By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - "PS3 going to finish in a distant third place" says analyst

July 6, 2009 - Wedbush Morgan's Michael Pachter sent out a massive 201-page report recently and it was only a matter of time before another analyst would speak his mind about the state of the console wars. The main point that Sebastian Kramer from market research firm NTH* addressed was the comeback of Sony's PlayStation 3 which currently trails behind Microsoft's Xbox 360 by eight million units.

"The PS3 needs nothing short of a miracle in order to catch up and Microsoft will do everything they can to beat Sony. The 360 is currently doing exceptionally well for a console in its fourth year and it doesn't show any signs of slowing down any time soon. All things considered, I believe that the PS3 is going to finish in a distant third place this generation."

He's got a point, recent GfK data reveiled that the 360 has been outselling even the Wii by 2:1 in the United Kingdom during the last five months. But still, couldn't Sony turn fortunes around by launching a PS3 Slim and dropping the price? "Systems like the PS1 and PS2 reached mass market acceptance long before a Slim version was introduced, a hardware revision is not going to change anything in the big picture. A potential price cut can be easily countered by Microsoft who are already overachieving with their 360 anyway."

"Blu-Ray, as Pachter suggested, isn't going to have an impact in the long run either. Standalone players are already cheaper than the PS3, so this early advantage of Sony is gone. What you should really look at are the games.", Kramer continued. "Software sells hardware and I think that's where Sony really dropped the ball this generation."

Indeed, only one game published by SCEA has passed the one million mark in sales so far, according to NPD. "Our own research has also shown that 360 exclusives sell more on average than PS3 games, even when you leave out blockbusters like Halo 3 and Gears of War. Sony's last hopes rest entirely on Gran Turismo 5, but it's already questionable how well it will be received by critics and gamers alike, because Turn 10's Forza 3 is the definitive racing game of this generation."

What about the upcoming motion controllers? Which one has more potential, Natal or Sony's wand? "Microsoft really did a great job at generating buzz for Natal, even my mom was interested and asked me when it's going to be released. Sony is facing an uphill battle and they are better off focusing on profitability rather than market share from now on."

What do you think, dear readers? Is Sony done for and the PS3 destined to finish in last? Leave your comments in the space below.

*NTH (Now that's hardcore) is a fictive market research firm that collects its data primarily from internet message boards.

I am glad to see that not every analyst has lost his mind and thinks like Pachter.

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Around the Network

This just in more FUD being spread by Sony haters!

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=79077

Steroid said:
This just in more FUD being spread by Sony haters!

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=79077

Considering how wrong some analysts have been this generation it wouldn't be surprising if a fictional research firm's predictions end up being more on the mark than the real thing.

Why do people keep giving this guy so much press?

When you go to sleep do you imagine thousands of different threads against Sony to make yourself feel better? I come out of one thread where someone was questioning the xbox 360s sales and you didn't like it so you had to make this thread didn't you

Around the Network

Finally, a correct analyst. Too bad he was playing Captain Obvious here.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

I wouldn't count Sony out just yet.

Besides, this article fails to take into account that at any time MS might decide to run a TV AD showing 360 users vomitting on there consoles!  

Personally, I think Sony has a chance to make a comeback with the PS3, but I'm giving them less than 50-50 odds due to their current financial situation, i.e. - they don't have a lot of cash to burn on deep discounts, R & D, etc.

The PS3 is DOOOOOOOMED!!!!!!!!

I do have to say this article holds much more value than one of Patcher's, I mean the way he gushes over the 360 makes that obvious.

Also why are they talking about Forza 3 as the definitive racing game this gen when it isnt even out yet?

gebx said:

July 6, 2009 - Wedbush Morgan's Michael Pachter sent out a massive 201-page report recently and it was only a matter of time before another analyst would speak his mind about the state of the console wars. The main point that Sebastian Kramer from market research firm NTH* addressed was the comeback of Sony's PlayStation 3 which currently trails behind Microsoft's Xbox 360 by eight million units.

"The PS3 needs nothing short of a miracle in order to catch up and Microsoft will do everything they can to beat Sony. The 360 is currently doing exceptionally well for a console in its fourth year and it doesn't show any signs of slowing down any time soon. All things considered, I believe that the PS3 is going to finish in a distant third place this generation."

He's got a point, recent GfK data reveiled that the 360 has been outselling even the Wii by 2:1 in the United Kingdom during the last five months. But still, couldn't Sony turn fortunes around by launching a PS3 Slim and dropping the price? "Systems like the PS1 and PS2 reached mass market acceptance long before a Slim version was introduced, a hardware revision is not going to change anything in the big picture. A potential price cut can be easily countered by Microsoft who are already overachieving with their 360 anyway."

"Blu-Ray, as Pachter suggested, isn't going to have an impact in the long run either. Standalone players are already cheaper than the PS3, so this early advantage of Sony is gone. What you should really look at are the games.", Kramer continued. "Software sells hardware and I think that's where Sony really dropped the ball this generation."

Indeed, only one game published by SCEA has passed the one million mark in sales so far, according to NPD. "Our own research has also shown that 360 exclusives sell more on average than PS3 games, even when you leave out blockbusters like Halo 3 and Gears of War. Sony's last hopes rest entirely on Gran Turismo 5, but it's already questionable how well it will be received by critics and gamers alike, because Turn 10's Forza 3 is the definitive racing game of this generation."

What about the upcoming motion controllers? Which one has more potential, Natal or Sony's wand? "Microsoft really did a great job at generating buzz for Natal, even my mom was interested and asked me when it's going to be released. Sony is facing an uphill battle and they are better off focusing on profitability rather than market share from now on."

What do you think, dear readers? Is Sony done for and the PS3 destined to finish in last? Leave your comments in the space below.

*NTH (Now that's hardcore) is a fictive market research firm that collects its data primarily from internet message boards.

I am glad to see that not every analyst has lost his mind and thinks like Pachter.

Bolded: Hater bullshit

Red: WTF??? Now are the kids analysts?