By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Whats happening to gaming?

Ishy said:
well said andrew peirce... you play quality games like God of War and then theres some sex mini game in the game just because it bolsters hype and sales from desperate teen kids... and yes lolita it is pretty insulting and degrading (but that's what happens when you have pervy old MEN, in charge of everything), I'm doing an investigation on it for my exams about how men and women are used in advertising... the whole 'sex sells' mantra is what i'm gonna be looking at

When I get a PS2 in 3 yaers (im a cheapskate lol) I want to get God of War, but I may not if those sex mini games are unavoidable. are they optininal? I saw a report on it in G$, and the minigame did not appel to me...

Around the Network
Ishy said:
One thing of note andrew... the amount of sex and violence in the media as a whole, will soon be reduced because inherently in the media there is a 'male gaze' as most of the people involved in CONTROLLING and VIEWING the media are men, but as soon as it equals up with men and women HOPEFULLY things will change...

Things are already changing for the better with more equal male/female say in soceity. example- laundry rooms are being placed in houses upsatires near the clothing closet. This makes it eaier for women to do the laundry then if the laundry room is deep in the basement.

Legend11 said:
And... what does that have to do with adults playing videogames in the 1980s? If anything the rise of violent videogames had *nothing* to do with Nintendo since their games were not violent (with a few exceptions that didn't have much of an impact).  But you are right about Midway and Capcom influencing and creating such games.

As usual, I believe you missed my point ...

If you go back to the early 1990s Nintendo was dominant in both Hardware (NES, SNES and Gameboy) and Software like no company has ever been before; people didn't play videogames they played 'Nintendo' and a Gameboy wasn't a portable videogame system it was a 'Portable Nintendo'. By all accounts, Nintendo sold nearly as much software on their systems as all other developers did (and there systems represented the bulk of the market).

Adults did start playing videogames in the 1970s but until the 1990s (like comic books and board games) most of the people who played videogames were young children and when they became teenagers they (pretty much) stopped playing.

PC games in the early 1990s were where the first "Mature" games were showing up with games like Wolfenstein 3D, most of these games were Shareware and there were no large publishers associated with them; some of these games were amazingly successful and catapulted these tiny companies to superstar status. At this point in time these violent games are still (mostly) a niche product.

It wasn't until Mortal Kombat (and the dozens of clones) that people really started to see "Mature" games as being a very profitable direction to move.

My point with bringing up Nintendo as being so successful was that if more publishers were having success in the same markets and on the same level as Nintendo they probably wouldn't have moved so hard into capturing the Teenage Boy market with these "Mature" games.

Anyways ... As I said before this focusing on such a narrow demographic pushed other markets away. Many publishers would rather spend their money to be the fifth copy of a clone of a popular "Mature" game than attempt to make a game which appealed to teenage girls or women.

HappySqurriel said:
Legend11 said:
And... what does that have to do with adults playing videogames in the 1980s? If anything the rise of violent videogames had *nothing* to do with Nintendo since their games were not violent (with a few exceptions that didn't have much of an impact).  But you are right about Midway and Capcom influencing and creating such games.

As usual, I believe you missed my point ...

If you go back to the early 1990s Nintendo was dominant in both Hardware (NES, SNES and Gameboy) and Software like no company has ever been before; people didn't play videogames they played 'Nintendo' and a Gameboy wasn't a portable videogame system it was a 'Portable Nintendo'. By all accounts, Nintendo sold nearly as much software on their systems as all other developers did (and there systems represented the bulk of the market).

Adults did start playing videogames in the 1970s but until the 1990s (like comic books and board games) most of the people who played videogames were young children and when they became teenagers they (pretty much) stopped playing.

PC games in the early 1990s were where the first "Mature" games were showing up with games like Wolfenstein 3D, most of these games were Shareware and there were no large publishers associated with them; some of these games were amazingly successful and catapulted these tiny companies to superstar status. At this point in time these violent games are still (mostly) a niche product.

It wasn't until Mortal Kombat (and the dozens of clones) that people really started to see "Mature" games as being a very profitable direction to move.

My point with bringing up Nintendo as being so successful was that if more publishers were having success in the same markets and on the same level as Nintendo they probably wouldn't have moved so hard into capturing the Teenage Boy market with these "Mature" games.

Anyways ... As I said before this focusing on such a narrow demographic pushed other markets away. Many publishers would rather spend their money to be the fifth copy of a clone of a popular "Mature" game than attempt to make a game which appealed to teenage girls or women.

I didn't miss your point, I just felt it was (and still is) ridiculous to give Nintendo any credit for violent videogames.  The game you mentioned, Mortal Kombat, was first released in arcades and was Midway's attempt to battle Capcom's Street Fighter games in arcades, not on Nintendo's consoles.  The teenagers that were playing games back then in arcades were the target audience for those types of games at the time.  Mortal Kombat basically got the ball rolling for violent videogames (there were others before it but none had the impact it did), it had nothing to do with the sales of Nintendo consoles or Nintendo games.  Nintendo even went so far as to censor Mortal Kombat on the SNES so it's not like the SNES was fertile ground for them.  Also it was the Playstation that helped to expand the audience and made it "cool" for adults to play videogames, that's why the majority of violent/mature videogames appeared on their systems.  Basically what I'm trying to say is that you got it all wrong and hopefully I cleared up things for you.  You're welcome.

Copycon said:
andrewpeirce said:

violence doesnt eqaul corruption. The greeks were corrut, and they did great. They were pretty much the most sucesfful society ever imo...

I hope you are being ironic, o, how do you define sucessful in this case?

Let me exemplify (Athens):

Men having sex with boys for pleasure, women were only for giving birth to men, a necessary evil.

All free men were allowed to wote, that was about... 40% or less of the male population.

Is that a definition of your morals, or where lies the succes?

I was being Ironic. However, the Greeks were very well of fainancially ect. So my guess is that as Society beomces proesperous... people have too much time on thier hands and soiiety slowly breaks down?

Around the Network
Copycon said:
famousringo said:

I'm not sure where you live, but here in North America violent crime rates have been falling pretty steadily. So I don't think you can argue that society is becoming more violent. The most linked causes of violent crime are poverty and youth. Since the population has been getting older and richer, society had been getting less violent, not more.

As to sexuality, I would challenge you to argue that sexuality is somehow inherently immoral. I doubt you'll be able to do so without logical fallacies. I have no idea why pictures of naked women are more offensive to Western society than graphic murders. Nobody has ever died from boobies.

American society please, I never heard anyone complain about tits in computer games EVER in Western Europe.

And WHY do people keep on connecting SEX and VIOLENCE, or even mention them together.

Sexuality is like humanity itself, it can be both good or evil. Or youcan see it as just sex.People are focusing on the evil aspects of sex. Violence is just plain evil, unfortunatly. The level of vilence makes a huge differnce though. Just as having enemies in windwaker vanish ina  puff of smoke is less violent than castrating a man in Manhunt 2 (oh wait, they took that out :P), playing dodgeball in real life is much less violent than beating a guy senelss for having sex with your girlfriend... one is acceptable violnce (IMO) and the other is not (IMO)...

now as you can see with my last example, sex and violnce can be related, but they are often not,a nd certanly do not have to be... 

jv103 said:

Well, I'm gonna argue one thing another poster said. Violent crime is decreasing. It's been going up since 2004,(2007 figures aren't in yet), but property crimes have gone down. Anywho, whether you like it or not violence isn't caused solely by videogames. There's many more socioeconomic factors involved. In fact, the vast majority ( upwards of 80%) of death row inmates are illiterate. There's more of a correlation between education/ and economic status, than video games. I'll admit that I'm a violent video game fan, but the fact is video games are a scapegoat, for the real issues. Besides, I don't think it is possible to play a video game without any violence or sex. I use both terms very loosely, more in a freudian sense. Because even mario is violent, just much more subtle. Same thing with games where you create things. On a very primordial level, destruction and creation seem to be very basic human desires. I think would leads to many of the problems in this society is the supression of natural human things and the taboos that come from making people feel guilty. "Ooooh Johnny you have a playboy, you're going to burn in hell!" <-- these type of things are more detrimental to society than video games. Although, I think that current esrb things are good, I think people should actually read them. I don't think games like manhunt 2 should be censored, just make it 18+.

Oh and also, the reason women are seen more as an object. I'll take a wild guess at it but maybe from Judeo-Christian values? If violence in media is the real underlying cause, how come I haven't seen one significant study validating that claim. The only evidence that I've seen has been anecdotal non-sense, (post hoc ergo propter hoc shit) Because he played grand theft auto, he went and shot those people. You know why that's convenient? It's convenient because it doesn't adress the gap and the emergence of classes in our society. Here's some figures

Population below poverty line:

12% (2004 est.)
Household income or consumption by percentage share:

lowest 10%: 1.8%
highest 10%: 30.5% (1997)

That's from the cia world fact book. The economykeeps growing so I'm assuming that the wealth gap is increased as well.

Fortunatly, our society is well regulated, so violent people either get caught or are afraid to commit crimes. My fear is that people paly vilent games becase:

1. They are violent evil eople and know they cannot get away with crimes so they vent thorugh games

2. there friends play these games and they want to be accepted

3. They simply find the games fun, and don't see any moral implications

I think 99.5% of gamers are in group 2 and 3... however I think that playing these games too much may cuase people to becmoe more vioent in genreal, even if they are still rleativly nice poeple and never reach the level of crime... thats why the fact that more and more big name games and sandbox or FPS/3rd person shooter scares me

leo-j said:
FPS re taking over the nexgen consoles. I hate FPS that suck. Just make 2 or 3 not 40!!!

They should make more action/adventure

Heavenly sword 2
resistance 2(ps3's halo easily)
kingdom hearts 3(wii,ps3)
FF XIII
Uncharted
etc...

More good rpg's with good action an adventure style of gameplay. Shooters are only good if they look good. If they look bad they suck.

or just fun imagnitive quirky games. there seems to be more cookie cutter FPS's then these types of games (Loco Roco, Pikmin, ect)

jv103 said:

Well, I'm gonna argue one thing another poster said. Violent crime is decreasing. It's been going up since 2004,(2007 figures aren't in yet), but property crimes have gone down. Anywho, whether you like it or not violence isn't caused solely by videogames. There's many more socioeconomic factors involved. In fact, the vast majority ( upwards of 80%) of death row inmates are illiterate. There's more of a correlation between education/ and economic status, than video games. I'll admit that I'm a violent video game fan, but the fact is video games are a scapegoat, for the real issues. Besides, I don't think it is possible to play a video game without any violence or sex. I use both terms very loosely, more in a freudian sense. Because even mario is violent, just much more subtle. Same thing with games where you create things. On a very primordial level, destruction and creation seem to be very basic human desires. I think would leads to many of the problems in this society is the supression of natural human things and the taboos that come from making people feel guilty. "Ooooh Johnny you have a playboy, you're going to burn in hell!" <-- these type of things are more detrimental to society than video games. Although, I think that current esrb things are good, I think people should actually read them. I don't think games like manhunt 2 should be censored, just make it 18+.

Oh and also, the reason women are seen more as an object. I'll take a wild guess at it but maybe from Judeo-Christian values? If violence in media is the real underlying cause, how come I haven't seen one significant study validating that claim. The only evidence that I've seen has been anecdotal non-sense, (post hoc ergo propter hoc shit) Because he played grand theft auto, he went and shot those people. You know why that's convenient? It's convenient because it doesn't adress the gap and the emergence of classes in our society. Here's some figures

Population below poverty line:

12% (2004 est.)
Household income or consumption by percentage share:

lowest 10%: 1.8%
highest 10%: 30.5% (1997)

That's from the cia world fact book. The economykeeps growing so I'm assuming that the wealth gap is increased as well.

It's always easier to blame videogames than trying to address the root causes of social problems. Why complicate things if you can blame it on videogames, Satan, Muslims or H5N1.

I'm not a paleocon or anything but at the same time as I encourage freedom of expression I still see some kind of moral borders or limits. Which level of violence can we as a society accept? Can we accept games where you gang rape and slowly murder little girls and say "hey, it's just a game, and its not for kids, its for grownups"?  Where does that freedom end? Does it or should we be allowed to publish anything?

On the other hand; its really disturbing though, to see the extreme titties debate, that you can see in the US. You could almost think it's Saudi Arabia or something . How do people think about this? "It's okay to drive a car, own a gun, go to war but NOT LOOK AT TITTIES, because you are supposed to believe that it is the stork that brings the kids" 

Beware, I live!
I am Sinistar!
Beware, coward!
I hunger!
Roaaaaaaaaaar!

At least 62 million Wii sold by the end of 09 or my mario avatar will get sad

@copycon, i have always wondered that, aparently sex destroys all the moral fiber we have built in, and all the other problems stem from nudity

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog