By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will Epic make a game for the Wii?

Well, on one side i can understand the game developers and publishers. They invested most of their money and knowledge in x360 and PS3, and out of nowhere came this white box with remote which started outselling the fancy blueray player and portable heater. Only few publishers supported the white box, and that faith returned them very positive financial reports for that part of the year.

After starting shock, devs and publishers have calmed down, reassuring themselves that the white box will die in the next few months, so they ignorantly continued to put their effort into competition. And of course make sure to subtly (or not so subtly) put down the white box in every intreview.

But, lots of time has passed, and the white box still floats above other two. While some devs and publishers have accepted the situation and switched to white box, or atleast port their ps2 titles on it, the others still believe in it's downfall, and are more and more pissed every day because the thing just refuses to die.

It's a bit late to start learning coding and adjusting for the new machine. And that is amplified with the fact that nobody really knows what will happen with it in 2 years(it wasn't supposed to live at all). So, they ultimately get the idea that they might put some showelware on it, but it would require lots advertsiment to sell.

So, why wouldn't Nintendo spend their money and advertize these titles instead of 3rd parties? Afterall, 3rd parties are doing them a big favour by putting showelware and B-grade ports on the white box. White box defies the laws of logic. You put crap in and get money out. Machine from heaven. The thing that will fund their future projects. The only problem is: why does it rejects to work lately?

Around the Network
GranTurismo said:
I just watched the video, all i have to say is LOL at the wii. He Says its last gen and crap. I love Epic even more now.

So basically PS2 is crap as well, considering the fact its last gen, but hey... it sells! So who gives a sh*t! I'm not entirely fond of what's going on with the WII but the fact is that the stupid fad (as you all fanboys like to call it) sells and that's all what matters in this business. 

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

Look at what is being released on the wii, others feel the same way they just wont say it.

Epic is just putting themselves down. Do their games look good due solely to the processing power they harness, or due to their talents to utilize that power? I'm guessing the latter, as another graphical-pushing developer had an embarrassing 7th gen debut. If Epic made a Wii game, they would make it look good because they have the talent to get great graphics out of the system.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Ubisoft over epic games? HAHAHAHAHAHA

mM
Around the Network

I'm sorry but apart from the Unreal engine and Unreal Tournament, I find it incredibly big headed for Epic to think so much of themselves. They've done pretty much nothing for console gaming, and as a new contender in the field they shouldn't be showing so much arrogance. And yes, I'm ready to hear all about Gears of War!

Apart from Unreal Tournament and Gears of War, tell me ONE thing that stands Epic out as a quality developer. Sorry but I played Quake 3 years ago, if the same gameplay is just going to clog up my PC in the form of UT3 you can pass thank you very much.  

I'd take any developer over Epic anyday.

My only comment to this thread is: "This is the Nintendo forum. Go away trolls." And if you have no idea who I am paraphrasing, you haven't been here long enough. Thread's still fine by me though.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.

I don't have any stats to back this up, but it seems Epic invests in graphics, horsepower and comprehensive online multiplayer games. The Wii has none of those attributes.

Well Mark Rein does have a point, if you don't believe 3rd parties are just fighting for scraps take a look at the Gamecube, 9 of the top 10 best selling games on that system were from Nintendo (numbers 1-9 on the list no less and Nintendo also takes spots 11 and 12). Now compare that to the PS2 where 8 of the to 10 were third party and the Xbox where 6 of the top 10 were third party. Now looking at the Wii there's 2 third party in the top 8 but it is very obvious that they'll soon be pushed off the list by Nintendo's own games (SMG, SSBB, Mario Kart).

Legend11 said:
Well Mark Rein does have a point, if you don't believe 3rd parties are just fighting for scraps take a look at the Gamecube, 9 of the top 10 best selling games on that system were from Nintendo (numbers 1-9 on the list no less and Nintendo also takes spots 11 and 12). Now compare that to the PS2 where 8 of the to 10 were third party and the Xbox where 6 of the top 10 were third party. Now looking at the Wii there's 2 third party in the top 8 but it is very obvious that they'll soon be pushed off the list by Nintendo's own games (SMG, SSBB, Mario Kart).

You got that way off. Third parties didn't put their hit games on the GC, save for Capcom and Factor 5. That's why they didn't sell. You think if GTA III had been on the GC, it wouldn't have been a hit?* It may not have sold as many copies in the first few months, since the GC would have just launched, but it would have certainly been a multi-million seller.

The GC's problem wasn't Nintendo selling better games. It was the system itself offering almost nothing compelling over the PS2 or Xbox.

Also, Nintendo has stated that they are not going to push Wii development as much after the first year, so that 3rd-parties can catch up. They did that with the DS, and most of the upcoming DS games are third party, even though most of the top sellers are by Nintendo. They evidently realize they can get more than scraps. Rein is just giving excuses for not trying.

*And nobody try that crap about it not working on the GC. The game is only 500-700MB, less than half a GC disc. Even Vice City is 1.2-1.5GB, just enough to fit on a GC disc (even if it had to compress the audio more).

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs