By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Reggie: Wii won't meet holiday demand

I think they would bundle or do a color change before they did a price drop. I wouldn't expect a real price drop until next holiday....maybe black friday.

Around the Network

<-- Stocking up massively. Thank you, job at Gamestop.

Wii + Craigslist/eBay = $$$$$$$$$ 

Currently playing: Civ 6

I think they'll meet it around February... temporarily at least. Around Feb-March a lot of people arn't going to have the money to be throwing down on systems thanks to X-mas, (Kids X-mas money likely spent in January).

Whether or not come June or July demand picks up again... who knows.

W29 said:
rendo said:
Been telling people for months now. You want a Wii for Christmas, get it now. Come November, GOOD LUCK FINDING ONE.

I will find one, if not. Well DS will be bought instead of the Wii. The shortage of the Wii is starting to feel like having a RRoD on a 360

This holiday 2007:

Wii -> Super Mario Galaxy , Super Smash Bros. Brawl , Nights , Resident Evil : Umbrella Chronicles , Medal of Honor Heroes 2

DS -> Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass , ???

DS seems to be having its poorest holiday period yet. 

HappySqurriel said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Ok, if it has almost the same architecture as the Gamecube, why is it so hard to make enough?

There, I said it.

How many systems per month did the Gamecube sell? Do you think that it is particularly easy to handle the logistics of producing several million pieces of complicated hardware in a given month? Nintendo is not Sony, they don't have factories lying; Nintendo isn't Microsoft and don't have unlimited money to aquire manufacturing capabilities.

Ninty seems to be making enough pocket-money lately I think...

Around the Network

"We have been sold out worldwide since we launched,"

Is reggie stupid or just another blind fanboy :P Someone should tell him that the system is not sold out worldwide, the only place that is sold out is some parts of NA and some parts of Japan. The Halo3 sales will allow the 360 to outsell the wii and once those sales die down the Holiday sales will kick in and the 360 will outsell the wii until Jan/08 atleast.

Nintendo is just trying to hype its machine because sales are down across the board, lets hold off on shipping untill we sell out and create more hype for the wii. That way we can keep the price of our system high forever.

^^ Wii Hardware 90k+ Yeah, definitely down across the board. It's just toned down in Japan folks, but so is DS! Wii isn't going anywhere!

routsounmanman said:
^^ Wii Hardware 90k+ Yeah, definitely down across the board. It's just toned down in Japan folks, but so is DS! Wii isn't going anywhere!

Routsounmanman, I am LOVING your Derek Stiles Trauma Center avatar! That game is HOT! Makes me almost wanna become a doctor!*

*Comment may be influenced by hyperbole 

John Lucas 

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

No problem finding Wiis in Germany. Definitely only sales talk. Not sold out here anymore since some months.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

MontanaHatchet said:
Ok, if it has almost the same architecture as the Gamecube, why is it so hard to make enough?

There, I said it.

because:

1) the "architecture" (ie, in this case, the CPU and the GPU) are only a small part of the whole package. The Wii contains many different components and a shortage of any one of them results in a shortage of Wiis. Scaling them all up in sync is a difficult task and if one of them lags behind, then you can't build the Wiis

2) doesn't matter how old the architecture is, ramping up production doesn't get any easier. It's cheaper to build each one, but it's just as difficult and time consuming to increase production by 50% on a cheap chip as an expensive chip.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!