By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Reggie: Wii won't meet holiday demand

Reggie: Wii won't meet holiday demand

Nintendo of America exec says supply constraints of console will continue until after the holiday season.
By Tom Magrino, GameSpot
Posted Oct 1, 2007 2:14 pm PT

As yet unbeaten in the console sales charts since it debuted in the US last November, Nintendo's Wii has consistently outsold its competitors by healthy margins. However, far from reaching its saturation point, the Mario Factory has yet to meet demand for its console. According to Nintendo of America president and CEO Reggie Fils-Amie, that situation isn't going to change as the already-booming gaming industry heads into its busiest time of the year.

In an interview with the San Jose Mercury News, Fils-Amie unabashedly admitted that Nintendo isn't meeting the demand for its console. "We have been sold out worldwide since we launched," he boasted. "Every time we put more into the marketplace, we sell more, which says that we are not even close to understanding where the threshold is between supply and demand...Our inventory is lasting a day."

Not mincing words, the outspoken exec said that a lot of children will be left wanting this holiday season. "We're working very hard to make sure that consumers are satisfied this holiday, but I can't guarantee that we're going to meet demand," he said. "As a matter of fact, I can tell you on the record we won't."

As for why, Fils-Amie noted that it is a game of economics that it is hampering supply, not the console maker's ability to produce. "The issue is we went in with a curve that was aggressive, but the demand has been substantially more than that. And the ability to ramp up production and to sustain it is not a switch that you flick on," he explained.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6180167.html?action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;0

This isn't good its now hampering my decision buying a Wii now. Are Wii's avaliable now in stores?

Around the Network

Why would it hamper your decision w29?

Wiis are available in some stores, it really depends where you live. In Washington and Oregon for instance I see them a bit at larger retail stores like WalMart and Target but never in Malls or at Gamestops.

I think the Wii will probably sell out this Christmas but that's probably part of Nintendo's plan, the difficulty if finding one makes a quick purchase that much easier.

They are sparsely available in NA. You can get one if you show up on shipment day.

If you're gonna get one though, get it BEFORE NOVEMBER, or all will be lost.

super_etecoon said:
Why would it hamper your decision w29?

Cause I want one. I don't want to save $250 and to find out that Wii's are not avaliable in stores. That would make me really mad and not cara for the Wii. I'm just hoping that there are some. I should have a Wii in mid-October.

Around the Network

You should not have a problem finding a Wii...besides, what does this matter for your decision? I highly suggest you go for the Wii...and I mean, if you really can't find a Wii for a month or something, you could always just get a DS for now.

But I see Wiis every Sunday...that's the common shipment date.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Ok, if it has almost the same architecture as the Gamecube, why is it so hard to make enough?

There, I said it.

Dolla Dolla said:
They are sparsely available in NA. You can get one if you show up on shipment day.

If you're gonna get one though, get it BEFORE NOVEMBER, or all will be lost.

You see and thats what I'm going to do. I was just curious if some were avaliable right now in stores. I haven't been to a game store since Halo 3 launch. Thats the only game I cared about at the time. I didn't pay any attention to the Wii line-up. Now it looks amazing to my eyes, seriously looking into investing in one of those.

^^ why not buy now?

MontanaHatchet said:
Ok, if it has almost the same architecture as the Gamecube, why is it so hard to make enough?

There, I said it.

What Wii's? The reason its demand is so high compared to the 360 and PS3 that Nintendo can't keep up. They didn't know it was going to be collected up and sell like hotcakes.