By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is more realistic, real world controls, or real world graphics?

My Take:

I love awesome graphics, but I also love motion controls. One of my favorite games out now is Gears of War. The game is so real, and it is a blast to play. This game is a system seller, because I would buy an Xbox 360 just for this game. Screw Halo 3.

On the other hand, another one of my favorite games out now is The Godfather: Blackhand Edition. The game greatly benefits from motion controls. Everything is so much more satisfying when you feel as if you are actually doing it instead of just pressing a button. I tried to play it on the Xbox 360, but it just wasn't the same. Sure, It looked better, but It didn't feel the same to strangle someone without actually strangling someone. Sure, the strangling motions aren't exactly realistic, but it definately makes the experience better tenfold.

The Question:

I always see someone say: "The Wii is just a PS2 with motion controlls," or "The PS3 is just a PS2 with prettier graphics." What to you is more realistic, motion controls or awesome graphics?

Around the Network

An extremely advanced version of WiiFit is more realistic than graphics 10x better than Killzone 2.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

rockstarjerry981 said:
My Take:

I love awesome graphics, but I also love motion controls. One of my favorite games out now is Gears of War. The game is so real, and it is a blast to play. This game is a system seller, because I would buy an Xbox 360 just for this game. Screw Halo 3.

On the other hand, another one of my favorite games out now is The Godfather: Blackhand Edition. The game greatly benefits from motion controls. Everything is so much more satisfying when you feel as if you are actually doing it instead of just pressing a button. I tried to play it on the Xbox 360, but it just wasn't the same. Sure, It looked better, but It didn't feel the same to strangle someone without actually strangling someone. Sure, the strangling motions aren't exactly realistic, but it definately makes the experience better tenfold.

The Question:

I always see someone say: "The Wii is just a PS2 with motion controlls," or "The PS3 is just a PS2 with prettier graphics." What to you is more realistic, motion controls or awesome graphics?

What is more realistic? I dont feel the motion controls on the the Wii are 'realistic'. It seems childish, and playlike. (Kinda like motion controls on the PS3) It's fun, entertaining. Realistic? Not really. I blame the accelerometer for the most part. Example. Wii Bowling. what if I want to be a dork, and throw the ball over my shoulder? Or do like a dork, and swing it between my legs. That is 'realism'. Not. 'I swing my arm through the motions, and what little the game does, is realistic, everything else is not.'. Is not very realistic. It takes a single motion, and turns it into 'realistic' When it can capture all 'motions' it will be realstic. The motion controls on the Wii, and PS3, are nothing more than, amusing control inputs to me.

Graphics. I feel graphics are the corner stone of realism on a game. However, it dosent make the game feel more 'real'.

If you want realism, get Duck hunt. The graphics are shit, but you hold a gun, point it, and shoot at birds.

In real life, you would hold a gun, point it, and shoot at birds.

Realism list.

SNES > NES > PS3/Wii > everything else.

The Wii has advantage controls, the PS3 has advantange graphics. NES and SNES wins becuase of the 'guns'.

For universal games, A complex game is more at home on the PS3, due to added buttons, makes performing more actions easier. A simpler game, The Wii is more at home, being easier to do the actions, with a little more 'personal' involvement. Overall, they are both 'sub par' when it comes to 'realism' 

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

this could possible not end well

/straps on flame sheild and helmet

my opinion is graphics, for now untill controls get a little more advanced, but controls are def big in my book

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.

I don't think the Wii gestures are realistic... And well Graphics do look quite realistic.

So atm graphics>controls in terms of realism.

I have another opinion on the fun factor but it's off topic.

Around the Network

Right now, Motion controls are a primitive shell of potential. While right now really Graphics is an easy winner due to near photorealism cinematics, and impressive in-game graphics, I think in the coming years as Motion controls become more advanced they'll really become a selling point. Imagine if in 5 years you could actually experience the in game world from inside it. Immersion is becoming more and more important every day, and Motion controls are the way to go.

At the moment graphics>.....controls.

Graphics don't really matter. If you are actually swinging like in tennis or shooting in duck hunt like Kwaad said then those controls feel more realistic.

Graphics don't put you in the game since you just look at them but if you actually control the person on the screen it is more realistic.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

I guess everyone has different opinions on this.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

both?, i'm not really bothered to be honest, some current Wii games seem to be trying to simulate real life motions but i don't see that as the best way for Wii games, i think it's part of the reason for the poor quality of most (not all) third party games.
some obviouslywork well simulating things like Wii Tennis and some other sports....or like Warioware where you simulate random tasks for a short time.

Again this is similar for realistic graphics, they work with some types of game but not all (though developers have had a long time to know what works and what doesnt) but i think a lot of realism that should work is becoming dull by merely being realistic.

can't decide between the two myself, i would say once people get used to motion controls properly that they will help it feel more realistic as long as there is some attempt at realism graphically.
At the moment graphics are doing a better job of realism for the most part (though like i say Wii sports has done the motion excellently) but they can have a tendency be dull, and thus make the game just like a mathmatical problem, ie something to be done rather than have fun with.

All an opinion of course.