By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The reason the PSP will never surpass the DS

IxisNaugus said:
@ digitalentourage: I think you're ignoring the bigger picture. Your argument about the 'core', highly rated DS titles not selling well is pretty misinformed and the sales you posted aren't accurate. Why did you handpick a couple of games, most of which have actually sold very well, ignore countless others and then say games without Mario or Zelda in the name "simply do not sell"? What the hell?

You can say the majority of DS owners "do not own it for the core games", but the same could just as easily apply to the PSP. Why are you making it sound as if every last one of those who bought a PSP is a 'core gamer'? The PSP is also flooded with casuals. I'll also take this time to remind people that core games do under-perform on other consoles as well, it's not some Nintendo exclusive disease.

I just cant see 600k sales of one of the most popular video game franchises in history on possibly the most popular handheld and not make a comment on it.

The only point I wish to make is that in general, core games are not the reason the DS has such a large lead over the PSP.

that is the only thing I've been trying to say.

If that was the case, you'd have more than 400k sales on a platform with 100+ million installbase.

Around the Network
digitalentourage said:
mai said:
seece said:

Maybe I'm wrong for thinking thats your "opinion", but an explanation as to why Pokemon isn't core would be nice.

It's too kiddy, am I right Mr. digitalentourage? =)

I love kiddy games. Professor layton, pokemon, henry hatsworth and patapon are my favorite portable franchises.

I don't care what you love and what you don't. What I see... you have faulty understanding of term "core" (compared to my understanding at least), not gonna pretend that I do or that my understanding is better. That doesn't even matter. The simple rule in debates, if you labeled smth with uncertain word - define it! "Core gamer" isn't one of the terms that universally accepted. I've never referred to "core", so that' definitely not my job.

digitalentourage said:
mai said:
seece said:

Maybe I'm wrong for thinking thats your "opinion", but an explanation as to why Pokemon isn't core would be nice.

It's too kiddy, am I right Mr. digitalentourage? =)

I love kiddy games. Professor layton, pokemon, henry hatsworth and patapon are my favorite portable franchises.

I'm not trying to attack you or anything, but would appreciate if you answered our questions on what makes the games 'core' that you say are core and how that definition does not apply to other games you are dismissing.  So far you seem to be dodging the question.

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

The problem with the term "core" is that people pretty much change the definition of core to favor their arguments constantly. Some people would say Pokemon is core some people would argue that it's a childs game.

^^ do you know what, I agree people do that but with all good intentions, I really don't think anyone truly knows what "core" means

Around the Network

The other problem is a game can be casual and hardcore at the same time.

--OkeyDokey-- said:
Hannah Montana bundle with lilac PSP to the rescue!

I was going to say that or something very similar.

I suppose I'm in the same boat really. What I define as a game that is "core" is a game that requires a certain level of feedback from the gamer in order to succeed at. I'm talking about either skill, time, effort, or emotion. There can be core games of any genre, and certainly of any theme. a game that is core is designed and created to focus on those that take video gaming seriously, and wish to invest loads of time into completing. Examples of Core games for me in various genres would be

shooter: Half-Life 2, Killzone 2, Gears of War, Resistance, CoD(MW)
platformer: Henry Hatsworth, Prinny: can i really be the hero?, Castlevania, Ratchet and Clank.
wrpg: Fallout, Oblivion, The Witcher, Demon's Soul's(Japanese, but wRPG style.)
Action-Adventure: Monster Hunter, Ico/SoTC,
free roam: GTA, Infamous, prototype
rhythm: DJMax, o2Jam, DDR,
Strategy: Valkyria Chronicles, Advance wars, starcraft, warcraft.(final fantasy)
jrpg: SMT, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Shadow Hearts, Xeno(gears/saga)
racing: Gran Turismo, wipeout
Fighter: Street Fighter, Soul Calibur, BlazBlue, MvC.
Puzzle: Lumines, Henry hatsworth(kind of), Meteos.
horror: RE, Silent Hill, Siren.

It's hard to make a good definition, and I guess it changes based on the person. I suppose my argument is really useless to make because to someone mario might actually be a core game.

@Steroid : yeah, I said Pokemon was both on my post above, so I agree with you.

you mean it isnt because the ds has more than doubled the psp sales? wow, i must have read something wrong.