By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The reason the PSP will never surpass the DS

The PSP is essentially a portable with similar power to the PS2. That was my list of games that interest me. There are far more quality games on the PSP though. If you like the DS, thats awesome, but it doesn't change the the fact that the quality of the games the PSP offers is remarkably similar to the PS2 before Sony cut off support of most first party titles and major third party.
Do you mean more quality games than the PS2? Or the DS?

How technical is your game?

Around the Network
Phrancheyez said:
I'm late to this debate...

The reason the PSP will never catch the DS is because the DS has a 58 million unit lead.

That's why. There's nothing to debate.

Isn't that obvious? My question is to the appeal the causes such results. The Nintendo key note brought me up to date as to why.

It's pretty obvious the difference is due to casual games. There are hardcore games on both, but a lot more casual games on DS.

seece said:
^^ do you know what, I agree people do that but with all good intentions, I really don't think anyone truly knows what "core" means

Well, there is a difference between core gamers and core specific console fans. You already know about it I am sure. loyalists of Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, etc, are the core audience (or sometimes fanboys), which are the vocal strength backing their sales, then comes the moderates and majority of mainstreamers. Core gamers are defined by their love for gaming as a whole, and the type of attention they give to gaming as a whole. If Casuals do not support or even know about a quality core title, you can bet your ass the cores do. This site, is composed majorly of core gamers, because core gamers....quite frankly, give a damn about the future of gaming no matter whether they like all games or conform to one brand. :)

Hawk said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

The PSP is essentially a portable with similar power to the PS2. That was my list of games that interest me. There are far more quality games on the PSP though. If you like the DS, thats awesome, but it doesn't change the the fact that the quality of the games the PSP offers is remarkably similar to the PS2 before Sony cut off support of most first party titles and major third party.

Quality?  That's pretty subjective.  More technically powerful, absolutely.  And like I said, the PSP is my favorite system itself.  But quality wise, I see both systems having quality games.  DS absolutely has more games I like and want to play though.  Still, I believe you saying PSP is for PS2 owners is going off your own personal tastes, as opposed to being a statement that can be applied to all PS2 owners.

Yes, you could say quality is subjective; however, Sony has a certain style when games are made form them. These games tend to repeat the PS2 trend of the PSP. I understand that you might not like the PSP, but I cannot gauge your specific tastes. I understand that similarities in the PSP and the PS2 though. I am not saying PS2 owners should buy PSP's, but what I am really saying is,  the way Sony is marketing the PSP, by giving it so many quality games on par with the PS2, its hard to look back at the PS2 now.

Around the Network
Manu_Ginobili said:
It's pretty obvious the difference is due to casual games. There are hardcore games on both, but a lot more casual games on DS.

It's not just that....its market segmentation and the quality of that service to whomever is key. Nintendo obviously seems to understand this as they've created a lifestyle in gaming for all age groups. The Wii and the DS are almost bordering on a lifestyle.

Well if you look at Meta, there are 19 games that got 86+ on DS, vs 16 games on PSP. So on the hardcore side, it's a stalemate.

The difference is more likely due to the DS having more casual games.

Why do you think they are making the PSP Go look like a bootlegg T-Mobile Sidekick?

Sony wants to get the girls. Girls love sidekicks. They text at rapid speed with those things, some without looking...........

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

SaviorX said:
Why do you think they are making the PSP Go look like a bootlegg T-Mobile Sidekick?

Sony wants to get the girls. Girls love sidekicks. They text at rapid speed with those things, some without looking...........

....and does the PSP GO text?

S.T.A.G.E. said:
SaviorX said:

....and does the PSP GO text?

Nope, just the aesthetic is selling it, just like the PSP/Hannah Montana bundle.......

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."