By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What would a Final Fantasy 7 remake sell?

volrath50 said:
Ajax said:
People on the internet on gaming sites are the gamers, the real gamers,
guys who play a game once a week before going to the club, you won't find them on GameFAQs and on VGChartz and IGN Boards and stuff.
So who cares what they think. Most of those people can't even tell how many bits a N64 is. lol

Cause, you know, "bits" are the single most important factor in determining the speed, power, success, and overall playability of a console. Hence why there was little difference in the power between the GameBoy Advance and the original Xbox: both were 32 bit. Also why the 64 bit graphics of Goldeneye blew Halo 2 out of the water.

Your comment is completely irrelevant because it doesn't have anything to do with what I said, and you know it.
I talked about basic knowledge we all have, but many people who play games don't.

So saying a GameFAQs or IGN users poll doesn't say anything because it represents a minority is nonsense because it is THIS minority who's got more knowledge and more playing-hours than all those others.

But somehow you seem not to understand this.

It's like saying the opinion of proffesional drivers about cars is not more knowledgeable than casual drivers, cause they are a minority.
If that would be true, then proffesionalism wouldn't matter in any subject but it does, doesn't it?

''Hadouken!''

Around the Network
Ajax said:
volrath50 said:
Ajax said:
People on the internet on gaming sites are the gamers, the real gamers,
guys who play a game once a week before going to the club, you won't find them on GameFAQs and on VGChartz and IGN Boards and stuff.
So who cares what they think. Most of those people can't even tell how many bits a N64 is. lol

Cause, you know, "bits" are the single most important factor in determining the speed, power, success, and overall playability of a console. Hence why there was little difference in the power between the GameBoy Advance and the original Xbox: both were 32 bit. Also why the 64 bit graphics of Goldeneye blew Halo 2 out of the water.

Your comment is completely irrelevant because it doesn't have anything to do with what I said, and you know it.
I talked about basic knowledge we all have, but many people who play games don't.

So saying a GameFAQs or IGN users poll doesn't say anything because it represents a minority is nonsense because it is THIS minority who's got more knowledge and more playing-hours than all those others.

But somehow you seem not to understand this.

It's like saying the opinion of proffesional drivers about cars is not more knowledgeable than casual drivers, cause they are a minority.
If that would be true, then proffesionalism wouldn't matter in any subject but it does, doesn't it?

Point 1: I was pointing out that you picked an absolutly irrelevant piece of technical knowledge. While the N64 was marketed as 64 bit, the whole "bit" crap does nothing for gaming. Period. I could ask you what the speed of the 3DO's CD drive is, what the clock speed of the SNES's CPU was, etc. (All of which are more relevant to gaming than "bits") So basically, you tried to show your superiority by attempting to create a strawman to laugh at, but failed on two accounts: technical knowledge is largely irrelevant to enjoying a game, and the bit of technical knowledge you chose was extra irrelevant, showing you just have marketing fed to you.

Point 2: Whether they spend more time gaming or not is ultimately irrelevant to sales, except in the way that a "hardcore" gamer is more likely to buy more games. Either way, you expect to be catered to because you care more about gaming, or some crap like that. Ultimately, what that does is make "hardcore" gamers a niche market, that does get games, but ultimately isn't the only one.

Point 3: I'm not sure if my second point is even relevant, I forget if you were actually implying that or not, it's just that sort of elitist mentality that bugs me. One of the bigger things I hate in World of Warcraft (which I played up until 6 months ago) is a subgroup of whiny "hardcore" players that expected Blizzard to cater to them, and throw the majority of players under a bus, simply because they played more and whatnot.

Point 4: I apologise if I've gotten horribly offtopic, and/or took my WoW annoyances out on you, but only if you weren't making the arguements that I think you were. I frankly can't even remember what this discussion was even about. At this point I'm just largely typing whatever falls out of my  brain.

Knowledge isn't exactly a "have or not have" prospect, anyway. One of the greatest killers of businesses is relying on the wrong knowledge, in fact. I think Christenson said it best in Innovator's Solution: what the business thinks it is selling the customer is rarely what the customer is buying.

Case in point: would you argue that somebody who is dedicated to the study of the technology and workings of cars would be able to accurately predict how well a car would sell to the masses? If so, why? There is almost zero correlation between what a car is capable of and how successful it is on the market. The most popular cars that sell the best are the ones that car aficionados tend to consider inferior to the more expensive (and more capable) alternatives. From their perspective, success should be based solely on the merits of the car's horsepower, handling, and so forth, not on how affordable it is for what it does, let alone how well it does jobs besides driving very quickly, having excellent handling, and so forth.

To sum it up: just because you know about something doesn't mean you understand anything about how or why it sells (or fails to sell). In fact, being overly knowledgeable can be a liability, as it often blinds one to the bigger picture of what job people hire goods and services to do for them.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

7 million i don't think the FFVII has the brand power that it once have imo, i'll wait for FFVIII remake:o

One its Final Fantasy 4/5 just based on its name.

7ish if it a truly great remake of a great game, wont surpass FF7 sales casue FF brand franchise power has severely decreased since its glory days.

Around the Network
gebx said:
SaviorX said:
gebx said:
??

FFVII on the PSN sold 100,000 in two weeks...

What makes anyone think that a remake would sell in the range of 5 million??

My guess, an actual remake (3d/HD and all) would only sell between 1 to 2 million LTD

This is a DOWNLOADABLE PS1 game you are talking about here. Most PS3/360 owners cannot even stomach PS2 graphics anymore, let alone PS1. And besides, the even on the Virtual Console few games have passed the 1m mark in downloads. Plus, FF7 is the highest selling Rpg of all-time isn't it? A new age remake for the kids could have a whole lot of pull if marketed correctly lol

hmmm... the original FF7 didn't sell cause of graphics...

But my original comment is misleading because I misread this entire thread, I was referring to FFVII sells if its on the PS3 only.

Would FFVII sell over 5 million on all three consoles? yeah, wouldn't be a problem

Yes it did... at least it was one of the reasons... it was a technical marvel when it was released ;)

I say if it would be released as a PS3 exclusive it would probably do at least 3 million, from what ~ 1 million would come from Japan alone ;) 5 million +... now I doubt that it could crack that number :|

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

What would have sold more FF13 or FF7 if it was in FF13 release slot.

7.77 Million

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

4 million on ps3 and 2 million on 360

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

A hell of a lot.