By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Team Ico series has overtaken Zelda as greatest adventure series!! By MM.2.

Khuutra said:

I'm not choosing a side. You could divide me into two people, one who argues for Team ICO and one who argues for the Zelda games, and it would be like World War III, only with just two people.

Yes, Shadow of the Colossus and ICO are that good.

Amen brother.

<embed src="http://card.mygamercard.net/gears2goty/omar7700.swf" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="198" height="135">
</embed>

Around the Network

One thing I believe about this argument that hasn't been said.

I believe that if the ICO and SotC games weren't related to the Playstation brand, nobody would be making this argument.

That's not to say that everyone who does make the argument is a Playstation fanboy.

Instead, exclusive games for any console are always more highly touted.

Especially when they aren't tremendously popular.

On the contrary, hugely popular games are almost always backlashed against and hated. Even Zelda, to an extent, has an anti-fanbase. The Tom Green show, before it because famous, was very highly touted by the same critics who flamed it once it hit MTV.

That is a major reason SotC and ICO are bigtime. They are seen as less popular, not mainstream, and more "hip" games. This is augmented by the fact that the games are very dependent upon how they are interrupted by the user. People often see in the games what isn't actually there.

The team ICO games are also visually awe inspiring. However, I look down on games like SotC and Killzone 2, which base a large amount of their appeal on their visual acuity, instead of their narrative. If those games are only 90 on metacritic with such amazing graphics...what would be their quality if those games were on the DS? Could they maintain their atmosphere without technical prowess?

Also, the "Team ICO" games are not a series. They are two completely unrelated games, besides the developer.

Is the Portal series better than Zelda? It's not a damn series, so no.

Finally, ALL of Zelda's fame comes from its ability to maintain quality and longevity when other series fall to monotony. You CAN'T know if a series is as good as Zelda, until it has at least 3 games. Hell, it isn' even a series yet, for that matter. 3 games make a series.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

@Zenfoldor:

That's asinine and willfully, truly, unbelievably fallacious. Wow. I have trouble believing this.

You're telling me that because the appeal of the games apparently went over your head, that all there is to them is their "cult" status (Shadow is believed to have hit 1.5 million worldwide) and their visual distinctiveness? Really?

No.

Here, let me quote Tycho from Penny Arcade. He talks a bit about Silent Hill 2, but it's the Shadow stuff that bears reading.

Jerry Holkins said:
I have been emotionally ravaged by a total of two games: the first is Silent Hill 2. I've been to enough conventions and talked to enough people about it that I know I am not alone in this. There are many ways to interface psychologically with the game, but if you are a sentimental husband with a young, beautiful wife, the game is precisely calibrated to annihilate you.

The second game is Shadow of the Colossus.

The dread starts at the very beginning, simmering in your gut, and it never gets better ever - hour upon hour. You know immediately that you are engaged in something like evil, if not evil itself, but our appetites as players demand that we seek objectives and conquer them - and the game scourges us for this dereliction of conscience. The technology at work often obscured the game itself, but the emotional wavelength has resounded years after the fact. At this late hour, I can recall no camera foibles or performance valleys. All I can recall now is the black bargain, and concentric waves of anguish.

The experiences they create are groundbreaking, incredible. They arrive on some alien schedule, like comets, governed by whimsy or an inconceivably complicated schema which is indistinguishable from randomness. The end result is that we are given the opportunity to ache for them: two teams are not toiling in parallel to ensure that each holiday deposits an appropriate manifestation in this industry's pagan observance of the Winter Solstice. It is actually possible to miss their work, to long for it.

Even when you know how it ends.
The man is much more eloquent than I am.

ZenfoldorVGI said:

I believe that if the ICO and SotC games weren't related to the Playstation brand, nobody would be making this argument.

That's not to say that everyone who does make the argument is a Playstation fanboy.

On the contrary, hugely popular games are almost always backlashed against and hated. Even Zelda, to an extent, has an anti-fanbase. The Tom Green show, before it because famous, was very highly touted by the same critics who flamed it once it hit MTV.

That is a major reason SotC and ICO are bigtime. They are seen as less popular, not mainstream, and more "hip" games. This is augmented by the fact that the games are very dependent upon how they are interrupted by the user. People often see in the games what isn't actually there.

The team ICO games are also visually awe inspiring. However, I look down on games like SotC and Killzone 2, which base a large amount of their appeal on their visual acuity, instead of their narrative. If those games are only 90 on metacritic with such amazing graphics...what would be their quality if those games were on the DS? Could they maintain their atmosphere without technical prowess?

Also, the "Team ICO" games are not a series. They are two completely unrelated games, besides the developer.

Finally, ALL of Zelda's fame comes from its ability to maintain quality and longevity when other series fall to monotony. You CAN'T know if a series is as good as Zelda, until it has at least 3 games. Hell, it isn' even a series yet, for that matter. 3 games make a series.

Oh come on Zen, that's a ridiculous argument.  How can you count being exclusives against SotC and Ico when the same is true of Zelda?  And Zelda's popularity counts against it?  Don't you think that it's popularity also gives it a leg up? 

And Ico and SotC weren't respected solely as as technical masterpieces, but also have a wonderful visual style. Don't Zelda games usually have some of the best visuals for whatever platform they're on?  That's like counting SMG's visuals against it.

Lastly, they most definitely are related by more than their developer.  They are both in the same mythological world and SotC is a prequel for Ico.  I am certain that the third game will somehow relate in this timeline as well. 

Khuutra said:
@Zenfoldor:

That's asinine and willfully, truly, unbelievably fallacious. Wow. I have trouble believing this.

You're telling me that because the appeal of the games apparently went over your head, that all there is to them is their "cult" status (Shadow is believed to have hit 1.5 million worldwide) and their visual distinctiveness? Really?

No.

Here, let me quote Tycho from Penny Arcade. He talks a bit about Silent Hill 2, but it's the Shadow stuff that bears reading.
Jerry Holkins said:
I have been emotionally ravaged by a total of two games: the first is Silent Hill 2. I've been to enough conventions and talked to enough people about it that I know I am not alone in this. There are many ways to interface psychologically with the game, but if you are a sentimental husband with a young, beautiful wife, the game is precisely calibrated to annihilate you.

The second game is Shadow of the Colossus.

The dread starts at the very beginning, simmering in your gut, and it never gets better ever - hour upon hour. You know immediately that you are engaged in something like evil, if not evil itself, but our appetites as players demand that we seek objectives and conquer them - and the game scourges us for this dereliction of conscience. The technology at work often obscured the game itself, but the emotional wavelength has resounded years after the fact. At this late hour, I can recall no camera foibles or performance valleys. All I can recall now is the black bargain, and concentric waves of anguish.

The experiences they create are groundbreaking, incredible. They arrive on some alien schedule, like comets, governed by whimsy or an inconceivably complicated schema which is indistinguishable from randomness. The end result is that we are given the opportunity to ache for them: two teams are not toiling in parallel to ensure that each holiday deposits an appropriate manifestation in this industry's pagan observance of the Winter Solstice. It is actually possible to miss their work, to long for it.

Even when you know how it ends.
The man is much more eloquent than I am.

A couple of thinks Khuutra.

A. I asked you very politely NOT to argue with me, and indeed not to speak with me again. We don't get along. I asked you in a PM, so we could keep it private. Yet here you are, unable to prevent yourself from passive-agressively flaming me, by telling me that I'm just too dense to understand your artsy game. Whatever you said, doesn't matter. That is what you implied.

B. I'm  not always honest with people on these forums. Newsflash. In fact, I've read that little crappy Penny Arcade article you've posted as well. In fact, I understand very well ALL of the arguments for the game, and I respect it as a fairly good game. However great the content of the atmosphere, however, the narrative is unarguably nonexistant. Also, I'm not a very emotional guy. I think that SotC is "just a game" and while you might imagine that it is a legendary masterwork of art, as a game, I found it lacking.

In fact, I've sorta assisted Rocketpig write an article on this game, and those two opposing viewpoints(if i recall, ask him).

IN FACT, I just replayed the game.

Never claim that something "went over someones head" if for no other reason, it is unnecessarily offensive, and you shouldn't be unnecessarily offensive, should you? If something I wrote made you feel a certain way, just accept it. Sometimes it is by design, sometimes not. You can't control my opinions or my post. You can only control yours.

That said, in this case, what I've written here, I believe. I know that you believe opinions should be based on fact alone, and I've told you I disagree. I've told you that words like "valid" and "educated" are descriptives and not requirements. I don't care if you think giving an opinion based on feelings is unfair. I have every right to give it.

Finally, PLEASE don't respond to this with one of your "Wrong" pics, or some dodge post claiming that you can't believe what I wrote, or questioning my seriousness(and please refrain from using he phrase "really?" if at all possible)....in fact, it's best not to respond to this at all. I've learned that when arguing with you, your entire goal is to somehow trick me into getting myself banned, and I'm not gonna let you this time. I control my fate on this forum, not you.

Have a chill pill, check your hypertension, and leave me be sir.

As for your questions, Shadow certainly enjoys a cult status, obviously, and a huge overzealous fanbase amongst Sony fans. Also, the games visual distinctiveness is very much responsible for its "atmosphere" which is what that "feeling of evil" you are talking about is attributed to. Were it a DS game, somehow I doubt that sense of dread would have been as visceral. In fact, it would probably be just another actioneer with a gimmick. I give the game an 8/10. It lacks a narrative, unfortunately, and while you can read into it all your heart desires(as is obvious from its fans), you can also choose to ignore the artsy part of it, and judge it as a game. Just like Zelda, a much better game, with a worse, what, story?

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network
ZenfoldorVGI said:

A few things:

• Generalisations cannot be applied here. This game(s) is not only revered among fans of Playstation, but among many people. The industry as a whole hold Ueda's team in exaltion.

• Not all cult hits are overrated among their fanbases. I would think this to be obvious and not in need of any support.

• Tom Green does, indeed, suck.

• I would say the two fanbases are very similar, only one is more sizable than the other. I'm not sure we can fairly draw any conclusions about perceived quality based on that alone.

• I'm not entirely convinced that SotC isn't incredibly popular. It's cleared a million copies, has been featured (quite often) in a major hollywood movie, and has been noted as one of only two masterpeices of art by creatice genious in Guillermo del Toro. Disgaea, yes. SotC, no. Hell, it's even getting it's own movie... yes I know, several, realtively unknown games have gotten one as well, but this will likely not be directed by Uwe Boll *shudders*

• Given that what you say undoubtedly applies to many cult games, you haven't provided any evidence that it pertains to this specific game. Unless you mean that it would apply to every cult (or indie) game/movie/band? That would be absurd.

I'm not sure how that even matters. Could LoTR have had the same atmosphere and scale if it were done 40 years ago? Sure, it could have been done well, but it can certainly be better done today. It depends on the type of game, and SoTC is grand in scale.

Being solely dependent on visuals and making great use of them are entirely two different things. SotC makes such wonderful use of the hardware to create a unique atmosphere that probably couldn't have been captured on the DS. 

Finally, the "Team ICO" games are not a series. They are two completely unrelated games, besides the developer.

This has been pointed out already, but they are related. They share a common world, according to the game's director.

See above.

I agree with you here. Zelda has proven it's longevity, although I'm not sure about applying an arbitrary number as to what constitutes as a series. I'm quite sure a series of two installments is referred to as a duology(?). Even if Team Ico's series have yet to stand the test of time, we don't lambast it as blashphemous to compare but rather just say - Wait, we'll see in time.

pearljammer said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

A few things:

• Generalisations cannot be applied here. This game(s) is not only revered among fans of Playstation, but among many people. The industry as a whole hold Ueda's team in exaltion.

• Not all cult hits are overrated among their fanbases. I would think this to be obvious and not in need of any support.

• I would say the two fanbases are very similar, only one is more sizable than the other. I'm not sure we can fairly draw any conclusions about perceived quality based on that alone.

• I'm not entirely convinced that SotC isn't incredibly popular. It's cleared a million copies, has been featured (quite often) in a major hollywood movie, and has been noted as one of only two masterpeices of art by creatice genious in Guillermo del Toro. Disgaea, yes. SotC, no. Hell, it's even getting it's own movie... yes I know, several, realtively unknown games have gotten one as well, but this will likely not be directed by Uwe Boll *shudders*

• Given that what you say undoubtedly applies to many cult games, you haven't provided any evidence that it pertains to this specific game. Unless you mean that it would apply to every cult (or indie) game/movie/band? That would be absurd.

I'm not sure how that even matters. Could LoTR have had the same atmosphere and scale if it were done 40 years ago? Sure, it could have been done well, but it can certainly be better done today. It depends on the type of game, and SoTC is grand in scale.

Being solely dependent on visuals and making great use of them are entirely two different things. SotC makes such wonderful use of the hardware to create a unique atmosphere that probably couldn't have been captured on the DS. 

Finally, the "Team ICO" games are not a series. They are two completely unrelated games, besides the developer.

This has been pointed out already, but they are related. They share a common world, according to the game's director.

See above.

I agree with you here. Zelda has proven it's longevity, although I'm not sure about applying an arbitrary number as to what constitutes as a series. I'm quite sure a series of two installments is referred to as a duology(?). Even if Team Ico's series have yet to stand the test of time, we don't lambast it as blashphemous to compare but rather just say - Wait, we'll see in time.

You have a well presented argument sir. I respect it, but I respectfully disagree.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
pearljammer said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

A few things:

See above.

You have a well presented argument sir. I respect it, but I respectfully disagree.

You like Tom Green?

pearljammer said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
pearljammer said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

A few things:

See above.

You like Tom Green?

lol, what if IRL I was him, sir? Would you not feel shame in your black humorless soul?

NO NO, NO NO NO.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
pearljammer said:

You like Tom Green?

lol, what if IRL I was him, sir? Would you not feel shame in your black humorless soul?

Nah, but I would be curious as to how anyone thought 'How Freddie Got Fingered' was a funny concept for a movie.

In all fairness though, I've never seen his show.