By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is it just me or does Super mario Bros Wii remind you of little big planet?

So it looks like the first developer to make a four-player platformer after almost twenty years was NinjaBee with Cloning Clyde.  

Kudos to them!

Rubang, have you actually played Cloning Clyde?  Because I really like the art style, but I'm torn between thinking it looks like a ton of fun and thinking it looks like a serious headache.  Apparently the co-op is always either online or splitscreen, so that makes it kind of different.  I think I might have to download this one tonight :)  

Anyway, now when someone says Nintendo is just ripping off Media Molecule, we can point out that Media Molecule just ripped off NinjaBee!  (Though really, LBP looks a lot more like Nightmare on Elm Street to me than it does Cloning Clyde, so maybe Nightmare's developer should get the credit...  And that developer is... hm... well what do you know?  Rare.)

But really, this shouldn't be about who gets the credit for first cramming four players into a platformer.  It should be about identifying possibly the most underrepresented genre of the past two decades.  For those who haven't played LBP or Nightmare, believe me -- once you stick enough people into a platformer, it becomes a totally different genre.

They should be called platformer party games, or something like that.  Two people together tend to cooperate.  Go up to three or four, and the chaos goes up exponentially.  All of the sudden instead of dying and starting over you're dying and waiting to come back to life while your friends continue onward (or stop to laugh at your crumpled remains).  Like one of those levels in a classic platformer where you have to race the camera to keep from being pushed off the screen, suddenly you're racing every member of the group, trying to balance the risk of speed jumping over a bunch of spikes versus taking your time and falling behind.  And if some frontrunner starts doing really well, and snagging all the coins -- that's when alliances start to form, death warrants start to get signed, and friendships get smacked aside into the nearest lava pit.  Seriously, I can't describe how awesome these games can be.

NSMB could be the surprise game of the Wii, the beginning of a series tradition, like mario kart, that starts to get a new version every generation afterward.  There are so many advantages to this type of game.  It can be as deep as a 2d mario, but beginner players can also get into it without being in direct competition.  If the levels are challenging and intricate enough it could double as a great single player game and a great party game.

Around the Network

Ooh, are we tearing the OP's argument to shreads? can I join in?

Paper mario has the first claim to a 2.5 D platformer (well, maybe not first, but certainly before LBP)

Sonic 2 is only 2 player co-op but still good

The lost Vikings 1 and 2 are both 3 player co-op, and are some of the most incredible gaems ever

Wow nintendo stole their own idea back from sony. *clap clap*

this game actually reminds me more of new super mario bros. DS. how strange...

I think it is definitely just you.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

Around the Network

LOL! That's funny u made this thread b/c I was going to make this exact thread last week but I changed my mind.

BoneArk said:
LOL! That's funny u made this thread b/c I was going to make this exact thread last week but I changed my mind.

Lol so you sold out and let someone else face the firing squad?  Not nice.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

@Alic004, no I haven't played Cloning Clyde yet, but now I really want to. I loved A Nightmare on Elm Street and New Super Mario Bros. Wii, so now I'm really pumped for Cloning Clyde and LittleBigPlanet. It definitely is its own genre. I actually have a video of 4 us playing New SMB Wii at E3, and I'm speedrunning and causing all 3 other players to die. Great stuff.

@scottie, how is Paper Mario 2.5D? I always thought that meant 3-D graphics in a 2-D game or 2-D graphics in a 3-D game? The former was done by Donkey Kong Country, and the latter was done by Super Mario Kart and Wolfenstein 3-D.

Is it just me, or does LBP remind you an awful lot of Mario games?

LBP (whether directly or indirectly) owes its existence to Mario, so a little bit of influence the other way seems pretty acceptable. I know Miyamoto's been desperate to give mario more living-room multiplayer appeal for a while now.

Wii code: 1534 8127 5081 0969

Brawl code: 1762-4131-9390

Member of the Pikmin Fan Club

The Ghost of RubangB said:
@Alic004, no I haven't played Cloning Clyde yet, but now I really want to. I loved A Nightmare on Elm Street and New Super Mario Bros. Wii, so now I'm really pumped for Cloning Clyde and LittleBigPlanet. It definitely is its own genre. I actually have a video of 4 us playing New SMB Wii at E3, and I'm speedrunning and causing all 3 other players to die. Great stuff.

@scottie, how is Paper Mario 2.5D? I always thought that meant 3-D graphics in a 2-D game or 2-D graphics in a 3-D game? The former was done by Donkey Kong Country, and the latter was done by Super Mario Kart and Wolfenstein 3-D.

Paper Mario is 2D graphics in a 3D game.

DKC and SMK are both completely 2D. DKC uses prerendered graphics to give it that look and SMK uses mode 7 like F-Zero to give the illusion of 3D.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"