By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is more realistic, real world controls, or real world graphics?

Hrm, its difficult but personally the amount of personal integration into a game defines how realistic something is to me. For example i dont feel fully immersed by a game with amazing graphics. A game that requires me to act out an action or a command (however primitive it may be) is far more involved than a game that i just sit and tap a button with.  But yes, motion controls are still very primitive wheras graphics are reaching their peak, i feel the future of true immersion lies with controls.

Games i'm currently playing:

Around the Network
Words Of Wisdom said:
What is more realistic, real world controls, or real world graphics?

We don't have either right now so who cares?

I take it back, that strange land outside the front door has both. Still haven't figured out to get the high score in it though.

300th post.  Um... yay?

i an tell you this it is not like GTA--i mean i ran over an old lady right after dragging her out of teh car yesterday and i didt see my score go up,..

lolita said:
^

I know it's fun like I said on the end of one of my post, for me the fun factor isn't the same as realism factor. In fun factor: controls>graphics

But in term of realism, graphics atm, are more well, realistic.

Don't get the terms wrong people, this thread is about which one is more realist, not fun.

In that case, neither are realistic.  We're not going to get striking realism in graphics until we have stereoscopic 3D games.  If you've ever seen this (and I don't mean those crappy carnival 3D games with less-than-N64 graphics), you'll know what I'm talking about.

Seriously, Sony should go for this with the PS4.  That would be a system I would spend $500 for. 

Maybe they could even do a PS3 Deluxe that runs the "old" games in stereoscopic 3D. Much like the drivers for the PC glasses do. But of course you need more speed for that...would be interesting.

"But this is HDTV. It's got better resolution than the real world." - Fry from Futurama

~ Random Quote

Around the Network
andrewpeirce said:
Lets put it this way. Would you rather have full immersion virtual reality (smell, taste feel ect) with N64 level graphics (but as much stuff on screen as you want, and as much detail as you want, ie 10 books full of writing, just shapes and things are at N64 levels) or would you have photo realistic game play with an Xbox 360 controller?
both are important, control more so. In video games, it goes In ovation-refinement-innovation-refinement-innovation. However, last gen was the analog stick refinement gen. This gen is the innovation gen. Microsoft and PS3 failed to innovate. They failed. They are a Gen behind, and their sales are hurting for it. (high prices don't help either :P)
Controls>graphics
Gameplay>graphics
innovation>graphics
creativity>graphics
Level Design>graphics

Graphics are what hold a game together. Its like the eggs in a cake. You need eggs for the cake, but really good eggs won't make the cake that much better than average eggs. In video games, the eggs are constantly improving anyway, so why waste time and money on the top of the line eggs? The other ingreadiants, how the cake is designed, and the bakers skill are all more important than the eggs he uses. But you still do need eggs.

Try using rotten eggs on that cake

I would say graphics and for fun too, I don't want to see in the future a tennis game that I actually need to run, swing, etc. If I want that I go outside and play tennis, I'm to lazy for that and that is why I like video games so much. :)

controls >> graphics.

i like whoever said the wii controls are not quite like real life controls

in that case graphics over controls

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.

I saw this topic the other day and didn't get a chance to respond b/c I fell out of my chair and broke my arm when I saw Kwaad responded. ;)

But back to the topic at hand, I think the motion controls have a greater potential when it comes to making a game more 'immersive'. As many have already noted, waggle controls are not always accurate. And that can detract rather than add to the effect. But I think that has a lot to do with how skilled the developers are versus a hardware flaw.

Numbers are like people. Torture them enough and you can get them to say anything you want.

VGChartz Resident Thread Killer