Forums - Gaming Discussion - The reason the PSP will never surpass the DS

Nintendo is for:
-nintendo fans
-kids
-women
-old people

Which category are you in?

Around the Network

@non-gravity : as long as you included nintendo fans in the list, it looks certainly true :oP

You could say the same thing of Sony / MS consoles though ^^

Tony_Parker said:
@mai : 'you're wrong' is not an answer, please tell us more, give us the reasons you think he's wrong, he made a long explanation after all, even using numbers

...Every hardcore gamer I know prefers the PSP over the DS

I've said enough already. Read above, you obviously didn't even bothered to read my posts if you still make such assumptions (bolded). It's looks like flaimbait, not gonna to participate, sorry. Maybe, next time.

Hawk said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Hawk said:
The DS may also be selling better because it has more, better games. The PSP is personally my favorite handheld I've ever had, but there are only a few games on it I like. I have 4x as many games on my DS. The PSP is the better handheld, but the DS has a better library of games.

It has a wider variety of quality games for various audiences. This is true. The PSP has plenty of quality games, but they are typically for the core playstation audience who already owned a PS2. You could technically call it a mini PS2.

So my having a PS2 should increase my interest in the PSP's library?

Technically yes. It is the PS2 spiritual successor today that has the games the PS2 should have or has with similar quality. I would have half a mind to sell my PS2 and just have a PSP right now for the quality of games that appeal to me rather than the PS2 as of late. Let me count the ways, shall I?

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII

Resistance: Retribution

GT PSP

Star Ocean: Second Evolution

Tekken 6

Soul Calibur IV: Broken Destiny

God of War: Chains of Olympus

Tekken: Dark Resurrection

Mega Man: Maverick Hunter X

Daxter

Killzone: Liberation

Rachet & Clank: Size Matters

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

Monster Hunter: Freedom Unite

As I said....it is a PS2 successor that has more value in it right now than a PS2. With these up to date games, it is almost sad to not turn your back on a PS2 for a PSP with the current quality of support the PSP is getting.

digitalentourage said:

I hope I did okay?

I think you should make a thread to discuss your views.  I believe you would benefit from discussing them a bit more, but this probably isn't the thread to do it in.

Around the Network
Maynard_Tool said:
Or Or... maybe, just maybe.... the DS's library is so huge, and incredible, that easily surpasses the psp one... therefore, more people enjoy playing the DS more than the psp.

And also, the DS has more variety in it's library = more people buying it.

That is part of my point. A system itself is just glorified tech.  The Wii and DS have a similarity in why they are selling so much. Not so much the Wii in its variety, but in casual games. The DS is more about variety than the Wii.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Hawk said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Hawk said:
The DS may also be selling better because it has more, better games. The PSP is personally my favorite handheld I've ever had, but there are only a few games on it I like. I have 4x as many games on my DS. The PSP is the better handheld, but the DS has a better library of games.

It has a wider variety of quality games for various audiences. This is true. The PSP has plenty of quality games, but they are typically for the core playstation audience who already owned a PS2. You could technically call it a mini PS2.

So my having a PS2 should increase my interest in the PSP's library?

Technically yes. It is the PS2 spiritual successor today that has the games the PS2 should have or has with similar quality. I would have half a mind to sell my PS2 and just have a PSP right now for the quality of games that appeal to me rather than the PS2 as of late. Let me count the ways, shall I?

As I said....it is a PS2 successor that has more value in it right now than a PS2. With these up to date games, it is almost sad to not turn your back on a PS2 for a PSP with the current quality of support the PSP is getting.

Well, it all depends on the persons preferences in games I guess, but you certainly cannot say a blanket statement that PSP is for old PS2 owners.  I had more games on my PS2 than any other 6th Gen system, but still PSP has barely anything I want compared to DS.  On your list, only one of those games appeal to me.

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

I think people are getting the wrong idea out of my post.. i'll make some small post here to try and explain better.

If you're a parent, buying your 6 year old daughter a game console, what do you get? Wii and DS.
When hes 10, what do you get XB360. wii.

I would assume half of the people who own a ds are under 15.
25% around 8-14.
(Western world)

why? price, brand recognition, saturatio of shovelware.

PSP GTA:China town wars..? I'm not too sure, its too kiddy in its graphics to appeal to most GTA fans, but maybe.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=5165&region=All is the highest selling portable core game.

EDIT: That is fine, I gamed when I was that age too, but let me tell you this, I never thought of which console to get based on the quality of the core games it had, even though I only played core games.. my parents just bought what was advertised more i guess.

Mostly agree

^click the license to level it up! Please, and thanks in advance!

=D

digitalentourage said:

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=5165&region=All is the highest selling portable core game.

No, this is:  http://vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=4030&region=All

You still have no idea what "core" means.

(Edit:  Changed to reflect "portable" and not "ds")