By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the PS3 ever have a game of 10 million in sales or more?

axumblade said:
Sardauk said:
AE86 said:

GT5 will almost certainly do it.

I'm not sure... because Gran Turismo 4 didn't / barely did (9.xx millions).

But the install base of the PS2 is/was something else than the PS3 one...

Main reason I might disagree is because there was more than 1 Gran Turismo on the PS2.

Again, not saying the new GT will hit 10 million but the fact there was an earlier Gran Turismo in the PS2 gen could have hindered GT4's sales a little.

Good point.

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

Around the Network

Do we really need a millionth thread over this? GT5 is the only game that has a chance. And there's a strong possibility that even that wont.

I find it hilarious that the people who make threads like this have 360 avatars and want to keep fanboyism out of it lol.

CatFangs806 said:
I haven't heard anything about an exclusive game from them lately. If that's the case, then a 70's GTA would be massive. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I didn't know they had that planned.

Either you're kidding, or you're teasing him. If the first, don't be so mean! If the second, yes I know Agent isn't a "70's GTA", but you know full well what he meant.

GT5 could do it. It's not overly likely, but it's not unlikely, and all but one of the full GT games have sold 10 million (yes, GT4 has, I can give you a link if you like, it's sold 10.5 million at least), and all of the first GT games on the console have sold that much- GT3 nearly sold a whopping 15 million, but that was bundled, so it doesn't count

Agent has a shot. A very small shot. A really tiny shot. I'm talking 0.1%. If Sony markets this as a must own game and if it is marketed as being a successor to GTA and if it is nothing short of one of the best games ever created, it has a small chance at 10 million. Otherwise, no way. 3 million is all but guaranteed, I would say 4 million is pretty likely and 5 million is a possibility. 6 million is unlikely, 7 million is very unlikely, 8 million is really unlikely, 9 million is EXTREMELY unlikely, and 10 million is pretty much impossible.

When was the last time a (non-casual) new IP sold 10 million units? I believe it was Gran Turismo, which launched back in 1998? There was The Sims in 2000, but that had massive appeal. And it was a PC game.

The original GTA sold 2.32 million, while GTA3 sold 11.60 million. I suppose that basically sold as a new IP, since hardly anybody who owned GTA3 would have owned GTA2.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Not yet, but in two years, with a larger install base, and a massive name released...

The question would be "which name can move that much?"

That's one of the strength of the playstation, so many "must have" that you can't have them all.
See the "who's sony's mascot thread", there are so many...

They will know Helgan belongs to Helghasts

CGI-Quality said:
IMO, Gran Turismo 5 can do it. Outside of that, not sure ATM.

What about Heavy Rain?

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network

No announced PS3 game will. (Not even GT5)
(>'.')>

God of War 3 will eventually sell 10 million

^ Hahahaha...

hop along, cassidy

Gran Turismo 5 will do it pretty easily. Do people forget that GT3 sold 14.7 million and launched on an install base of 11.7 million and it was actually under 10 million when it launched 3 months earlier in Japan. GT3 is more relevant to GT5 than GT4 is since they were both the first GT game on the console.