just wasn't the same. Sure, It looked better, but It didn't feel the same to strangle someone without actually strangling someone. Sure, the strangling motions aren't exactly realistic, but it definately makes the experience better tenfold.

The Question:

I always see someone say: "The Wii is just a PS2 with motion controlls," or "The PS3 is just a PS2 with prettier graphics." What to you is more realistic, motion controls or awesome graphics?

What is more realistic? I dont feel the motion controls on the the Wii are 'realistic'. It seems childish, and playlike. (Kinda like motion controls on the PS3) It's fun, entertaining. Realistic? Not really. I blame the accelerometer for the most part. Example. Wii Bowling. what if I want to be a dork, and throw the ball over my shoulder? Or do like a dork, and swing it between my legs. That is 'realism'. Not. 'I swing my arm through the motions, and what little the game does, is realistic, everything else is not.'. Is not very realistic. It takes a single motion, and turns it into 'realistic' When it can capture all 'motions' it will be realstic. The motion controls on the Wii, and PS3, are nothing more than, amusing control inputs to me.

Graphics. I feel graphics are the corner stone of realism on a game. However, it dosent make the game feel more 'real'.

If you want realism, get Duck hunt. The graphics are shit, but you hold a gun, point it, and shoot at birds.

In real life, you would hold a gun, point it, and shoot at birds.

Realism list.

SNES > NES > PS3/Wii > everything else.

The Wii has advantage controls, the PS3 has advantange graphics. NES and SNES wins becuase of the 'guns'.

For universal games, A complex game is more at home on the PS3, due to added buttons, makes performing more actions easier. A simpler game, The Wii is more at home, being easier to do the actions, with a little more 'personal' involvement. Overall, they are both 'sub par' when it comes to 'realism' 

Ummm the thread title said Real world controls, it's not Wii vs. PS3, take for example if real world controls were implemented.

And as for the duck hunt remark, well Wii's controller can do that... kinda contradicted yourself there didn't you?

Kasz216 said:
Well compare a racing game in the arcade with recent racing games on high def consoles.

Personally I have about 10 times more fun with the wheel and pedals then I do using the controls, even with the much older racing games. It's also a lot more realistic to me, because you actually have to do the things... you do.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/gaming/xbox_360/devices/299&cl=us,en

Legend11 said:
Kasz216 said:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/gaming/xbox_360/devices/299&cl=us,en

Yes, also see my comments last page regarding Gran Turismo and the Driving Force Pro.  Also see games like Guitar Hero.  You can actually play GH without a guitar controller, by pressing the right buttons on the Dual Shock.  But is it nearly as fun?  Hell no.  That's what we're talking about in this thread, controls.  You could render Kurt Cobain in full photorealistic glory, but if you were pressing buttons on a Dual Shock instead of strumming a guitar, even a plastic one with only 5 frets, it wouldn't feel nearly as realstic.