By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is more realistic, real world controls, or real world graphics?

Let me put it another way, I bought Gran Turismo 4 and the Logitech 900-degree force feedback wheel because the driving simulation and controls were like no other video game previously. I didn't buy it because the cars looked pretty, that's just a bonus.

Controls are what separate video games from other forms of entertainment. They ARE the game. The only thing you get to do that affects the game is manipulate the controls. How could they not be the most important element?

Around the Network

I'd have to say Graphics=Controls

SSBB: 1977-0005-2980 (JOEY) MKWii: 4382-2877-5902 (Joeykanga)
Wii:4027-0084-9432-1532             PM me if you add me.
Tag courtesy of fkusumot: Joeykanga - "Just post something once, don't ruin the thread"

When I first plugged in my Wii to my TV I was really amazed by Tennis; It felt so real, so fun, so new... that is until some hours later, I understood the whole infant mechanic behing it. The game only understands two motions ( left & right ) and power due to the accelerometers. Everything else was just the timing, something like a button press. My point is, motion controls need some work to be done in order to compete with graphics as far as realism is involved. On the other hand, some games like MP3 or Sonic SR and SSX Blur actually improve the game play experience due to their merrier implementation ( and that, in turn, due to the game genre/style ). To conclude, IMO it's a matter what game are u playing; if you're playing a FPS or a game that can directly convert analogue control to the Wiimote... Motion > Graphics. Other games, like RPGs, quick-paced action games ( like DMC ) Graphics > Motion.

it just depends--controls and graphics are both limted--eventualy you will cap at the point where we aer playing interactive hi-def movies---and we will be using 1:1 motion controls that give you actual feed back and make you feel synced withthe game

at that point on even ground control will really be the main point to make the game "real"

Why do people want realism in games anyway?

I play games as a form of escapism, why the hell would I want to go into a virtual recreation of a world I'm trying to get away from?

Realism in video games is a joke.

Around the Network

There are no real world controls what are you talking about?

mM

In terms of reality, graphics look more real than the controls feel real.. but if the controls felt they were real as opposed to 'fun', then i'd feel quite stupid to be playing tennis indoors

Screw Motion controls... the thing that makes the Wii so much better is the Wii Remote / Nunchuck combination for comfort and the pointer for added functionality, the occasional motion is okay but it's far from 'realistic'.

Wii Remote Pointer + Metroid Prime = Joy.

What is more realistic, real world controls, or real world graphics?

We don't have either right now so who cares?

I take it back, that strange land outside the front door has both. Still haven't figured out to get the high score in it though.

300th post.  Um... yay?

It really depends on the game. I don't want to see a real live Mario. I prefer him without the plumber's butt crack

I do like being more involved in the video game, but I wouldn't want "realistic" motion controls for a SSBB type game, where I had to do my own backflips and stuff. I think semirealistic motion controls are good, and I think realistic looking games where realism enhances the game is good. More of the games I like deal with semirealistic motion, so for me, MC > G