By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Who is Sony's Mascot in Your Opinion

Sackboy is the best mascot they can have, they are trying to make him a mascot, so much DLC.

LBP is a very underrated game when it comes to sales.. still though 2.2 million isnt bad.

mM
Around the Network

Sackboy or Nathan Drake. Personally i would pick Kratos but he is to brutal.

CGI-Quality said:
NJ5 said:
CGI-Quality said:
NJ5 said:

@CGI-Quality: I don't want my opinion to become a fact, on the other hand I expect people to use the existing definition of what a mascot is, and not one tailored to just support whatever argument one can think of.

Make sure to tell me when Sony adopts one of their characters as extensively as Nintendo uses Mario. Actually you won't have to tell me because at that moment it should become obvious to everyone.

Examples of Nintendo using Mario (and Mario only) as their symbol:

https://club.nintendo.com/
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/index.html

So, by your standards, Sony has no mascots because they don't promote them as often or widespread as Nintendo...? Hmmm....o...k...

No... By my standard, none of Sony's characters are their mascot because they haven't adopted them as their symbol (or SCE's symbol, or PS's symbol). That requirement was in the definition you posted (and all of the definitions of "mascot" that I've seen).

As I said there's something that many people associate with the Playstation brand, and that's the Gran Turismo franchise... however, a franchise does not make a mascot as it's not a character.

So, the fact that people have already mentioned Sackboy countless times means nothing to you eh? People didn't say "LittleBIGPlanet", they said Sackboy. Now tell me, does he not classify as a mascot by any means? He WAS promoted, he WAS represented. No, he's not Mario or Master Chief, but he is a known Playstation character who was quite promoted as a symbol of the brand, which once again, was the OP's initial question.

What more do you need?

key words highlighted...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed how quick he was dropped by Sony.

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

IMO Sony doesnt have a mascot cause they just provide a variety of games and hardly market one more than the other. Its either none or all.

@Gebx

In fact your are the only one that noticed.. because he was never dropped by sony.. LBP continues to be advertised this date all over PSN, and DLC continues to roll on in promoting original Playstation characters in sackboy form.

mM
Around the Network
leo-j said:
@Gebx

In fact your are the only one that noticed.. because he was never dropped by sony.. LBP continues to be advertised this date all over PSN, and DLC continues to roll on in promoting original Playstation characters in sackboy form.

Sony's has to find a way to recoup all those advertising dollars spent on sackboy.. right?

CGI-Quality said:

So, the fact that people have already mentioned Sackboy countless times means nothing to you eh? People didn't say "LittleBIGPlanet", they said Sackboy. Now tell me, does he not classify as a mascot by any means? He WAS promoted, he WAS represented. No, he's not Mario or Master Chief, but he is a known Playstation character who was quite promoted as a symbol of the brand, which once again, was the OP's initial question.

What more do you need?

What I would need to accept Sackboy as Sony's mascot would be a continued and wide use of Sackboy in Sony's / Playstations's promotion materials, even when LBP games aren't involved.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

CGI-Quality said:
gebx said:
CGI-Quality said:
NJ5 said:
CGI-Quality said:
NJ5 said:

@CGI-Quality: I don't want my opinion to become a fact, on the other hand I expect people to use the existing definition of what a mascot is, and not one tailored to just support whatever argument one can think of.

Make sure to tell me when Sony adopts one of their characters as extensively as Nintendo uses Mario. Actually you won't have to tell me because at that moment it should become obvious to everyone.

So, by your standards, Sony has no mascots because they don't promote them as often or widespread as Nintendo...? Hmmm....o...k...

No... By my standard, none of Sony's characters are their mascot because they haven't adopted them as their symbol (or SCE's symbol, or PS's symbol). That requirement was in the definition you posted (and all of the definitions of "mascot" that I've seen).

As I said there's something that many people associate with the Playstation brand, and that's the Gran Turismo franchise... however, a franchise does not make a mascot as it's not a character.

What more do you need?

key words highlighted...

Really? I don't follow. There's a LBP PSP game coming and he was just shown off at E3 as a representation to one of their new slogans, along with ModNation Racers. Either you're joking or trolling....

Dude, your the one who stated that sackboy "was"....

I didn't change your words, call it a "freudian slip" if you want. If you believed that he's still promoted by Sony than you would have stated "he's promoted, he's represented".

lol, you even CAPLOCKED "WAS".

gebx said:
CGI-Quality said:
NJ5 said:
CGI-Quality said:
NJ5 said:

What more do you need?

key words highlighted...

Although I don't consider Sackboy strong enough to become the official mascot (yet, in future it may become stronger, who knows), he's still quite strong here in Italy: at its launch LBP bundle was the cheapest way to get a PS3 here, but now LBP + (MirrorE OR Fifa09) bundles, together with the ones with Vasco Rossi's concert on BD + Singstar are amongst the most expensive, resellers can ask 50€ more than for other bundles. Sales aren't good for any console, it's so hot that who hasn't to study or work is at the sea or anywhere else outdoors and playing videogame is the last of theirs thoughts, but Sackboy is in the front line to represent PS3.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

I don't think there are any that obviously come to mind in the way that Mario, the Master Chief or even Crash in the PS1 era do. Sackboy could become that mascot but it is early days for him.