By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Who is Sony's Mascot in Your Opinion

This gen: Sackboy.

Overall: Ratchet I suppose.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network
pavementangel said:
how the fuck could solid snake be sony's mascot? that's konami.

sony and microsoft don't have mascots. it's plain facts and evidence

MS = Master Chief...

OT - PS3 has no mascot this gen, closest things to a mascot would be a Sackboy or Drake

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

TheYearOfPS3
BluRay tan
NoPriceCut tan
OnlyOnPS3 tan
KazHirai tan though i doubt anyone could make him into sexy loli so...

@CGI-Quality: If you do a huge list of characters, that just proves the point that none of them stands above the others enough to be a mascot.

Sony doesn't need a mascot as others have said, and they don't have one. The closest thing in terms of mass recognition would be Gran Turismo, but that's not a character so it doesn't really work as a mascot.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

CGI-Quality said:
NJ5 said:
@CGI-Quality: If you do a huge list of characters, that just proves the point that none of them stands above the others enough to be a mascot.

Sony doesn't need a mascot as others have said, and they don't have one. The closest thing in terms of mass recognition would be Gran Turismo, but that's not a character so it doesn't really work as a mascot.

A mascot can be anything that represents the said company, which ALL I listed do. Therefore, they have plenty of mascots, every company has them. This should be common knowledge.

I guess we just have different standards for what a mascot is. For me a mascot is something which is so closely linked to a company that you almost automatically think of one after the other. Having many equally powered "mascots" completely negates that idea.

For example, when people think of Nintendo they think of Mario, and when they think of Mario they think of Nintendo. This is true for a very high proportion of the public, even people who never play games. Sony doesn't have anything like that even among gamers, let alone the mass public.

mascot: a person or animal that is adopted by a team or other group as a symbolic figure 
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

My list contains symbolic figures which are what mascots are.

Did Sony ever adopt any of those figures as the symbol for SCE? I don't think so.

Around the Network

@CGI-Quality: It's only pointless when you completely ignore what a mascot stands for... Sure, we can abandon the debate.

@CGI-Quality: I don't want my opinion to become a fact, on the other hand I expect people to use the existing definition of what a mascot is, and not one tailored to just support whatever argument one can think of.

Make sure to tell me when Sony adopts one of their characters as extensively as Nintendo uses Mario. Actually you won't have to tell me because at that moment it should become obvious to everyone.

Examples of Nintendo using Mario (and Mario only) as their symbol:

https://club.nintendo.com/
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/index.html

NJ5 said:
CGI-Quality said:
NJ5 said:

A mascot can be anything that represents the said company, which ALL I listed do. Therefore, they have plenty of mascots, every company has them. This should be common knowledge.

I guess we just have different standards for what a mascot is. For me a mascot is something which is so closely linked to a company that you almost automatically think of one after the other. Having many equally powered "mascots" completely negates that idea.

For example, when people think of Nintendo they think of Mario, and when they think of Mario they think of Nintendo. This is true for a very high proportion of the public, even people who never play games. Sony doesn't have anything like that even among gamers, let alone the mass public.

mascot: a person or animal that is adopted by a team or other group as a symbolic figure 
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

My list contains symbolic figures which are what mascots are.

Did Sony ever adopt any of those figures as the symbol for SCE? I don't think so.

I quite agree with you on this point.

Instead of mascots, we can say Sony had fetish or totem recognizable brandnames through the years, let's name a few:

Trinitron CRT

Walkman

PSOne

PS2

Vaio

Bravia

BD

IMVHO, even more than Apple, that strictly integrates, blends, harmonizes its HW with its SW into its own design, Sony gives more importance as recognizable and desirable items to its HW.

So we could say that if eventually it will have more success, PS3 will become the totem of itself.

But this happens to Wii too, that needs to rely on Mario much less than previous Nintendo products, Wii brand supports itself stronger than anything else.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK BOYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

CGI-Quality said:
NJ5 said:

@CGI-Quality: I don't want my opinion to become a fact, on the other hand I expect people to use the existing definition of what a mascot is, and not one tailored to just support whatever argument one can think of.

Make sure to tell me when Sony adopts one of their characters as extensively as Nintendo uses Mario. Actually you won't have to tell me because at that moment it should become obvious to everyone.

Examples of Nintendo using Mario (and Mario only) as their symbol:

https://club.nintendo.com/
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/index.html

So, by your standards, Sony has no mascots because they don't promote them as often or widespread as Nintendo...? Hmmm....o...k...

No... By my standard, none of Sony's characters are their mascot because they haven't adopted them as their symbol (or SCE's symbol, or PS's symbol). That requirement was in the definition you posted (and all of the definitions of "mascot" that I've seen).

As I said there's something that many people associate with the Playstation brand, and that's the Gran Turismo franchise... however, a franchise does not make a mascot as it's not a character.