By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is Wii's Bubble Bursting? --First Japan, now UK

General Motors would be glad to be doomed like Wii
Anyhow, I hope they cut price.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

Well Wii Music didn't sell over 3m units so it's automatically crap as we all know games are only as good as their sales.

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
Well Wii Music didn't sell over 3m units so it's automatically crap as we all know games are only as good as their sales.

You're right about the sales relative to peoples perception. But, i wouldn't personally put the crap tag to sales level on the range of 3M.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

TruckOSaurus said:

This is true, and it's why Valkyria Chronicles sucks.

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

bdbdbd said:
TruckOSaurus said:

You're right about the sales relative to peoples perception. But, i wouldn't personally put the crap tag to sales level on the range of 3M.

Well you have to also factor in how much you personally want a game to fail when setting the sales threshold for crappiness.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

Well Personally, i think that Wii needs a pricecut in Japan and Uk, that is to say, the regions where it is underperforming. But pricecut only in UK, is impossible they have to cut the price in the rest of Europe too. So for the moment only in Japan a pricecut is needed.

In any cases Wii sold so wonderfully until now, that a loss of momentum is'nt worrying. Sales stay great. It isn't a drama to not be number one everywhere.

@Tonio: We'll have to see what the future software will do, since Nintendo will look what effect the future games will have, before making decisions about pricecuts.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Sure, but I think that in Japan if they want to improve sales the only solution is a pricecut, or a bunch of coregames.

Holy shit.

The 360 outsold the Wii in the UK? The PS3 tied with it?

Are you sure that isn't a typo or something?

Yeah, that is pretty worrying. Though it seems to have regained its slim lead in Japan.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

@Tonio: I'm not sure about the core games. I would rather say big named core games with steady stream. The lack of new audience games, is something i see being a bigger problem. If you look at DS, Nintendo put a number of new audience games to it, that lit up the charts, that led the 3rd parties to the platform. I see the bigger problem, however, being that even the japanese devs focus on western market, instead of Japan, and therefore the games on all platforms doesn't appeal to their domestic market.

On a side note, on home consoles side, Nintendo haven't ever performed exceptionally well in Japan.

Kantor said:
Holy shit.

The 360 outsold the Wii in the UK? The PS3 tied with it?

Are you sure that isn't a typo or something?

Yeah, that is pretty worrying. Though it seems to have regained its slim lead in Japan.

The HD consoles are around 30% cheaper in UK that they are in rest of the EU, so importing isn't that rare. And Wii price increase propably hurt it a bit.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.