By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Whats happening to gaming?

I don't really get why games need to be so violent but I guess being a girl, it would be considered normal. I'm not talking about a little bit of blood and such but much gore, games where you can beat people for no reason and such never appealed to me... I find them sick and I'm not into any religion, but I do have certain morals.

As for sex, well often woman are portraiyed as sexual objects in about anything. I don't really like it but I tend to avoid it that's all. I do enjoy sex and all, but it's kinda insulting to woman to seem like a pleasure toy rather than aliving being with feelings. Don't get me wrong though, not all men are like that but for most part, yes. *Personal experiance*

Around the Network
lolita said:
I don't really get why games need to be so violent but I guess being a girl, it would be considered normal. I'm not talking about a little bit of blood and such but much gore, games where you can beat people for no reason and such never appealed to me... I find them sick.

Exactly my opinion. I don't have any problems with action games like Far Cry or whatever even though I sometimes find it rather sad that the ADHD X-box generation is almost solely fed with this kind of games. And hey, everyone knows that Hot coffe currupts the minds of good christian americans more than stabbing out the eyes, saw off the the head does.

Well...

*Goes back to torturing monsters in Minish Cap*

Beware, I live!
I am Sinistar!
Beware, coward!
I hunger!
Roaaaaaaaaaar!

At least 62 million Wii sold by the end of 09 or my mario avatar will get sad

well said andrew peirce... you play quality games like God of War and then theres some sex mini game in the game just because it bolsters hype and sales from desperate teen kids... and yes lolita it is pretty insulting and degrading (but that's what happens when you have pervy old MEN, in charge of everything), I'm doing an investigation on it for my exams about how men and women are used in advertising... the whole 'sex sells' mantra is what i'm gonna be looking at

Why not add me on msn... ish_187@hotmail.co.uk

- - - > ¤ « ~ N i n t e n d o ~ » ¤ < - - -
Games purchased since December 30th 2006:
GBA:The Legend of Zelda:The Minish Cap
DS:Lunar Knights, Pokemon Diamond, The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass ,Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Hotel Dusk:Room 215, Mario vs DK 2: March of the Mini's and Picross DS
PS2: Devil May Cry 3:Dante's Awakening, Shadow of the Colosuss, Sega Mega Drive Collection, XIII , Sonic Mega Collection,Fifa 08 and Fifa 09.
GC:Fight Night Round 2
Wii VC:Super Mario 64 ,Lylat Wars ,Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, Super Castlevania IV, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Streets of Rage, Kirby's Adventure, Super Metroid, Super Mario Bros. 3, Mega Man 2Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting,Wave Race 64 and Lost Winds

Wii: Sonic and the Secret Rings, Godfather:Blackhand Edition, Red Steel, Tony Hawks Downhill Jam, Eledees, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Mario Strikers Charged Football,Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Super Mario Galaxy,House of the Dead 2 and 3 Return, Wii Fit, No More Heroes and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

X360: Spider Man
PS3:
Resistance: Fall of Man

@ rasone 77, i agree with some of what you have said, esp. about the sex stuff... too much casual sex these days... the media cheapens sex a lot for others...=(

DS:Lunar Knights, Pokemon Diamond, The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass ,Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Hotel Dusk:Room 215, Mario vs DK 2: March of the Mini's and Picross DS
PS2: Devil May Cry 3:Dante's Awakening, Shadow of the Colosuss, Sega Mega Drive Collection, XIII , Sonic Mega Collection,Fifa 08 and Fifa 09.
Wii VC:Super Mario 64 ,Lylat Wars ,Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, Super Castlevania IV, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Streets of Rage, Kirby's Adventure, Super Metroid, Super Mario Bros. 3, Mega Man 2Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting,Wave Race 64 and Lost Winds

Wii: Sonic and the Secret Rings, Godfather:Blackhand Edition, Red Steel, Tony Hawks Downhill Jam, Eledees, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Mario Strikers Charged Football,Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Super Mario Galaxy,House of the Dead 2 and 3 Return, Wii Fit, No More Heroes and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

PS3:

famousringo said:
andrewpeirce said:

It seems like very generation in video games, there are more quality games that focus mainly on violence and sex. There have pretty much always been violence and sex in games- in my opinion the quality and quantity of these games began to rise in the Snes era, and have not stopped. We are not at the point where you can simulate virtual murder by going through motion sensitive murder gestures that initiate gruesome murders on your TV. Whats happening to gaming? Whats causing this?

I have a couple guesses, and none of them are mutually exclusive.

The first is that, as video game graphics get better, it is easier to represent sex and vilence in games. For example, GTA was portably not possible until last gen.

Another guess is that people are just curious about violence or aspects of violence, and are trying to understand it. This could be especially true in games such as Call of Duty.

Yet another guess is that society in general is become morally corrupt. For example, there is a banner add on this website that has a partially naked woman. No one, including myself, thinks anything of this banner I bet. IT's just the way it is. Perhaps that is happening with video games as well; as violence and sexuality become more accepted in society, these ideas become more prevelant in the game.

My last guess is that the number of violent and sexual games is increasing because there is a market for it. This on is pretty obvious though :P

Please note that I am not for banning violent or sexual video games, though I am morally opposed to games such as Leisure suit Larry: Magnu Cam Laude or Manhunt.

What do you think is causing the increase in sexuality and violence in gaming?

I'm not sure where you live, but here in North America violent crime rates have been falling pretty steadily. So I don't think you can argue that society is becoming more violent. The most linked causes of violent crime are poverty and youth. Since the population has been getting older and richer, society had been getting less violent, not more.

As to sexuality, I would challenge you to argue that sexuality is somehow inherently immoral. I doubt you'll be able to do so without logical fallacies. I have no idea why pictures of naked women are more offensive to Western society than graphic murders. Nobody has ever died from boobies.

violence doesnt eqaul corruption. The greeks were corrut, and they did great. They were pretty much the most sucesfful society ever imo...

Around the Network

One thing of note andrew... the amount of sex and violence in the media as a whole, will soon be reduced because inherently in the media there is a 'male gaze' as most of the people involved in CONTROLLING and VIEWING the media are men, but as soon as it equals up with men and women HOPEFULLY things will change...

PS3:

andrewpeirce said:

violence doesnt eqaul corruption. The greeks were corrut, and they did great. They were pretty much the most sucesfful society ever imo...

I hope you are being ironic, o, how do you define sucessful in this case?

Let me exemplify (Athens):

Men having sex with boys for pleasure, women were only for giving birth to men, a necessary evil.

All free men were allowed to wote, that was about... 40% or less of the male population.

Is that a definition of your morals, or where lies the succes?

Beware, I live!
I am Sinistar!
Beware, coward!
I hunger!
Roaaaaaaaaaar!

At least 62 million Wii sold by the end of 09 or my mario avatar will get sad
famousringo said:
andrewpeirce said:

It seems like very generation in video games, there are more quality games that focus mainly on violence and sex. There have pretty much always been violence and sex in games- in my opinion the quality and quantity of these games began to rise in the Snes era, and have not stopped. We are not at the point where you can simulate virtual murder by going through motion sensitive murder gestures that initiate gruesome murders on your TV. Whats happening to gaming? Whats causing this?

I have a couple guesses, and none of them are mutually exclusive.

The first is that, as video game graphics get better, it is easier to represent sex and vilence in games. For example, GTA was portably not possible until last gen.

Another guess is that people are just curious about violence or aspects of violence, and are trying to understand it. This could be especially true in games such as Call of Duty.

Yet another guess is that society in general is become morally corrupt. For example, there is a banner add on this website that has a partially naked woman. No one, including myself, thinks anything of this banner I bet. IT's just the way it is. Perhaps that is happening with video games as well; as violence and sexuality become more accepted in society, these ideas become more prevelant in the game.

My last guess is that the number of violent and sexual games is increasing because there is a market for it. This on is pretty obvious though :P

Please note that I am not for banning violent or sexual video games, though I am morally opposed to games such as Leisure suit Larry: Magnu Cam Laude or Manhunt.

I'm not sure where you live, but here in North America violent crime rates have been falling pretty steadily. So I don't think you can argue that society is becoming more violent. The most linked causes of violent crime are poverty and youth. Since the population has been getting older and richer, society had been getting less violent, not more.

As to sexuality, I would challenge you to argue that sexuality is somehow inherently immoral. I doubt you'll be able to do so without logical fallacies. I have no idea why pictures of naked women are more offensive to Western society than graphic murders. Nobody has ever died from boobies.

Let the church say Amen...

"Amen."

John Lucas 

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

ha that first video was funny "OMG there's red stuff!"
also pretty funny showing the dev team at the start, four people to make a game :D

second vid i din't really understand, just looked like a wierd game of hangman.

and seriously what was that third game?, if that was Manhunt then i am going to have to agree with a lot of the media that was just wrong and that game should have been AO.

andrewpeirce said:

There's been no increase. Sexuality has been part of literature, film, TV and any other media forever. It's an essential part of our humanity, of who we are, and how we relate to other human beings. If you mean exploitation of sexuality for profit - that's something all media have to face, it's not unique to games.

As for violence - games don't represent realistic violence. Realistic violence is neither fun nor playable nor something you want to repeat over and over again. (Ask any veteran. All those heroic illusions vanish with the first IED detonation.) All those shooters are nothing but paintball with pixels, they're really just a form of sports entertainment.

As an American, I'm far less worried about depictions of warfare and guns in videogames, and far more worried about subtle forms of exclusion, intolerance and xenophobia which exist in the US mass media. Because those subtle forms are what paves the way to lousy political decisions, and the election of lousy politicians leads to illegal, unjust wars. That's something we can critique the media for - but the only solution is to pressure artists and companies to create better media and better games.