By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Worst RPG storyline ever

_RKO_ said:
Final Fantasy III was pretty bad.

For DS? Or FFIII for SNES which was actually FFVI for SNES in Japan and FFVI for PS1 (rereleased here)?

Around the Network
Cactus said:
zexen_lowe said:
Cactus said:
zexen_lowe said:
Dragon Quest VIII, dunno if that consists of story or it's just a "mash-up" of fetch quests, but anyone would expect a high-profile RPG to have at least something similar to a story

Dragon Quest games are more about character interaction and little mini-narratives within the main game. Each game pretty much has the same overarching storyline (Hero must defeat Demon Lord).

But the character interaction and mini-narratives was horribly cliched too. I mean, how many times have we seen the girl who wants to see the world? The womanizer who's good at heart? The interaction was badly done, the characters are terribly uninspiring. Let alone the villain (probably the worst ever in RPG history). Not a good excuse for a story

How far have you gotten in the game? Those two characters may seem like that when you first get them, but they are definitely not as one-dimentional and generic as you make them out to be. Taking advantage of the Party Talk feature is a good way to further the development of the characters, and goes hand in hand with their story development.

Also, you learn about 1/3 through the game that Dhoulmagus is not the main villain.

Damnit, man, I dunno, been a long time and it's not a memory I'd exactly like to recall. Of course I didn't finish it, but I don't remember where I left. And I knew Dhoulmagus is not the main villain, that doesn't excuse him for being disastrous in his role. I mean, Luca Blight (now you know who I'm talking about ) is not the main villain of Suikoden II yet he's memorable.

And trust me, I used the party talk, that didn't mitigate my desire to strangle King Trode everytime he opened its mouth, or Angelo, or Jessica.

Though I admit, the lack of originality of Akira Toriyama didn't help in my perception of "cliche characters", I mean, I couldn't look at any single character without thinking it had been ripped of Dragon Ball (an anime I despise)

Grandia 3

Enchanted Arms

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

Oblivion iv and wow. Two games that I couldn`t care less what happens story-wise.
The freedom is the appealing factor with these games.

Around the Network

infinite undiscovered though it may just be such a horrid translation.... and the voice acting was just so bad.... i could not play any RPG for ages after trying to enjoy that game

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

_RKO_ said:
MonstaMack said:
Damn is Star Ocean that bad?
My wife loves WRPGs (and of course Oblivion) so she went to go play Tales of Vesperia, but Star Ocean is next on her list. She's gonna cringe to hear my fellow VGCharters detest the SO4 story. Hopefully the combat is still good.

SO4 was fine (a lot of people hate it because its only on 360)

SO3 is the bad one.

I don't think that's true for at least those who have mentioned it here. I mean, you don't often hear many people go around hating on ToV (even before the multiplatform announcement).

It was just a dreadful game with some of the worst dialogue and characters that I can remember in a RPG.

star ocean 4 was not that bad. It was not great but not bad either. Lymle is the thing that drives most people insane. Its the character choice that really drives people insane. With sarah, lymle and meracle i about lost it. The story itself is not that bad at all. It has some good moments actually.

Owner of all consoles cept DS.....Currently in love with prototype!

Grandia 3

Fable

Vote to Localize — SEGA and Konami Polls

Vote Today To Help Get A Konami & SEGA Game Localized.This Will Only Work If Lots Of People Vote.

Click on the Image to Head to the Voting Page (A vote for Yakuza is a vote to save gaming)

Quest 64, anyone?

"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."