By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 crawls above 100,000 WW. This is the end for Sony's PS3

CAL4M1TY said:
I see the youth development at the Sony defence force is doing well, given the reaction to OP's comments in this thread. "B-b-b-but the 360 is WAY cheaper and only outsells it a little".

Fact is, it is still outselling it, regardless of anything else (do you see a PS3 price cut anytime soon?).

Anyway, on topic. I don't agree with OP. The PS3 is getting outsold at the moment, yes, but the point of the PS3 now (imo) is to turn a profit even if it means coming in last place. The PS3 development of the CELL and Blu-ray's development (becoming a cheaper media storage) will mean the PS4 (hopefully) will be cheaper, making it a much more competitive console. Selling 100,000 worldwide a week is not impressive, but there's no signs that it'll dramatically plummet anytime soon (it'll probably increase with the games coming and the possible PS3 Slim).

I don't think many reasonable people would call the gamecube a massive failure, when it was a very financially successful console. I think the PS3 could do something like that, but I think (and it'll probably have to) obviously the PS3 will have much more impressive lifetime sales numbers.

Also, considering the growth in blu-ray penetration over the last year and a bit, I would hardly call it niche thing.

So in terms of being a failure in the competitive console market, looks likely at THIS CURRENT point in time. As for being a failure as a business product, we'll see, I'm going to say it won't be though, especially when you factor in what it's development will mean for future playstation consoles.

Although I suspect most ambitious MS executives like Ballmer aren't happy with what I highlighted in green (but I guess too that most pragmatic ones are more than happy with XB360 beating PS3), I quite agree with the rest of what you wrote.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
madcrazy said:

correct me if i'm wrong, but isnt the 360 300

entry priced XBOX 360 is $199

Entry priced PLAYSTATION 3 is $399

entry priced Nintendo Wii is $249

mM
CAL4M1TY said:
I see the youth development at the Sony defence force is doing well, given the reaction to OP's comments in this thread. "B-b-b-but the 360 is WAY cheaper and only outsells it a little".

Fact is, it is still outselling it, regardless of anything else (do you see a PS3 price cut anytime soon?).

Anyway, on topic. I don't agree with OP. The PS3 is getting outsold at the moment, yes, but the point of the PS3 now (imo) is to turn a profit even if it means coming in last place. The PS3 development of the CELL and Blu-ray's development (becoming a cheaper media storage) will mean the PS4 (hopefully) will be cheaper, making it a much more competitive console. Selling 100,000 worldwide a week is not impressive, but there's no signs that it'll dramatically plummet anytime soon (it'll probably increase with the games coming and the possible PS3 Slim).

I don't think many reasonable people would call the gamecube a massive failure, when it was a very financially successful console. I think the PS3 could do something like that, but I think (and it'll probably have to) obviously the PS3 will have much more impressive lifetime sales numbers.

Also, considering the growth in blu-ray penetration over the last year and a bit, I would hardly call it niche thing.

So in terms of being a failure in the competitive console market, looks likely at THIS CURRENT point in time. As for being a failure as a business product, we'll see, I'm going to say it won't be though, especially when you factor in what it's development will mean for future playstation consoles.

After a price cut!! Sony was selling  more then 360 intill a price cut happened for xbox.

For evey sony defence force memeber there is a xbox defence force and you sir are one of them.

Its ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE that the xbox with all its game stealing price cutting tactics can only out sell ps3 buy 15k. anyone who is anyone should be able to see that. That is what people are saying buy this. if ps3 is doing bad so is the xbox. If the ps3 was anywhere near xboxes price we would be in the same boat we was in before M$ cut the price and thats ps3 selling more.

OT: sales are slow but its always slow in the summer...every system is down that did NOT have a price cut..... so theres the proof that price cuts help and do wonders.

Yea this thread really shouldn't have been left open, obvious flamebait.