By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The reason the PSP will never surpass the DS

digitalentourage said:
I suppose I'm in the same boat really. What I define as a game that is "core" is a game that requires a certain level of feedback from the gamer in order to succeed at. I'm talking about either skill, time, effort, or emotion. There can be core games of any genre, and certainly of any theme. a game that is core is designed and created to focus on those that take video gaming seriously, and wish to invest loads of time into completing. Examples of Core games for me in various genres would be

shooter: Half-Life 2, Killzone 2, Gears of War, Resistance, CoD(MW)
platformer: Henry Hatsworth, Prinny: can i really be the hero?, Castlevania, Ratchet and Clank.
wrpg: Fallout, Oblivion, The Witcher, Demon's Soul's(Japanese, but wRPG style.)
Action-Adventure: Monster Hunter, Ico/SoTC,
free roam: GTA, Infamous, prototype
rhythm: DJMax, o2Jam, DDR,
Strategy: Valkyria Chronicles, Advance wars, starcraft, warcraft.(final fantasy)
jrpg: SMT, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Shadow Hearts, Xeno(gears/saga)
racing: Gran Turismo, wipeout
Fighter: Street Fighter, Soul Calibur, BlazBlue, MvC.
Puzzle: Lumines, Henry hatsworth(kind of), Meteos.
horror: RE, Silent Hill, Siren.

It's hard to make a good definition, and I guess it changes based on the person. I suppose my argument is really useless to make because to someone mario might actually be a core game.

I don't believe you are telling the whole definition of what you believe makes a game core.  What you just said does not explain why you think Castlevania is core and Super Mario Brothers is not.  With your explination, how does Super Mario Brothers not fit core, while Castlevania does?

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

Around the Network
digitalentourage said:
IxisNaugus said:
@ digitalentourage: I think you're ignoring the bigger picture. Your argument about the 'core', highly rated DS titles not selling well is pretty misinformed and the sales you posted aren't accurate. Why did you handpick a couple of games, most of which have actually sold very well, ignore countless others and then say games without Mario or Zelda in the name "simply do not sell"? What the hell?

You can say the majority of DS owners "do not own it for the core games", but the same could just as easily apply to the PSP. Why are you making it sound as if every last one of those who bought a PSP is a 'core gamer'? The PSP is also flooded with casuals. I'll also take this time to remind people that core games do under-perform on other consoles as well, it's not some Nintendo exclusive disease.

I just cant see 600k sales of one of the most popular video game franchises in history on possibly the most popular handheld and not make a comment on it.

The only point I wish to make is that in general, core games are not the reason the DS has such a large lead over the PSP.

that is the only thing I've been trying to say.

If that was the case, you'd have more than 400k sales on a platform with 100+ million installbase.

This may be, but the core games on the PSP aren't why it's selling a lot. Putting the DS being above the PSP argument aside, i'd like to pluck a certain part of your arguments. You seem to have this warped view of what a core title is. You've constantly made it sound as though the PSP is associated with the core gamers and absolutely no one else, do you know how casual that console is? You can't possibly insinuate that it's 50mil+ userbase are all core. For goodness sake the thing comes off as more of a media device than a gaming console, admittedly all consoles seem to be heading down this path. Did you ever explain how GTA: LCS was core but NSMB was not?

Back on track, i have a few educated guesses as to why the DS is outselling the PSP but no concrete, absolute reason. The PSP though, is no more core than the DS, i don't see how you could even imply such a thing. It has no larger amount of core games than the DS that sell more.

How technical is your game?

Super Mario Bros does not meet any terms I listed there, for me. It's a silly debate. I guess the main reason for me is that the game is simply too easy, and with such little involvement mechanic wise jump move.. there really isnt any enjoyment or excitement for me.

The reason the DS outsells the PSP is almost 100% because of casual games. it is selling for brain age, cooking help, and language books for adult women, and its selling for children to play horsez and other mini games.

does not in any way mean that it has less core games than the PSP, it most certainly does have MORE.

does not in any way mean that all psp sales are core sales, though percentage wise more of them are.

the psp sells as a pirating device.

digitalentourage said:
Super Mario Bros does not meet any terms I listed there, for me. It's a silly debate. I guess the main reason for me is that the game is simply too easy, and with such little involvement mechanic wise jump move.. there really isnt any enjoyment or excitement for me.

Super Mario Brothers certainly takes skill, time, and effort.  The emotional component you said may not fit, but Castlevania doesn't either.  You say SMB is easy and Castlevania is not?  Again, I disagree, they take the same skill.  And, if you count Super Mario Galaxy, That takes more skill to get all the stars than any skill it's taken me on Castlevania.  And even beyond that, SMB: The Lost Levels is harder than any Castlevania game I've played.

Around the Network

Or maybe it'll never surpass the DS because it has a 50 000 000 sale lead and that lead widens every week by a lot.

Wii/PC/DS Lite/PSP-2000 owner, shameless Nintendo and AMD fanboy.

My comp, as shown to the right (click for fullsize pic)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
Video Card: XFX 1 GB Radeon HD 5870
Memory: 8 GB A-Data DDR3-1600
Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
Primary Storage: OCZ Vertex 120 GB
Case: Cooler Master HAF-932
Extra Storage: WD Caviar Black 640 GB,
WD Caviar Black 750 GB, WD Caviar Black 1 TB
Display: Triple ASUS 25.5" 1920x1200 monitors
Sound: HT Omega Striker 7.1 sound card,
Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers
Input: Logitech G5 mouse,
Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 keyboard
Wii Friend Code: 2772 8804 2626 5138 Steam: jefforange89

A large part of Nintendo's hand held systems success is and always will be the Pokemon franchise so if Sony wants to narrow the sales gap between Nintendo with their next hand held they need to come up with something similar to Pokemon.

Hawk said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Hawk said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Hawk said:
The DS may also be selling better because it has more, better games. The PSP is personally my favorite handheld I've ever had, but there are only a few games on it I like. I have 4x as many games on my DS. The PSP is the better handheld, but the DS has a better library of games.

It has a wider variety of quality games for various audiences. This is true. The PSP has plenty of quality games, but they are typically for the core playstation audience who already owned a PS2. You could technically call it a mini PS2.

So my having a PS2 should increase my interest in the PSP's library?

Technically yes. It is the PS2 spiritual successor today that has the games the PS2 should have or has with similar quality. I would have half a mind to sell my PS2 and just have a PSP right now for the quality of games that appeal to me rather than the PS2 as of late. Let me count the ways, shall I?

As I said....it is a PS2 successor that has more value in it right now than a PS2. With these up to date games, it is almost sad to not turn your back on a PS2 for a PSP with the current quality of support the PSP is getting.

Well, it all depends on the persons preferences in games I guess, but you certainly cannot say a blanket statement that PSP is for old PS2 owners.  I had more games on my PS2 than any other 6th Gen system, but still PSP has barely anything I want compared to DS.  On your list, only one of those games appeal to me.

The PSP is essentially a portable with similar power to the PS2. That was my list of games that interest me. There are far more quality games on the PSP though. If you like the DS, thats awesome, but it doesn't change the the fact that the quality of the games the PSP offers is remarkably similar to the PS2 before Sony cut off support of most first party titles and major third party.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

The PSP is essentially a portable with similar power to the PS2. That was my list of games that interest me. There are far more quality games on the PSP though. If you like the DS, thats awesome, but it doesn't change the the fact that the quality of the games the PSP offers is remarkably similar to the PS2 before Sony cut off support of most first party titles and major third party.

Quality?  That's pretty subjective.  More technically powerful, absolutely.  And like I said, the PSP is my favorite system itself.  But quality wise, I see both systems having quality games.  DS absolutely has more games I like and want to play though.  Still, I believe you saying PSP is for PS2 owners is going off your own personal tastes, as opposed to being a statement that can be applied to all PS2 owners.

digitalentourage said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
digitalentourage said:

There are exceptions of course, but generally speaking, no core games sell well on the wii or the ds.

You have no idea what makes a "core game" do you? 

I pity the teacher saddled with wading through the ignorance that will surely be found in your report.

I know exactly what makes a core game. and, teacher? I am an electrical engineer, I no longer go to school. This is a technical paper I am doing out of interest, it is nothing but numbers from tracker sites, I leave the opinion up to the viewer of the data.

out of the top 50 ds games, there are 5 non casual games.

There is so much fail in your "analysis" that it isn't even funny. Let me guess, is GTA a core game?

EDIT: I just saw your list of what makes a core game. Oh my, so laughable.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.