By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Guerrilla to “step back” from Killzone 2

So you aint got a solid proof at all? all you have is rumor + ur own estimation to back your claim?

Around the Network
XxXProphecyXxX said:
you gave me a link to a rumor?
Oh come on. We know it was one of the highest ever dev costs for a game. And it was in development for ages. This rumour seems to be one everyone took on board and published. Yes it's a rumour, but most dev costs are only ever guesstamets. Your right it's not 100% conclusive, but I would bet alot of monry it was close to that. The online figures are not arguable though. I really thought more people played KZ2 than that.

@selnor

So it is just your "estimations"well then that settles it....no need to waste more time here.....have a nice night.

nen-suer said:
@XxXProphecyXxX

There is this game called "Persona", in it rumors comes true if people start to believe it XD

@selnor

They never stopped working since the games was released (patches maps), most developer takes alooong time off before resuming work just like what FonzGemini said

Tell u what are u betting that there will be no more DLCs?

Hey guys you know what. It's fine. Forget about the dev costs. We know they were high. Lets just leave it at that.

Think of this though. If KZ2 hasn't made any profit yet, constantly making DLC takes the dev costs higher. Meaning if there is only currently 259 players online compared to thousands on other online games, is the DLC sales really going to mkae money back? After 3 DLC's, the right thing to do is see if it's financially viable to continue. Sadly I dont think it is. So I would not be surprised to see no further DLC.

selnor said:

Ahh I see.

Doing some research:

Only 30,000 average players online regularly.
Compared to 3 million average online Halo 3 players.

Roughly $60 mill made in sales of 1.74mill. ( Dev costs Were 60 mill at start of 2008, cant find final figure. ) The game likely hasnt made any profit yet. I would say antoher year onto 60 mill would see dev costs around 70-75 mill.

So with no profit and not much of an online community, I can see why they are halting DLC production. Doesn't look good for KZ3.

$60 million at the start of 08?  You do realize that figure originated from Surfer Girl, don't you?

Remember this story? that figure was actually €21 million ($30 million) and it has only gone up from there (by gone up i mean it has doubled to €42 million/$60 million). by the time killzone 2 comes out it will dethrone shenmue as the most expensive video game ever made.  the game should have cost the former figure but guerrilla's managerial lacks any sort of financial or work allocation skills, the studio has high turnover and a few other things. because of this incapacity a nice portion of the team at studio cambridge is assisting in development. to top this off the game may be pretty but it's barely mediocre and past the point of no return.  the september release date floating around will without a doubt be missed if guerrilla sticks to their intention of not releasing the game until its done which will be early next year.

To add to this, over at Insomniac, there is a general feeling of sharp resent towards Guerilla and Killzone, as they believe that Guerrilla is imbibing the currency whilst they are delivering. In far less time and with less people, Insomniac have a far better title is further along in development.  This resent seems justified.

What's funny is that she even screwed up the initial figure that she based her BS on. The initial reports put Killzone 2 at 16 million Euros, which appoximated 21 million USD.  Not 21 million Euros and 30 million USD.

From GameSpot:

While Black Book cost more than 16 million euros (approximately $21 million), Guerilla won't mention specific numbers for Killzone's budget. "Our budget tops [the film]," said Killzone director Arjan Brussee. "We're working on the biggest multimedia project in Dutch history."

Not surprising that you would trust such a sketchy source (Sufer Girl?  Seriously? ) simply because it makes a ps3 game look bad.

Around the Network

^ LOL, and thanks for clearing things up

Vote to Localize — SEGA and Konami Polls

Vote Today To Help Get A Konami & SEGA Game Localized.This Will Only Work If Lots Of People Vote.

Click on the Image to Head to the Voting Page (A vote for Yakuza is a vote to save gaming)

What I can tell is that the soaked up every ounce of ball sweat they had over the 100+ guys that were working on the game and 3+ years of development time and poured it into the game. Now what they need to do is work out why Valves A/B team, Why Epic games, why Bungie and why Infinity Ward do much better with far less effort and without having to collect so much ball sweat to produce excellent and high selling games. The mark of a truely awesome developer is to make it look easy, and they made it look really really hard. 

Theres a fundamental difference between Killzone 2 and Left 4 Dead and even more so Gears of War/Half Life/Call of Duty and unless they understand it they will remain on the middling end of big developers.

Tease.

Squilliam said:

What I can tell is that the soaked up every ounce of ball sweat they had over the 100+ guys that were working on the game and 3+ years of development time and poured it into the game. Now what they need to do is work out why Valves A/B team, Why Epic games, why Bungie and why Infinity Ward do much better with far less effort and without having to collect so much ball sweat to produce excellent and high selling games. The mark of a truely awesome developer is to make it look easy, and they made it look really really hard. 

Theres a fundamental difference between Killzone 2 and Left 4 Dead and even more so Gears of War/Half Life/Call of Duty and unless they understand it they will remain on the middling end of big developers.

You are over thinking this squill, they just need a break from the long work plus after the latest patch and the DLCs they feel K2 don't need any more updates any time soon

And i don't think they struggled to make killzone 2" i mean they said that they had a harder time cracking the PS2 than it did with the PS3.

source: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90678-Killzone-2-Dev-PS3-Development-Is-Easy

Vote to Localize — SEGA and Konami Polls

Vote Today To Help Get A Konami & SEGA Game Localized.This Will Only Work If Lots Of People Vote.

Click on the Image to Head to the Voting Page (A vote for Yakuza is a vote to save gaming)

@ Squilliam...

Tell that to 3D Realms....at least Guerilla actually released a game...

nen-suer said:
Squilliam said:

You are over thinking this squill, they just need a break from the long work plus after the latest patch and the DLCs they feel K2 don't need any more updates any time soon

And i don't think they struggled to make killzone 2" i mean they said that they had a harder time cracking the PS2 than it did with the PS3.

source: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90678-Killzone-2-Dev-PS3-Development-Is-Easy

What I mean is this: Valves B team put in less than half the effort, produced a game with no real single-player and managed to sell more copies. What im hoping is that they learn that graphics don't sell games much, and graphics are the easiest for another developer to come along and trump. They sure put a lot of effort into graphics and visual fidelity, did it pay off? Well the effort to reward ratio seems small so whilst it did pay them back, it probably didn't give them any positive return on total effort invested.

Tease.