By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is it just me or does Super mario Bros Wii remind you of little big planet?

No, it remenbers me old Mario games, but with the possibility of playing with 4 player if you want.
I will finish 1 player first, then I ask someone to play with me

Around the Network

*sigh* did you really think you werent gonna piss people off with this thread?

OT, NSMBW reminds of LBP in two ways. 1:they'er platformers,
                                                                 2:they have four player co-op.

otherwise it just reminds me of an old mario game... but with four player co-op.

SJGohan3972 said:
arsenal009 said:
That's strange. I always figured every platformer out there including LBP copied mario & not vice versa.

To be fair Mario was not the first platformer... Space Panic holds that title (a few others dispute it but its safe to say its not a mario title).

Donkey Kong (the arcade game that introduced Jumpman (mario)) is arguably to first platformer to introduce jumping, and later mario bros had side scrolling (didn't introduce this but was the first to make it popular).

So to sum up, not every platformer is inspired from Mario - just any platformer with jumping and/or side scrolling leves :)

By the genre's very core definition, you HAVE to be able to jump in a platformer. So Space Panic isn't a proper platformer.

However, there's a game from 1978 ("Frogs") that has all the mechanics of a platformer - including jumping - and is older than Space Panic anyways.

SW-5120-1900-6153

LBP it's more complex.

so only if you take the basic of platforming co op.
other than that, power up and jumps.

sorta, but i think it will be better overall.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

Around the Network

People who have never played LittleBigPlanet will often say that the level editor is the most important part of the game. If you've taken the time to build a complete level yourself, you probably also played other levels enough to realize that the best feature by far in LBP is the ability to play a platformer multiplayer; the ability the slap and grab your friends, or actually help them right when they least expect it. I can't imagine playing LBP for hours on end in singleplayer. I've probably put in around 10-20 hours in singleplayer, and upwards of 100 hours in online and local multiplayer (you can do both at the same time).

So, if the gameplay of LBP has one defining characteristic, I would say it's the multiplayer modes the game offers, which are really unique amongst platformers.

But did Miyamoto see LBP, get a kick out of it, and decide he wanted to make a game that had similar multiplayer modes? I don't think anyone can claim to actually know the thought process that goes into Miyamoto's game design. That's like saying you know what God is thinking, isn't it?

But the original poster was asking whether we think the one game will remind us of the other.

I'll probably be playing it with the same friends who come over to play LBP. So they'll have that in common. Aside from that, there are a few features the games share (based on what we know about NSMB Wii so far):

1.) They're the only four player platformers ever created (other examples?)

2.) you can grab other players and mess them up

3.) You try to get through the level together, but you compete for points in a free-for-all with a winner at the end of each level

4.) the screen zooms out when players move to the far edges of the screen (the way fighting games have always done, but platformers never had a reason to until they tried to add multiplayer on one screen... did they?)

So in the end, NSMB Wii probably remind me just enough of LBP to make me really want to play it, with the added promise of classic mario level designs, power ups, art style, and the inimitable gameplay polish that Nintendo brings to their games.

What wonderful troll bait this thread is.

Seriously it is. Next thread can it be ""Is it me or does Mario Kart remind you of Motorstorm?""

Just about everybody who played New SMB on the DS tried the 2 player mode and thought "Damn, I wish I could play the whole game like this!" And now you can. It was a very obvious next step to make. I've wanted a co-op 2-D Mario for years.

And I have 4 player co-op platformers on the NES. The idea is 20 years old. They're just not Mario quality. I don't see what LBP has to do with any of this.

The Ghost of RubangB said:
Just about everybody who played New SMB on the DS tried the 2 player mode and thought "Damn, I wish I could play the whole game like this!" And now you can. It was a very obvious next step to make. I've wanted a co-op 2-D Mario for years.

And I have 4 player co-op platformers on the NES. The idea is 20 years old. They're just not Mario quality. I don't see what LBP has to do with any of this.

Not trying to dispute your claim or anything, but you could play 4-player on the NES? I had no idea.

The NES Four Score is an accessory for the Nintendo Entertainment System created by Nintendo. It allows four-player gameplay on certain games that supported it. The Four Score was released in 1990.

* Anticipation
* Bomberman II[1]
* Danny Sullivan's Indy Heat
* Gauntlet II
* Greg Norman's Golf Power
* Harlem Globetrotters
* Kings of the Beach
* Magic Johnson's Fast Break
* Monster Truck Rally
* M. U. L. E.
* NES Play Action Football
* A Nightmare on Elm Street