By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Muramasa: The Demon Blade RPGFan Import review - OUCH

theRepublic said:

Ngamer said, "Expect the depth of an RPG and you may be disappointed, but for latent ninjas this blisteringly quick and beautiful action title will be like manna from heaven." Judging from that quote, it is better to think of this as an action game instead of a RPG.

I think that criticism from Ngamer is fair.

ramuji
www.ramuji.com
Nintendo Network ID: ramuji
Wii Friend Code: 8543-1141-9403-8457
3DS Friend Code: 1633-4130-0140
PS3 ID: ramuji_69

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
theRepublic said:
The only other reviews I see are:

Edge Magazine UK - 6 out of 10
Ngamer UK- 89 out of 100

Seems like a wide range in the scores so far.

Ngamer said, "Expect the depth of an RPG and you may be disappointed, but for latent ninjas this blisteringly quick and beautiful action title will be like manna from heaven." Judging from that quote, it is better to think of this as an action game instead of a RPG.

Fitting, because Odin Sphere was more action than RPG anyway.

there are 2 modes in Muramasa, one being more RPG oriented, more focused on lvling and xp while the other is well, not as forgiving. the game is a little of both basically.

zexen_lowe said:
Khuutra said:
FreeTalkLive said:
The reviewer clearly doesn't like Wii games. It's a completely biased review. However, even he admitted the game is good for a short time - which means rental.

This about works.

Incidentally RPGFan is about the worst resource on the internet for RPG reviews. Go figure.

Ehm, wether this review is good or not (haven't played the game, so can't say), RPGFan is by far the best site for RPG reviews. Are you sure you're not confusing it with RPGamer?

What?!!!

dahuman said:
lol I can tell you that the person who reviewed this game sucks at the game or don't know Japanese well enough to grasp the combat system, otherwise known as pure fail because it's not 65% if you know what you are doing and I don't know why game play and control are seperate scores. I can tell you right now that the controls are responsive yet not forgiving because you have many many options from ground attacks, slide attacks, air combos to ground combos, and different attacks depending on the 2 sizes of the Katana, you also have to be smart about your swords on boss fights to rotate them correctly so you don't have to use too many items.

I agree with everything you say here, dahuman. Although, I've been playing on the easier (Muso) setting, which I think is probably a bit more forgiving on things like efficient rotation of swords. 

ramuji
www.ramuji.com
Nintendo Network ID: ramuji
Wii Friend Code: 8543-1141-9403-8457
3DS Friend Code: 1633-4130-0140
PS3 ID: ramuji_69

forest-spirit said:
theRepublic said:
The only other reviews I see are:

Edge Magazine UK - 6 out of 10
Ngamer UK- 89 out of 100

Seems like a wide range in the scores so far.

Duh!

Shouldn't Muramasa be seen primarly as an action platformer game with RPG elements? Or are people looking at the screens/gameplay videos and thinking "Reminds me of Final Fantasy"...

I think the problem is that everywhere that I see this game, the genre is listed as RPG.  I think people automatically assume certain things when they see that.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network
g-value said:
zexen_lowe said:
Khuutra said:
FreeTalkLive said:
The reviewer clearly doesn't like Wii games. It's a completely biased review. However, even he admitted the game is good for a short time - which means rental.

This about works.

Incidentally RPGFan is about the worst resource on the internet for RPG reviews. Go figure.

Ehm, wether this review is good or not (haven't played the game, so can't say), RPGFan is by far the best site for RPG reviews. Are you sure you're not confusing it with RPGamer?

What?!!!

Yes?

If Muramasa turned out to be a screen saver I would buy it anyway.

@theRepublic

That is true...

ramuji said:
dahuman said:
lol I can tell you that the person who reviewed this game sucks at the game or don't know Japanese well enough to grasp the combat system, otherwise known as pure fail because it's not 65% if you know what you are doing and I don't know why game play and control are seperate scores. I can tell you right now that the controls are responsive yet not forgiving because you have many many options from ground attacks, slide attacks, air combos to ground combos, and different attacks depending on the 2 sizes of the Katana, you also have to be smart about your swords on boss fights to rotate them correctly so you don't have to use too many items.

I agree with everything you say here, dahuman. Although, I've been playing on the easier (Muso) setting, which I think is probably a bit more forgiving on things like efficient rotation of swords. 

I started with the easier too lol, the other mode messes with your HP in horrid ways if you are not careful =X, though still fun.

zexen_lowe said:
g-value said:
zexen_lowe said:
Khuutra said:
FreeTalkLive said:

This about works.

What?!!!

Yes?

No?

I wouldn't expect an RPG fan to like the game, since it's obviously more about action and reflexes than it is about grinding and menu navigation.

Seems like people want to classify every game with a storyline as an RPG these days.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.