By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Modern Warfare 2 officially not heading to Wii

It's not a big deal really, their COD4 engine port was really bad to start with on the Wii, after looking at the Q3 engine, they probably didn't want to release a crappy looking game for people to compare to, and they'd have to copy the control setup of the conduit which would make them seem not as original or great I suppose.

Around the Network
LordMatrix said:
How is anyone shocked by this? Just look at the game trailers and gameplay shown. This game would literally fry the Wii. There would have to be way to many adjustments and down grades made in order to port this to the Wii. It simply isn't worth doing. If you are a huge shooter fan like myself you likely use an X360 or PS3 for your FPS needs. This just isn't a strong genre for the system and most people know this. The Conduit doesn't seem to be helping change this either looking at the recent NPD sales it looks like it will not make a dent. I was really hoping that game would help pave the way for good shooters on Wii but alas the game is average. :( Any shooter fan will tell you the same I'm sure. The Wii really needs it's own Goldeneye/Halo/Killzone to show what the Wii can bring to the tables.

I'd think a really big shooting fan would use a PC and not an Xbox 360 or especially a PS3 for their FSP needs.  Please tell me why you use a console with poor control for FPS games to play FPS games and not a PC.

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

FreeTalkLive said:
LordMatrix said:
How is anyone shocked by this? Just look at the game trailers and gameplay shown. This game would literally fry the Wii. There would have to be way to many adjustments and down grades made in order to port this to the Wii. It simply isn't worth doing. If you are a huge shooter fan like myself you likely use an X360 or PS3 for your FPS needs. This just isn't a strong genre for the system and most people know this. The Conduit doesn't seem to be helping change this either looking at the recent NPD sales it looks like it will not make a dent. I was really hoping that game would help pave the way for good shooters on Wii but alas the game is average. :( Any shooter fan will tell you the same I'm sure. The Wii really needs it's own Goldeneye/Halo/Killzone to show what the Wii can bring to the tables.

I'd think a really big shooting fan would use a PC and not an Xbox 360 or especially a PS3 for their FSP needs.  Please tell me why you use a console with poor control for FPS games to play FPS games and not a PC.

Tactile feedback (Rumble), immersive environment (PC speakers sux) and comfortable lounge chair, relaxed playing position, simplicity, little cheating, mouse is over-rated for FPS and so is the Wiimote, own a laptop and not a desktop PC.

Are any of those reasonable enough?

Tease.

Nope. Some of us like the more natural moving cursor of a Mouse and Wiimote.

Have you ever shot a real gun? Did any of them have two sticks to aim and move with?

Squilliam said:
Dinomax said:
mike_intellivision said:
One cannot blame a developer for doing what it wants to do. (To be honest, I am surprised that Activision is not MAKING Infinity Ward do a Wii version.)

That being said, if said developer complains that the sales did not top records, then leaving it off any platform would have to be one of the reasons.

Mike from Morgantown

I never understood this argument ""Developers dont want to do it""  I can picture them sitting there with there arms cross ""Sure COD4 engine runs on the Wii, but I dont feeeeeeeeel like it""  like a little spoiled shit.

You all know this is there JOB people.  To make games.  This isn't a bunch of nerds meeting together while sharing KFC (well maybe) this is a million dollar production.  There not freelancers, there not independent there majority of budget comes from publishers.  The conversation should of went.

Activison- Hey wheres the Wii version?

Infinity Ward-  We don't feel like it. 

Activison- Oh thats nice, I'll jut take that franchise off your hands, money and give it too someone who does feel like it.

Honestly I'm going to go to work and tell my boss I dont feel like working...oh wait that did happen to our last three staff.  There not around anymore and the business is doing well.  Concidence?

Developers like Infinity Ward have a lot of power. The real conversation goes something like this:

Activision: Hey, you're making the Wii version?

Infinity Ward: Nope!

Activision: Ok, so hows the spa treatment going for you guys? Did your company cars meet your satisfaction?

Even if Infinity Ward were  200 man studio, they'd make a million per year per person at least on these guys and since there are fewer than 200 guys they'd make more than a million $. 

The studios heart was formed by the Medal of Honour team walking from Electronic Arts, they can easily do it again because they have done it before. So no they wouldn't take the series from Infinity Ward because the series would die without their input and leave a noticeable hole in Activisions bottom line.

Im willing to bet if they hand a tantrum and said 'we don't want to work on the PS3 version nomore' Activision would consider it.

So don't like the Wii, they don't want to make for the Wii, Wii game no get made. Pretty simple stuff really.

It doesn't work this way.  The publisher in this case (as in most) owns the IP, supplies the money and writes the contracts.   If Activision includes Wii in the contract IW will make a Wii build.  End of story.  Some of you guys take the business aspect out of this business.   The idea that a whole company can tell their parent company (who owns the IP, supplies the money and writes the contracts) no with regards to a commission is laughable.

Also, the employees of IW are hardly paid $1 million per year.  Again that's laughable.  Perhaps Vince Zampella rolls that deep but the other 90 something employees do not make $1 million per year.  Not even close.

Finally, like I've already stated several times IW did indeed at one point have something regarding the Wii and MW2.  What became of it is unknown but it's certainly not as though they started work on the Wii SKU and IW just decided to stop for no reason other than bias against the SKU.  Something interrrupted development.   Perhaps it wasn't moving along fast enough, the Wii couldn't handle the upgraded engine well enough, the development of a MW double pack as someone suggested or various other reasons.   All business in nature.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network
uno said:

Have you ever shot a real gun? Did any of them have two sticks to aim and move with?

Not enough people care for the advantages of the Wiimote to really go for shooters on the Wii. So at this point its an interesting concept but the takeup of shooters on the Wii don't really seem to imply any natural advantages there. Also given the sales of a game like Call of Duty 4 which had an excellent PC release as well, it seems that in the western would the prefered shooter controller is the dual analogue sticks at present. You can care to differ if you want but the market does seem to indicate otherwise.

Btw if a gun was anything like the Wiimote you'd have to aim away from the target to hit it. Also I never thought a bar of soap had anything to do with aiming a gun.

Tease.

Squilliam said:
uno said:

Not enough people care for the advantages of the Wiimote to really go for shooters on the Wii. So at this point its an interesting concept but the takeup of shooters on the Wii don't really seem to imply any natural advantages there. Also given the sales of a game like Call of Duty 4 which had an excellent PC release as well, it seems that in the western would the prefered shooter controller is the dual analogue sticks at present. You can care to differ if you want but the market does seem to indicate otherwise.

Btw if a gun was anything like the Wiimote you'd have to aim away from the target to hit it. Also I never thought a bar of soap had anything to do with aiming a gun.

Not familar with callibration I see.  This allows you to adjust the aiming reticle so that it coincides with natural aiming instead of the sensor bar offset.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Viper1 said:
Squilliam said:

Developers like Infinity Ward have a lot of power. The real conversation goes something like this:

Activision: Hey, you're making the Wii version?

Infinity Ward: Nope!

Activision: Ok, so hows the spa treatment going for you guys? Did your company cars meet your satisfaction?

Even if Infinity Ward were  200 man studio, they'd make a million per year per person at least on these guys and since there are fewer than 200 guys they'd make more than a million $. 

The studios heart was formed by the Medal of Honour team walking from Electronic Arts, they can easily do it again because they have done it before. So no they wouldn't take the series from Infinity Ward because the series would die without their input and leave a noticeable hole in Activisions bottom line.

Im willing to bet if they hand a tantrum and said 'we don't want to work on the PS3 version nomore' Activision would consider it.

So don't like the Wii, they don't want to make for the Wii, Wii game no get made. Pretty simple stuff really.

It doesn't work this way.  The publisher in this case (as in most) owns the IP, supplies the money and writes the contracts.   If Activision includes Wii in the contract IW will make a Wii build.  End of story.  Some of you guys take the business aspect out of this business.   The idea that a whole company can tell their parent company (who owns the IP, supplies the money and writes the contracts) no with regards to a commission is laughable.

Also, the employees of IW are hardly paid $1 million per year.  Again that's laughable.  Perhaps Vince Zampella rolls that deep but the other 90 something employees do not make $1 million per year.  Not even close.

Finally, like I've already stated several times IW did indeed at one point have something regarding the Wii and MW2.  What became of it is unknown but it's certainly not as though they started work on the Wii SKU and IW just decided to stop for no reason other than bias against the SKU.  Something interrrupted development.   Perhaps it wasn't moving along fast enough, the Wii couldn't handle the upgraded engine well enough, the development of a MW double pack as someone suggested or various other reasons.   All business in nature.

With the sales of the last one then I guess the Wii version would be the first choice to get bumped off if they ran into any development delays or difficulty. Also I was talking about how much value each employee bought to the company, but then again its really just the design and operations team which are important in the company.

This business is different, the value is in the people and keeping the people happy, especially the guys who make the biggest selling yearly franchise of theirs is probably of greatest importance. If those people walk then the I.P will be close to worthless in a few years. So for that reason if one of the big guys at IW decides that they don't like the Wii or don't want to support it they could very well get their way. If they decided to walk they would have a dozen job offers inside a week. We're talking important people, not some machinary which Activision owns.

Its a simple cost benefit really. If the cost of keeping inner core of IW happy is < than the gain from selling millions of copies of Call of Duty then they will accede to those demands.

Tease.

Well, that ruins the hype for that one. too bad, I think it could have done well.

Viper1 said:
Squilliam said:
uno said:

Not familar with callibration I see.  This allows you to adjust the aiming reticle so that it coincides with natural aiming instead of the sensor bar offset.

I sit 5 feet away from a 53" LCD which is mounted on a wall. The Wii is totally useless for shooters and I have 'calibrated' heaps of times. But the thing is most people don't calibrate and if it doesn't work out of the box then it may as well not work at all.

Tease.