By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The reason the PSP will never surpass the DS

digitalentourage said:
I think that the DS, along with the wii, are in a land of their own, they are not so much Video Game platforms anymore as they are straight up electronic toys. They are surely still fantastic devices, and do offer a rich gaming experience, I just think it's overshadowed by the other.

I highly disagree with you on that.  The Wii and the DS are the only Video Game Platforms anymore.  They are the only system focused purely on gaming.  The PSP and HD consoles are drifting towards being more multi-media systems.

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

Around the Network

@Hawk : then which games did you play on PS2 ? Hannah Montana ? No GTA, no MGS, no GOW, no ratchet, no gran turismo, no monster hunter... xD

Words Of Wisdom said:
digitalentourage said:

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=5165&region=All is the highest selling portable core game.

No, this is:  http://vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=1582&region=All

You still have no idea what "core" means.

Super Mario Bros DS is not a core game, it's a transition game, like halo.
A fantastic game, I've played a hell of a lot of it, but it's most certainly not a core game. Mario has always been a transition game that appeals to all audiences. Castlevania is a core platformer, mario is a casual platformer.

digitalentourage said:

I think people are getting the wrong idea out of my post.. i'll make some small post here to try and explain better.

If you're a parent, buying your 6 year old daughter a game console, what do you get? Wii and DS.
When hes 10, what do you get XB360. wii.

I would assume half of the people who own a ds are under 15.
25% around 8-14.
(Western world)

why? price, brand recognition, saturatio of shovelware.

PSP GTA:China town wars..? I'm not too sure, its too kiddy in its graphics to appeal to most GTA fans, but maybe.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=5165&region=All is the highest selling portable core game.

EDIT: That is fine, I gamed when I was that age too, but let me tell you this, I never thought of which console to get based on the quality of the core games it had, even though I only played core games.. my parents just bought what was advertised more i guess.

Its very sad you think a game has to be gritty and mature to be classed as core, you think just because Pokemon is cartoon that it isn't a core game?

Words Of Wisdom said:
digitalentourage said:

No, this is:  http://vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=1582&region=All

You still have no idea what "core" means.

Yeah, digitalentourage, what is it that you think defines GTA: Liberty City Stories as core?  And how does that definition not apply to NSMB?

Around the Network
Hawk said:
digitalentourage said:
I think that the DS, along with the wii, are in a land of their own, they are not so much Video Game platforms anymore as they are straight up electronic toys. They are surely still fantastic devices, and do offer a rich gaming experience, I just think it's overshadowed by the other.

I highly disagree with you on that.  The Wii and the DS are the only Video Game Platforms anymore.  They are the only system focused purely on gaming.  The PSP and HD consoles are drifting towards being more multi-media systems.

if you think brain age, wii fit, wii sports and wii music count as gaming, you're horrible incorrect.

Also, wii vitality.

lets not forget my cooking coach.

seece said:
digitalentourage said:

I think people are getting the wrong idea out of my post.. i'll make some small post here to try and explain better.

If you're a parent, buying your 6 year old daughter a game console, what do you get? Wii and DS.
When hes 10, what do you get XB360. wii.

I would assume half of the people who own a ds are under 15.
25% around 8-14.
(Western world)

why? price, brand recognition, saturatio of shovelware.

PSP GTA:China town wars..? I'm not too sure, its too kiddy in its graphics to appeal to most GTA fans, but maybe.

EDIT: That is fine, I gamed when I was that age too, but let me tell you this, I never thought of which console to get based on the quality of the core games it had, even though I only played core games.. my parents just bought what was advertised more i guess.

Its very sad you think a game has to be gritty and mature to be classed as core, you think just because Pokemon is cartoon that it isn't a core game?

I never gave off that opinion, since when was elite beat agents, castlevania, professor layton and advance wars gritty? read back, I never made that opinion. I only used GTA because someone asked how GTA:CW would work on the PSP.

EDIT: I actually highly dislike GTA, have never purchased one and never will. The only PSP games I have are

Patapon 1/2
Locoroco 1/2
WipEout Pure
FFT:War of the Lions
Jane D'arc

MGS: Portable Ops
DJ Max: Fever

Prinny: can I really be the hero

disgaea 1

Final Fantasy 1&2 remakes

Castlevania remake

Yggdra Union
Resistance: Retribution

Star Ocean 1st/2nd depature

Tony_Parker said:
@Hawk : then which games did you play on PS2 ? Hannah Montana ? No GTA, no MGS, no GOW, no ratchet, no gran turismo, no monster hunter... xD

RPGs and FPSs are the two genres I most play.  DS has more RPGs I care for and FPS games I do not enjoy on portable game systems.

digitalentourage said:

Some people never learn, they just prefer stereotypes to knowledge.

@S.T.A.G.E.

About your "core playstation audience"... you, maybe, on to smth here, but still Hawk disproves your hypothesis with it's own experience (mine PS2 library > PSP library as well btw). And you never know does he (and me) represent a majority of PSP owners or just a minority? There're really nothing to argue about. We DO have info on DS userbase (from Nintendo surveys), and to the best of my knowledge we DO NOT have any detailed info on PSP user base (John Koller once said that PSP user base is 40% teens... that's all we know, and I don't even know  how accurate this number). So we're able to explain why DS is over PSP... have been said millions times, nothing complicated - wider userbase (female, older gamers etc.). But speaking about PSP userbase in comparison to DS... just assumptions. To upgrade to the level of theories rather than assumptions we need competently made survey based on significant sample number. For now these talks just attract trolls and... uh, well, idiots to the thread. Really, thread exhausted itself.

The DS appeals to a younger audience as well as older, my two little cousins just want to play Pokemon and Megaman.
I know there are some Megaman games for PSP but I didn't find them that good. They own a Wii too, but that is partially my fault lol.
They saw how cool it was when I bought one so they got one.