By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Modern Warfare 2 officially not heading to Wii

Considering the Treyarch developed CoD: WaW has sold 11.4 million (not including PC sales) I don't think it's a complete loss if some of IW left the company.

Besides, leaving on account of having to develop a Wii SKU might be the most childish thing I've heard all year. Those founders of IW that left 2015 Inc did so out of financial purposes and to establish their own studio. 2015 Inc wasn't even owned by EA. It was a private studio. In fact, guess who published their first game....Activision.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
Viper1 said:

Not familar with callibration I see.  This allows you to adjust the aiming reticle so that it coincides with natural aiming instead of the sensor bar offset.

I sit 5 feet away from a 53" LCD which is mounted on a wall. The Wii is totally useless for shooters and I have 'calibrated' heaps of times. But the thing is most people don't calibrate and if it doesn't work out of the box then it may as well not work at all.

You either have interference or physical difficulties.    Try callibrating The Conduit and if what you aim at isn't perfectly aligned with your on screen reticle, I'll never post here again (barring any physical or interference problems).

As for those that don't callibrate the Wii remote for games that offer it, it still works quite well.  Your aim becomes adjusted to the offset after just a few minutes of play.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Squilliam said:
uno said:
Nope. Some of us like the more natural moving cursor of a Mouse and Wiimote.

Have you ever shot a real gun? Did any of them have two sticks to aim and move with?

Not enough people care for the advantages of the Wiimote to really go for shooters on the Wii. So at this point its an interesting concept but the takeup of shooters on the Wii don't really seem to imply any natural advantages there. Also given the sales of a game like Call of Duty 4 which had an excellent PC release as well, it seems that in the western would the prefered shooter controller is the dual analogue sticks at present. You can care to differ if you want but the market does seem to indicate otherwise.

Btw if a gun was anything like the Wiimote you'd have to aim away from the target to hit it. Also I never thought a bar of soap had anything to do with aiming a gun.

The bolded part seems faulty from a logical point of view. In two ways, the first being a quite obvious problem with the particualr issue at hand, the second being a very common piece of faulty logic on this site.

a) unless there's a game released in multiple versions that only differ in controls, you can't deduce from the users' response that the difference was made by the controls or even that the controls werent' more liked in the less sold version, but buried by other unfavourable points.

b) even if there was such a game as an ideal test case, the sales don't really indicate necessarily a preference about the product. A preference implies that the user has experienced two or more products ( in this ideal case only differing because of the control method ) and after this comparison has formed an opinion that led to his/her buying decision. While that's quite common for products that are consumables and thus bought over and over, say trying various brands of shampoo before setting on the one I prefer, that's usually false for items like games that you only buy once. In general if game A sells more than game B it's not as if most buyers tried both of them, and as such you can't say they for the greatest part preferred A. At best you can say that their decision followed factors that brought them to think they would prefer A to B (reviews, opinions of other people, trust in brand, marketing, similarity to  items experienced in the past, etc).

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

Viper1 said:
Squilliam said:
Viper1 said:

Not familar with callibration I see.  This allows you to adjust the aiming reticle so that it coincides with natural aiming instead of the sensor bar offset.

I sit 5 feet away from a 53" LCD which is mounted on a wall. The Wii is totally useless for shooters and I have 'calibrated' heaps of times. But the thing is most people don't calibrate and if it doesn't work out of the box then it may as well not work at all.

You either have interference or physical difficulties.    Try callibrating The Conduit and if what you aim at isn't perfectly aligned with your on screen reticle, I'll never post here again (barring any physical or interference problems).

As for those that don't callibrate the Wii remote for games that offer it, it still works quite well.  Your aim becomes adjusted to the offset after just a few minutes of play.

Actually what I have is a 3 foot gap between where I can place the sensor bar and the centre of the screen. However I will rent The Conduit and I will have yet another go at calibrating the Wii. My point earlier about the aiming was not that the Wiimote was inaccurate, I have no place to judge other peoples experiences when my own circumstances are unique, its more a comment that the offset exists between aiming and the screen.

If Activision left Call of Duty to the devices of Treyarch the series would go downhill. Whilst Treyarch are a good studio, they aren't good enough especially if they no longer have Infinity Ward as a guide. Call of Duty IV sells better now than Call of Duty V. If developers were animals then Infinity Ward would be the apex predator currently of shooter development.

@Frogman:

C) Water runs down hill. What I mean is this, sales tend to go to the better products especially with games which have a heavy multiplayer component so theres a significant word of mouth factor. Im not talking about games which appeal to me personally, but games which appeal to the market. So whilst their are important factors such as reputation, advertisement for both awareness and indicating quality, all of these series started from 0 at some point with a fresh face on a crowded market. 

But in any case what I was meaning was that Wii owners didn't seem to show any particular affinity for shooters which is why I doubted that the Wiimote was a strong drawcard. In the absence of strong competition the shooter games which were released should have done better. Its the dollars and cents which drive the market towards the ultimate conclusion of what is popular and what isn't. Its only when games are recieving an 'economic surplus' which drives more competition and better competition into segments of the market. The problem here is we have the opposite happening, we have Activision exiting this market which implies that there isn't enough of a surplus (Profit greater than other opportunities forgone) to warrant a release.

Tease.

^Mountain lakes prove that what water does locally does not imply much about global topography :) Or in our terms, that the relation between sales and evaluation of products could very well work for small subsets (say between all FPSs on 360) but not work across big chasms due to other factors.

That said, while the Wii market for FPS games has not proven easy or extremely rewarding yet, it's still probably profitable enough for a big franchise like COD to venture in.
Of course I don't agree with those saying that it's Activision to call all the shots on the issue. If IW for some reason felt that going for a Wii version in parallel with the PS3/360/PC one would have been stretching out too much, Activision would just shut up, get those versions out first and maybe think about a later port by some other studio.
When a studio like IW is basically a goose laying golden eggs for you, you don't mess with the development process potentially giving you 10M+ sales to add an extra 1.5M (at a lower profit per copy).

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

Around the Network

I dont see reason for it to come Wii.

Take my love, take my land..

Squilliam said:
FreeTalkLive said:
LordMatrix said:
How is anyone shocked by this? Just look at the game trailers and gameplay shown. This game would literally fry the Wii. There would have to be way to many adjustments and down grades made in order to port this to the Wii. It simply isn't worth doing. If you are a huge shooter fan like myself you likely use an X360 or PS3 for your FPS needs. This just isn't a strong genre for the system and most people know this. The Conduit doesn't seem to be helping change this either looking at the recent NPD sales it looks like it will not make a dent. I was really hoping that game would help pave the way for good shooters on Wii but alas the game is average. :( Any shooter fan will tell you the same I'm sure. The Wii really needs it's own Goldeneye/Halo/Killzone to show what the Wii can bring to the tables.

I'd think a really big shooting fan would use a PC and not an Xbox 360 or especially a PS3 for their FSP needs.  Please tell me why you use a console with poor control for FPS games to play FPS games and not a PC.

Tactile feedback (Rumble), immersive environment (PC speakers sux) and comfortable lounge chair, relaxed playing position, simplicity, little cheating, mouse is over-rated for FPS and so is the Wiimote, own a laptop and not a desktop PC.

Are any of those reasonable enough?

Thanks for the response squill now I will also add to that: cramping of the hands when playing any game thats not an rts on a pc.

How our favorite systems are just like humans and sometimes have issues finding their special someone...

Xbox 360 wants to KinectPS3 wants to Move!  Why are both systems having such relationship problems?  The reason is they both become so infactuated with desire while watching the Wii as it waggles on by. They simply want what they can't have.

Official member of the Xbox 360 Squad

Squilliam said:
Viper1 said:
Squilliam said:
Viper1 said:

Actually what I have is a 3 foot gap between where I can place the sensor bar and the centre of the screen. However I will rent The Conduit and I will have yet another go at calibrating the Wii. My point earlier about the aiming was not that the Wiimote was inaccurate, I have no place to judge other peoples experiences when my own circumstances are unique, its more a comment that the offset exists between aiming and the screen.

If Activision left Call of Duty to the devices of Treyarch the series would go downhill. Whilst Treyarch are a good studio, they aren't good enough especially if they no longer have Infinity Ward as a guide. Call of Duty IV sells better now than Call of Duty V. If developers were animals then Infinity Ward would be the apex predator currently of shooter development.

@Frogman:

C) Water runs down hill. What I mean is this, sales tend to go to the better products especially with games which have a heavy multiplayer component so theres a significant word of mouth factor. Im not talking about games which appeal to me personally, but games which appeal to the market. So whilst their are important factors such as reputation, advertisement for both awareness and indicating quality, all of these series started from 0 at some point with a fresh face on a crowded market. 

But in any case what I was meaning was that Wii owners didn't seem to show any particular affinity for shooters which is why I doubted that the Wiimote was a strong drawcard. In the absence of strong competition the shooter games which were released should have done better. Its the dollars and cents which drive the market towards the ultimate conclusion of what is popular and what isn't. Its only when games are recieving an 'economic surplus' which drives more competition and better competition into segments of the market. The problem here is we have the opposite happening, we have Activision exiting this market which implies that there isn't enough of a surplus (Profit greater than other opportunities forgone) to warrant a release.

I usually play my Wii(or anything else) only about 2 feet away from my WS monitor with the sensor bar on top of it, on a computer desk, and I never calibrate anything, I just think of it as an improved analog aiming when I use it, not so much a light gun. It's worked very well since that way I can rest my aiming hand right on my lap while sitting back and relaxing on my chair, resulting in fast and accurate controls. It really is better than dual analog, but not as good as a mouse, of course, I'm a PC gamer as well, no shooter can beat what the PC has to offer control-wise since the genre was built based on it from the very begining.

PS: I've been using full digital sounds on a full surround system with my computer since the nForce2 came out a long time ago( and now it's just standard everywhere, and creative costed too much, always) it's either that or head phones, so your computer speakers suck thing doesn't make much sense to me =P.

@dahuman

Yeah Mouse might be better but playing on a big screen + Wiimote = win.

uno said:
@dahuman

Yeah Mouse might be better but playing on a big screen + Wiimote = win.

I usually sit further when I'm playing on the HDTV because I don't want my eyes to implode(which makes the bigger screen thing moot,) but I usually record or stream my game play so I play it on my monitor more.

PS: it's also not uncommon for people to go wireless with their computer while playing on a big HDTV on the couch, these are all nothing new, I just don't like changing batteries or recharge stuff because I used to play WoW, just imagen mid raid tanking with dps closing in and all of a sudden the power dies on your keyboard or mouse then 25-40(vanilia WoW) people would die right after, not a pretty picture.